SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chrysler (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chrysler/)
-   -   WHY NOT make my kicker a boat anchor? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chrysler/61646-why-not-make-my-kicker-boat-anchor.html)

SHays 01-29-2010 03:16 PM

WHY NOT make my kicker a boat anchor?

The last time I tried to use my 5hp motor, it wouldn't crank. I went shopping for a little 5hp motor today and the first one had a price tag of 1k. Then I saw oarlocks and the brackets for them, and extra long aluminum paddles. I am thinking...WHY NOT? The guy that sails Strawanza, the Monty 17 had his boat fitted with oarlocks. I know I should have a motor on board to run in from long distances out of storms and such, and it would be handy when the wind comes up heavily, but if I watch the weather...and just trailer sail in the lake...WHY NOT? The motor is no good anymore anyway, and I could stand to lose a few pounds... Just need a board to lay across the side benches in the cockpit to center myself in the boat... hmmm.... spring forth spring, and mr. groundhog, do your thing!

US27inKS 01-29-2010 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHays (Post 565045)
WHY NOT make my kicker a boat anchor?

Because they don't hold very well, unless you get it jammed under a rock.:D

bljones 01-29-2010 03:43 PM

Or you could fix your motor. There is precious little on an old 5 hp OB that can't be fixed by a meth-addicted retarded monkey with a pair of vice grips, a hammer and $100 of spare parts.

See, the thing aboard oars on a sailboat is, when you are not rowing the boat, it seems like the oars are always in the way, as is the rowing seat, unless you design your boat with rowing as a function of the design.

Architeuthis 01-29-2010 04:25 PM

Also it reminds me of our past as slaves (root word Slav) so sailboats with oars, kinda creepy. If you punch holes in the side of the boat for multiple oars and start running around yelling Ramming Speed I doubt you could get anyone to crew for you......willingly anyway. :)

SHays 01-29-2010 06:20 PM

LOL, ok, now for more of the truth: the motor is an old gamefisher, and has had 70 dollars of repairs for nothing. maybe I will try again at a different shop. About the oars business, Strawanza had aluminum oars designed to break down into several parts. Here is a picture of how they mounted the oarlocks:
http://www.msogphotosite.com/MSOG/bn...bnamibia34.jpg
I'm thinking, WHY NOT? It would be better than nothing the next time that little five horse anchor leaves me stranded...

and yes I will probably get the OB repaired when I get some $$.

JWEells 01-29-2010 06:47 PM

Good Viking!!!

Hell, yes, throw the stupid outboard overboard. I gave mine to an otherwise nice person who didn't really deserve the torment years ago, and have been rowing since. You'll be stronger. Younger men than you will look with surprise when they shake your hand. Older men will smile, remembering when being a man meant something, and they'll hand you a beer. You'll be an icon for generations to come and a fellow worth knowing.

bljones 01-29-2010 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHays (Post 565109)

and yes I will probably get the OB repaired when I get some $$.

Now you see, there's your problem right there. You are paying somebody else to fix it.

Don't let anybody try to sugarcoat the nobility of your sudden interest in physical activity, as some sort of heroic gesture, cuz we all know the real story. I could see if you simply really, really like to row, but that's not the case, is it? It's like when you see that guy jogging down the street with his briefcase in Janufrigginary at oh-dark-thirty when the windchill is registering -48 degrees, he is telling his friends and coworkers that he loves jogging, that it is good for him, when the truth is that he cannot afford his mortgage, his child support AND car repairs.
Don't be that guy.

Why not take the sweat and effort you were willing to put into rowing and fix the motor yourself? Be a man! take control of your own destiny! Don't let rudimentary technology best you. If you can figure out the internet, you can fix your outboard.

Do you know WHY outboards were invented?
So.
We.
Did.
Not.
Have.
To.
Row.

Can I get an amen???

SHays 01-29-2010 07:49 PM

Yeah, I'll give you an Amen but I'm telling you right now, that motor will never be the same when I start messing with it. If I do fix it, I will let you know, and you will mark it as a miracle, otherwise, it is going away with no small measure of smug satisfaction.

garyguss 01-30-2010 11:06 AM

Yuloh instead of rowing

Try one of these ... 1 billion chinamen probably are right

Single Oar propulsion - Yuloh, Ro, Scull...

kaluvic 01-30-2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bljones (Post 565121)
Now you see, there's your problem right there. You are paying somebody else to fix it.

Don't let anybody try to sugarcoat the nobility of your sudden interest in physical activity, as some sort of heroic gesture, cuz we all know the real story. I could see if you simply really, really like to row, but that's not the case, is it? It's like when you see that guy jogging down the street with his briefcase in Janufrigginary at oh-dark-thirty when the windchill is registering -48 degrees, he is telling his friends and coworkers that he loves jogging, that it is good for him, when the truth is that he cannot afford his mortgage, his child support AND car repairs.
Don't be that guy.

Why not take the sweat and effort you were willing to put into rowing and fix the motor yourself? Be a man! take control of your own destiny! Don't let rudimentary technology best you. If you can figure out the internet, you can fix your outboard.

Do you know WHY outboards were invented?
So.
We.
Did.
Not.
Have.
To.
Row.

Can I get an amen???

AMEN!