Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Chrysler
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2010

SHays is on a distinguished road
Cool WHY NOT make my kicker a boat anchor?

The last time I tried to use my 5hp motor, it wouldn't crank. I went shopping for a little 5hp motor today and the first one had a price tag of 1k. Then I saw oarlocks and the brackets for them, and extra long aluminum paddles. I am thinking...WHY NOT? The guy that sails Strawanza, the Monty 17 had his boat fitted with oarlocks. I know I should have a motor on board to run in from long distances out of storms and such, and it would be handy when the wind comes up heavily, but if I watch the weather...and just trailer sail in the lake...WHY NOT? The motor is no good anymore anyway, and I could stand to lose a few pounds... Just need a board to lay across the side benches in the cockpit to center myself in the boat... hmmm.... spring forth spring, and mr. groundhog, do your thing!
Old 01-29-2010
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHays View Post
WHY NOT make my kicker a boat anchor?
Because they don't hold very well, unless you get it jammed under a rock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Or you could fix your motor. There is precious little on an old 5 hp OB that can't be fixed by a meth-addicted retarded monkey with a pair of vice grips, a hammer and $100 of spare parts.

See, the thing aboard oars on a sailboat is, when you are not rowing the boat, it seems like the oars are always in the way, as is the rowing seat, unless you design your boat with rowing as a function of the design.
Old 01-29-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
Also it reminds me of our past as slaves (root word Slav) so sailboats with oars, kinda creepy. If you punch holes in the side of the boat for multiple oars and start running around yelling Ramming Speed I doubt you could get anyone to crew for you......willingly anyway.
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P
Old 01-29-2010

LOL, ok, now for more of the truth: the motor is an old gamefisher, and has had 70 dollars of repairs for nothing. maybe I will try again at a different shop. About the oars business, Strawanza had aluminum oars designed to break down into several parts. Here is a picture of how they mounted the oarlocks:
http://www.msogphotosite.com/MSOG/bn...bnamibia34.jpg
I'm thinking, WHY NOT? It would be better than nothing the next time that little five horse anchor leaves me stranded...

and yes I will probably get the OB repaired when I get some $$.

Last edited by SHays; 01-29-2010 at 05:21 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-29-2010

JWEells is on a distinguished road
Good Viking!!!

Hell, yes, throw the stupid outboard overboard. I gave mine to an otherwise nice person who didn't really deserve the torment years ago, and have been rowing since. You'll be stronger. Younger men than you will look with surprise when they shake your hand. Older men will smile, remembering when being a man meant something, and they'll hand you a beer. You'll be an icon for generations to come and a fellow worth knowing.
Old 01-29-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHays View Post

and yes I will probably get the OB repaired when I get some $$.
Now you see, there's your problem right there. You are paying somebody else to fix it.

Don't let anybody try to sugarcoat the nobility of your sudden interest in physical activity, as some sort of heroic gesture, cuz we all know the real story. I could see if you simply really, really like to row, but that's not the case, is it? It's like when you see that guy jogging down the street with his briefcase in Janufrigginary at oh-dark-thirty when the windchill is registering -48 degrees, he is telling his friends and coworkers that he loves jogging, that it is good for him, when the truth is that he cannot afford his mortgage, his child support AND car repairs.
Don't be that guy.

Why not take the sweat and effort you were willing to put into rowing and fix the motor yourself? Be a man! take control of your own destiny! Don't let rudimentary technology best you. If you can figure out the internet, you can fix your outboard.

Do you know WHY outboards were invented?
So.
We.
Did.
Not.
Have.
To.
Row.

Can I get an amen???
Old 01-29-2010

Yeah, I'll give you an Amen but I'm telling you right now, that motor will never be the same when I start messing with it. If I do fix it, I will let you know, and you will mark it as a miracle, otherwise, it is going away with no small measure of smug satisfaction.
Old 01-30-2010

garyguss is on a distinguished road
Yuloh instead of rowing

Try one of these ... 1 billion chinamen probably are right

Single Oar propulsion - Yuloh, Ro, Scull...
Old 01-30-2010

kaluvic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Now you see, there's your problem right there. You are paying somebody else to fix it.

Don't let anybody try to sugarcoat the nobility of your sudden interest in physical activity, as some sort of heroic gesture, cuz we all know the real story. I could see if you simply really, really like to row, but that's not the case, is it? It's like when you see that guy jogging down the street with his briefcase in Janufrigginary at oh-dark-thirty when the windchill is registering -48 degrees, he is telling his friends and coworkers that he loves jogging, that it is good for him, when the truth is that he cannot afford his mortgage, his child support AND car repairs.
Don't be that guy.

Why not take the sweat and effort you were willing to put into rowing and fix the motor yourself? Be a man! take control of your own destiny! Don't let rudimentary technology best you. If you can figure out the internet, you can fix your outboard.

Do you know WHY outboards were invented?
So.
We.
Did.
Not.
Have.
To.
Row.

Can I get an amen???

AMEN!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.