Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Columbia & Coronado
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2009

tbeagley is on a distinguished road
need advice on challenger glass work SOP

I am doing some glass work on the bottom of the keel of my Columbia challenger. The boat is held up with five stands, and two sets of blocks on the bottom. I am nervous about removing the blocks. I have seen some pictures of the challenger on a cradle with the entire bottom of the keel exposed but I'm not sure if the stands would support the hull enough to remove the blocks. My current plan is to start from the back and work to the front (so the seams are overlapping to be streamlined) then jacking the stern end up, put new blocks further back under the keel with shims, and remove the other rear blocks and keep working forward. Any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2009
Somewhat Flexible Member

ssneade will become famous soon enough
hey tad, scott again. i also had to do glass work on my contender. yours is a columbia 24 according to the pics. a challenger is a flush deck model with the same hull as the 24 as the contender is also the same hull with a shorter cabin and 4 in less freeboard. my boat was in a cradle when i bought it, and i used 4 screw jack stands to lift her high enough to do work on the bottom of the keel.sure i was nervous, but i chained them together so they wouldn't kick out from her. when i was finished i lowered her back onto the cradle. those screw jacke should be available at any boat yard to rent or borrow for a few days. have everything ready to go when you get started so you can complete asap. but before you do, let her set on the jacks for a day to settle in. good luck................
Old 03-01-2009

Yeah I know its a contender, I always say challenger for some reason. I'm not as worried about the stands kicking out as the added pressure pushing through the hull when i raise it.Thanks again for the shoe, fits great!
Old 03-02-2009
Somewhat Flexible Member

hey tad, if you have decent sized pads on the jacks ie 1 ft square then no problem. these old boats have twice the glass in them as other boats. you may get a little oil canning effect, but that won't hurt anything. is the hull id plate still in the cabin? i'm curious as to what hull # and classification she is. it will be located just aft of the bulkhead on the starboard side below the sink about a foot above the sole. is she all wood interior or have a fiberglass liner? regardless, she will be tougher and more able than her 24 foot counterparts. and probably one of the most easy to sail boats around. but check closely where the chainplates bolt to the bulkheads for wood deterioration and repair as necessary. i'm telling you man, you're gonna have a lot of fun in thay old girl, and she'll do you well.....
Old 03-08-2009

Hey Scott, Her hull number is 261. There is a fiberglass liner on the inside. Just a little nervous about taking those blocks out. I finished the companionway hatch today, I'll get the pix up soon, I really outdid myself this time!
Old 03-08-2009
Somewhat Flexible Member

hey tad, if you look at this shot you can see where the jacks (smaller pads, angled posts) were placed in order to raise her enough to do the glass work on the bottom of the keel. the cradle pads are the larger ones with the vertical posts. the forward jacks are easier to see, but if you look closely, you can see the ones at the stern. she is completely supported by those four skimpy looking jacks. and without hardly any oil canning. your boat is as strong or stronger than her and she won't fall apart on you......
Attached Thumbnails
need advice on challenger glass work SOP-sail5.jpg  
Old 03-08-2009
Somewhat Flexible Member

hey tad, is this your boat? there is a C-24 supposed to be hull 261 out of hingham, mass. this is on the columbia yacht owners association owners registry. named Dreams. she's a beaut.........
Attached Thumbnails
need advice on challenger glass work SOP-c24-dreams.jpg  
Old 03-09-2009
Somewhat Flexible Member

oh yeah, when raising her off the blocks, take your time. forward jacks up an inch, then aft jacks up an inch. repeat as necessary until the keel is off the blocks. lower it back in the same fashion. just be careful. i had a childhood friend (cousin) killed in baltimore in the late seventies, early eighties when a support gave way. maybe i'm paranoid, but you can't be too safe underneath a boat.............
Old 03-22-2009

Scott, try to picture this companion-way hatch on that boat. I still have to stain and varnish it but its done.need advice on challenger glass work SOP-tads.hatch.cover.2%5B1%5D.jpg

need advice on challenger glass work SOP-tads.hatch.cover.3%5B1%5D.jpg

need advice on challenger glass work SOP-tads.hatch.cover1%5B1%5D.jpg
Old 03-29-2009
Somewhat Flexible Member

oh yeah, you're good alright. an artist as well as a musician? quite the talented young man. i'm thinking of upgrading to a defender. the price is right, just need to work out terms.