SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Columbia & Coronado (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/columbia-coronado/)
-   -   contender back from the dead (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/columbia-coronado/55336-contender-back-dead.html)

tbeagley 06-15-2009 12:50 AM

contender back from the dead

3 Attachment(s)
Finally putting up the after pics on my contender Ive been working on all winter. Picked her up November 08 and she went in June 2nd 09.Attachment 4030

Attachment 4031

Attachment 4032

hope I put these pics right. More pics to come. I rebuilt the interior and I am going to get a bunch of before and afters up. there is just so little time when your trying to harvest the fruits of your labor!

joeybkcmo 06-15-2009 02:18 AM

sweet, look forward to more pics

wingandwing 06-25-2009 11:13 PM

She's beautiful, you did a nice job.

I like the name too. Have you considered a self furling headsail?

ssneade 06-26-2009 06:30 PM

good for you, tad.

i knew she'd be all that and more.......

ssneade 06-26-2009 06:40 PM

does she not handle as well as i said? and if you noticed, she'll keep up with a lot of them new fangled fin keelers. don't let a little spray ruin your day. get wet, it's fun..........

tbeagley 06-28-2009 11:34 PM

Handles like a dream. Leaving saturday for a 5-8 day cruise around cape cod and the islands. Had a little issue with water getting in to the lazarett from the engine well. took the last few days to raise the bottom of the lazarett two inches above the opening of the well and sloping down to even to the top of the well with a new scupper 4 inches higher. now in putting stainless steel engine vents (Scrapper off a catalina 27 at a junk yard) flush to the deck without worry of any water getting in, it has nowhere to go but right out. There is still room for a 6 gal fuel tank on the port side and my grill and propane tanks on the starboard (both held in with cargo netting.) I have to get on the ball with the interior pics, its the best part. all new cushions, new counters, new stove all interior wood refinished. new electronics; GPS chart plotter, depth finder, radio, and stereo. hope she holds together next week. few thin spots in the sails that I have to patch. anyone know of contender/challenger sails in decent shape at a decent price? are challenger and contender sails the same? I have a main, a genoa, and a working jib. I would love to get a storm jib and a spare main. getting allot of good looks and loving it! got to get sailing... the journey's the thing.

ssneade 06-29-2009 06:56 PM

tad, i'm green with envy.

the luff on a challenger sail is approximately two feet shorter than the contender, according to boat specs on the cyoa website.
contender:
I 100% jib luff 30.1 ft
J 100% jib foot 8.8 ft
P main luff 27.0 ft
E main foot 11.5 ft
challenger:
I 100% jib luff 30.1 ft
J 100% jib foot 9.0 ft
P main luff 25.0 ft
E main foot 11.5 ft

there lots of used sail websites that may have what you need at a reasonable price. i need to remeasure my main, 'cause my boom is too low to suit me.
i was told if you find something that is a little shorter in those dimensions, it will matter little, but i would stay as close to the originals as possible. longer is NOT an option.
also, check out the sailrite sail database for a cross reference.
fairwinds.........

ps still interested in your old companionway hatch, if you still have it.