Old 02-16-2012
Schedule? Yeh RIGHT!

LookoutNW is on a distinguished road
What happened to the rest of the boat?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2012

BreakAwayFL is on a distinguished road
Re: The Trouble With Columbias

The trouble with Columbia's is that nobody will give me a Columbia 34 MKII. Do that and I promise to be very active in here.

On a serious note, hello to all of my Columbia Cousins from a Coronado owner. Someday I hope to switch over to your side of the family!
Insanity Later
Walker Bay Dingy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-23-2012
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road

Prices have really come down. There are a few Columbias that hold their value better than the others, and the 34 MKII is one of them. Probably because of the really spacious interior and layout. There is one across from my 36 at the marina. If we didn't own the 36, I may have looked at the 34s.

One thing I did notice. With all that freeboard the wind really kicks her around while tied up. We had a gale blow through last weekend, and I watched her heel much farther over than our boat. Made me glad we chose the 36, as we really enjoy sailing our sailboat.

I've seen several 34s in the sub $10k range, so they're going down with the rest of the market.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 03-23-2012

BreakAwayFL is on a distinguished road

Not so good for existing owners, but good for future owners like me (I hope). I'm hoping to stay as close to 10k as possible. I know she won't be perfect at that price, but I'm hoping for a mechanically sound girl that might just look ugly. Ugly I can fix over time. Mechanical I can't sail until it's sound. Anyway, getting offtrack here.

Once we get a better handle on sailing my 25 we'll be looking in that size range, and those prices (even if requiring a little elbow grease) certainly make them more accessible to a regular Joe like me.

Now, Tomperanteau, if you could sit back objectively and make believe you didn't buy the 36, which would you select today?

Now for me, I'm looking for something suitable for both daycruising the fair waters in the Florida Keys, but also capable of living aboard for two weeks while sailing in the Bahamas, potentially in the H-Word season.

Draft is important, but stiffness under sail is important to me as well, because we can have a beautiful calm sunny day here, with a 50 mph squall out of nowhere in the afternoon.

I'm torn between the 34 and the 36, but don't yet know enough about either to speak much about them, other than the yearning (you know what I mean!) when I see one sail past.
Insanity Later
Walker Bay Dingy

Old 03-23-2012
Crotchety Old Member

What I would choose today is a loaded question, and please call me Tom.

We were on a limited budget, with permanently retiring to the south Pacific being our goal. We could have spent $100k on something bigger/nicer, but preferred to find a modest but sound boat. Budget permitting, we'd be on a 51 foot Formosa, but not being the case, Columbias are solid and affordable. We paid $15k for ours, and she had recent rigging and a new diesel in her. Now we have plenty of money to make her what we want, and we have made many improvements.

What we looked at in that price range that we really liked, was the Columbia 39, which is cavernous inside. Lots of headroom over 6'5" and lots of storage. It looks almost identical to the 34 MKII, being a Bill Tripp design, but is bigger. The larger Columbias (43 and up) from the late 60's through mid 70's are all fairly well built, although opinions vary. From what I understand later in the 70's they were built lighter and the quality may not have been there. Early 70's back the hulls were thick and sturdy. You can find deals on these boats, and you can, depending on their condition, sail them pretty much anywhere their draft permits. Drafts are mostly between six and seven feet. For your use, that may be an issue.

Aside from Columbias, we looked at Catalinas, too. They have a higher resale, are larger/beamier, but aren't recommended for offshore unless you do mods. Our Columbia 36, by the way, has made several passages from Hawaii to California. Others have circumnavigated on the 36, too. We really liked the Catalinas, but we planned on blue water, so they weren't in our plans.

If the price of diesel wasn't so high we might have opted for a motorsailer, and our second boat was, but we wanted a fast sloop for our plans. There are many other options available in your price range now that the market has softened so much. If you're in the 30 foot range and are mainly looking for coastal cruising, I would first look at the Catalina 30. Wide beam, nice interior, people say a fun sailer.

Hope this helps.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 03-24-2012
Schedule? Yeh RIGHT!

YOu can check out the Columbia Yacht Owners Assoc in Yahooo groupd. It is very active and is a wealth of info on all models and pro and con of each. Personally, I am a bit biased. I wanted a Formosa 51, but settled fortunately for a Col 45. I am very happpy, and I will probably see Tom in the S PAc someday, if he can keep up....
Old 03-24-2012
Schedule? Yeh RIGHT!

Col 43 and 45 same hull, just 2' plug in it to make it 45. PLUS A WHOLE LOT OF UPPER DECK, and major below deck differences. Great liveaboard and sailor
Old 03-24-2012
Crotchety Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookoutNW View Post
YOu can check out the Columbia Yacht Owners Assoc in Yahooo groupd. It is very active and is a wealth of info on all models and pro and con of each. Personally, I am a bit biased. I wanted a Formosa 51, but settled fortunately for a Col 45. I am very happpy, and I will probably see Tom in the S PAc someday, if he can keep up....
I'll be there. You'll be able to see me quite a ways off your bow.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

Old 03-24-2012
Schedule? Yeh RIGHT!

Probably, I am no longer a RAcer, and I NEVER race my wallet!
I usually am under canvassed, and auto pilot on, and a warm or cold non-alcoholic drink in my hand when sailing. Maybe even popping down for a snack or to make a good meal.
Solo sailing, I even get little naps along the way depending on location and speed and warmth of teh sun.
LIfe is good, but hoipefully better later on this year. I hope to see you on my way to Paradise as I head south this year, Sale of house permitting.
souljour2000 and tomperanteau like this.
Old 04-25-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road

The problem with Columbias was that they didn't get replaced as the boat factory with a bad rep equal to their good rep until Hunter came along and became the new "bigbox" bad boys among boat builders....Both companies were innovators...due to their having alot of top-notch designers of the day in their stables...Also Columbia was victim of success it seems early on...and there were alot of family feuds by the late 1960's...By then..they were building so many boats and models that of course some of them were gonna be lemons and corners were cut here in there to keep up with production schedules...the whole fall of the Soviet Empire thing...

Last edited by souljour2000; 04-25-2012 at 07:43 AM.