Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Columbia & Coronado
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: The Trouble With Columbias

In 1977 my dad bought a 1975 Columbia 45. The massive cabin space was a big draw for him. And it was a big cabin for a sailboat. I didn't see one 45' monohull at the Annapolis boat show this year that had more cabin space. I don't think it's possible unless you add a second story.

I'm guessing I probably sailed/motored 7-8K miles on it. And I got to know that boat like the back of my hand. Even today, you could put me on that boat and I could fix just about anything wrong with it that wasn't major.

We put that boat through hell. And it held up and kept on going. My dad owned it for almost 20 years. It was sold after he died.

As I continue my search for the one and only boat I will own in my life, I find myself sneaking peaks at the Columbia 45's on the market. I have a lot of great memories from that boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2012
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road

The 45s were great, strong boats. Lots of room, as you stated. I would not have any trouble buying another Columbia, as they seemed to be the workhorse of their day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 10-19-2012
freedom seeker

tapske is on a distinguished road

Recently picked up a Columbia 9.6.

I LOVE this boat....(love the SOLID FG....no hidden sandwich for rot to hide) sails like a dream, it almost begs you to make her heel more !!

Engine 1100 hours, clean as clean gets, not a drop of oil on pan.... and AMAZINGLY not a drop of water in bilge areas.... immaculant for a 76-78 model. (Interesting thing about this boat title/Documentation says 1976 but NADA says there was no '76 only a '78..... odd)

I got VERY lucky, last owner was retired...divorced....and this was his baby... he spent days just rubbing it down with diaper...and polishing things.... He was also an elect. engineer, so I got it outfitted with all the latest and greatest NAV. equip. including GPS linked auto-pilot, and wind-vane auto (of course), 24 mile radar, side-scan sonar... etc...etc...

My ONLY "fine" tuning gripe is, the backstay is in an awkward position while seated at helm. but that is a small price to pay for the sweet all-around of this boat. It handles almsot like a racer..... but has circum-nav. credentials.

Less cabin space than the hunter 32 i was partners in... but still decent space. so no worries there.

I do however wish I could get a pre-fabbed cocpit guard rail assembly that has the perch seats. (not just the 45 degree cross-braces to attach to existing rails, but one that actually sticks out on the quarters like it should). I feel this would give the cocpit more than enough room for 4 people to comfortably hang out. Right noe 4 is not a big issue....but could be a little better.

fair winds.....

---tapske...
NIF
Old 10-22-2012

Glen53 is on a distinguished road

If anyone is interested I know where a couple of the Columbia molds are located. Back in the late 1980s my brother bought them along with some Ranger molds in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I believe Lancer had owned them, and redesigned the 39’ / 41’ into a center cockpit with a raised coach top, but I am not sure if they produced any. My brother’s plan at that time was to start producing them under the name of Saint Clair Yachts. The dream of him and his partner never fully metalized, and only 2 boats were ever built, a 41’ center cockpit ketch and a 37’. I know those molds along with the 25’ and 28’ Rangers are presently stored at a farm in St Clair, Michigan, waiting for their next revival. So the Columbia story may not be over with.
Old 10-28-2012

emoney is on a distinguished road

Let's say a guy, a "friend" of mine, for conversation sake, was looking at a Columbia 8.7. We'll say, again to keep the story flowing, that he doesn't have a 'lot' of sailing experience, having spent about a year on a 22 footer and then 6 months on a Newport 27'. Our subject, sees himself spending most of the time toying around in the Gulf of Mexico, with the Keys in his sights within a year, and possibly a hop over to the near Bahamas shortly after that. Within a group of folks crossing the jet stream, of course.

If this particular story unfolded, what should I....ahem...."the guy" look for in these boats? I've....he's.....read there were a few different builders of this particular vessel, and in this case, the possible boat is a 1976 vintage. Anything inherrent? Interesting looking keel configuration on these boats, how does she sail with a novice at the helm? If I were to assume these were sandwiched decks, with balsa, would I be correct? Thanks in advance and I'll pass along this info to my buddy. heh, heh, heh.
Old 11-07-2012

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

The "trouble with Columbias"?

Is that I can't find the one I want; let alone in my price range! I missed one just this past week...Oh my! Day late and a grand short.... Oh Well
That... and there's soooo many to chose from.
Old 11-08-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoney View Post
Let's say a guy, a "friend" of mine, for conversation sake, was looking at a Columbia 8.7. We'll say, again to keep the story flowing, that he doesn't have a 'lot' of sailing experience, having spent about a year on a 22 footer and then 6 months on a Newport 27'. Our subject, sees himself spending most of the time toying around in the Gulf of Mexico, with the Keys in his sights within a year, and possibly a hop over to the near Bahamas shortly after that. Within a group of folks crossing the jet stream, of course.

If this particular story unfolded, what should I....ahem...."the guy" look for in these boats? I've....he's.....read there were a few different builders of this particular vessel, and in this case, the possible boat is a 1976 vintage. Anything inherrent? Interesting looking keel configuration on these boats, how does she sail with a novice at the helm? If I were to assume these were sandwiched decks, with balsa, would I be correct? Thanks in advance and I'll pass along this info to my buddy. heh, heh, heh.
Can you relay this to your "buddy"?

I can't speak to the 8.7 but I can say the 45 my dad had was built in 1975. He bought it in 1977. He had it until the day he died, almost 20 years later. I knew the boat very well. It was built like a tank.

My dad had almost no experience with sailboats. Yet that never stopped him from going where he wanted. You learn as you go. But there's nothing wrong from learning from those who know.

I installed a few things in the deck and yes, they were balsa cored. Nothing wrong with that. It's very common for decks.

There's an excellent book by Don Casey called Inspecting The Aging Sailboat. You can get it on Amazon. Buy the book and take it with you when you look at the boat. If you do everything as described in the book, you will be doing a very thorough examination and it should give you a pretty good idea if this is the boat you want to buy.
tomperanteau likes this.
Old 02-03-2013

boating2go is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
In 1977 my dad bought a 1975 Columbia 45. The massive cabin space was a big draw for him. And it was a big cabin for a sailboat. I didn't see one 45' monohull at the Annapolis boat show this year that had more cabin space. I don't think it's possible unless you add a second story.

I'm guessing I probably sailed/motored 7-8K miles on it. And I got to know that boat like the back of my hand. Even today, you could put me on that boat and I could fix just about anything wrong with it that wasn't major.

We put that boat through hell. And it held up and kept on going. My dad owned it for almost 20 years. It was sold after he died.

As I continue my search for the one and only boat I will own in my life, I find myself sneaking peaks at the Columbia 45's on the market. I have a lot of great memories from that boat.
I bought a C45 in September and love it. The cabin room makes for a very comfortable boat. Overall we are very happy.
Old 02-06-2013

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road

I wonder who has the C-38/C-40 molds...anyone?
Old 02-08-2013

Magnolia is on a distinguished road

The trouble with Columbia's is that I am not on mine right now. Hopefully, if the weather holds out...Monday soon come!