Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Columbia & Coronado
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
The Trouble With Columbias

The main trouble with Columbia sailboats, is that there are a LOT of owners out there, and a lot of which read this forum, but no one seems to respond to interact in this, or any other, forum.

Perhaps a bit more participation and opinion on our boats might be a plus.
c-28 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2011

Rick83 is on a distinguished road
We just bought a 78 Columbia 8.3. Overall good condition but it's a sailboat so we will have plenty to do.
There is play in the cutlass, about 1/16TH up to down. Nothing side to side.
We are on the Chesapeake and will use on the weekends, we are local so we are within 1 mile of marina. Should I put off the cutlass until next pre-season and just get this boat out and sail, or what? The cutlass is in the keel and not strut.
Old 04-01-2011

Radicalcy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Radicalcy
Rick,
Unless you have gallons of water running into the bilge, that amount of play shouldn't cause any major problems. You could get some wear on your prop shaft if you run countless hours, but should be fine if you're just using the engine to get in and out of the slip.
Just for general knowledge, the official Columbia Owners website is Here: columbiasailingyachts : Columbia Sailing Yachts
You'll find all the answers to all the questions, and it's a very active group.
Most of the owners gave up on the alternative forums when they changed formats, or ownership a few years ago.
boating2go likes this.
Old 04-01-2011

Radicalcy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Radicalcy
Columbia's leave all the others in the dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by souljour2000 View Post
Yeah..I agree....according to some authorities...those old hulls should be turning to dust in the seaways by now...as the Captains Incredulous suddenly find themselves in the drink....Why so few reports though ?.

.....Just because I have never heard of that happening to any of them may mean these incidents are going under-reported...at least in regard to the 1960's models before the factory moved to Virginia or wherever...not sure about some of the later Columbias...probably will be turning to dust by the end of the decade though..just you wait....
There are probably more old Columbia's still around than just about any other make from the 60's. And if you go here, alot of them are still active and sailing.
Columbia Yacht Owners Association
Larry Wilson
RedneckNparadise likes this.
Old 09-26-2011
Schedule? Yeh RIGHT!

LookoutNW is on a distinguished road
1973/4 Columbia / SailCrafter 45 SV Dawn Treader. SWEET BOAT. Almost done outfitting for long term, offshore cruising. Tough as they come, rhobust and roomy.
Old 12-05-2011

ColombiaSail is on a distinguished road
gotta Columbia 40 centreboarder 1965 in great shape. heck i even have the original jibs for it. took them to north sails to confirm it. the steel skeleton is intact too! real happy with the boat.
Old 12-07-2011
Schedule? Yeh RIGHT!

LookoutNW is on a distinguished road
Congrats on the C40. I believe it was Eric White, original guy of the CYOA had a 40, Pelago. Lots of great info on the CYOA yahoo blog.
Old 12-15-2011
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
I've taken a mid 70's, 40 something foot Trip Columbia down to the Rio Dulce on three different occasions. The exact year and length has escaped my memory, But the way it handled the Yucatan Channel in a norther hasn't. I surely would have been Knocked down if not for all that free board. Last time I deliverd it, I stayed east of the Channel and ran the non-stop route via the Bay Islands, made it in 6 day's. Boat sail's like a witch. The same for the 25' Trip. I sailed south from Key West one night on A full moon and 15knt east wind, which had the gulf stream stacked, and the boat took it like a champ. The Sparkman/Stephens Columbia's are awesome as well. I deliverd a 1967 29' one to Bimini from Key West a few years back and the straights were boiling. Same thing, Boat took all comers. Thing is with Columbia's, it's all about the designer. I can testify that the Trip's and Spark's are great boat's. The older the better as far as I'm concerned. My buddy is debating over weather to buy a 1980 Cal 31 or the 1966 Cal 36' And I talked him into the '66. I told him a '66 Cal will Drive right thru a 1980 anything. My personel boat, which was my Granddad's, is '65 soverel 28'. I coated it with West System 17 years ago and I think it's still bullet proof.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 12-16-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-23-2012
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Ours, a '69 Crealock 36 footer, has been a joy to sail. We've only put about a thousand miles on her, but she sails like a bandit in light winds, and does great in heavier. The diesel is being rebuilt as I post this and I can't wait to get her back out to Catalina Island!
jameso likes this.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.

Last edited by tomperanteau; 02-16-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-16-2012
K32 coming through!

Nick Hill is on a distinguished road
Ive got a 9.6 hull.