Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Columbia & Coronado
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Re: looking to buy a 1969 columbia 36 footer

We bought a 1969 Columbia 36 two years ago and have done an extensive refit to make her ready for the southern Pacific.

Ours had an original Wilcox toilet that was plumed directly over the side, as was typical for this time. Ours was almost completely stock - no one had screwed her up yet. She also had a new Yanmar 30, so she was a great platform for what we wanted to do.

The 36 was a Crealock design and was really fast. The problem with all Columbias back then was that they were more of a poor man's sailboat. You got a LOT of bang for your buck, but not a lot of teak or amenities. We've cut storage and cabinet space where there was none to solve some of the storage issues, and a lot more. There is a complete list of what we've done thus far, on my blog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperanteau View Post
We bought a 1969 Columbia 36 two years ago and have done an extensive refit to make her ready for the southern Pacific.

Ours had an original Wilcox toilet that was plumed directly over the side, as was typical for this time. Ours was almost completely stock - no one had screwed her up yet. She also had a new Yanmar 30, so she was a great platform for what we wanted to do.

The 36 was a Crealock design and was really fast. The problem with all Columbias back then was that they were more of a poor man's sailboat. You got a LOT of bang for your buck, but not a lot of teak or amenities. We've cut storage and cabinet space where there was none to solve some of the storage issues, and a lot more. There is a complete list of what we've done thus far, on my blog.
I see it differently..I think that Columbia in those days..invested in a lead mine or two somewhere instead of a teak plantation..God knows there's enough topside teak with the cockpit coamings and toe-rails though.There's enough teak trim around ever fixture inside the cabin to pull off the "Herreschoff-look" while still alllowing many of their boats to have huge sea-comfort and small anti-capsize numbers even in the shoal draft categories due to the lesser weight above waterline......putting 6-8 k of lead into 100 lb packages and glassing them in individually into a keel matrix is alot harder than bolting on a big heavy Iron keel and glassing over the bolt heads...so they spent some man-hours where it counts. My '66 C-40 probably has the cubic foot room of a 70's-90's 34-36-footer...she's very nimble for her 18,000 gross.....Non-bluewater features of my boat IMHO are the keel-stepped mast and big salon windows....as well as sub-standard hatches...I plan to deal with the hatches and salon windows... and according to some...the keel-stepped mast...but that'
s a toss up...some like ;'em to break away when they break... will have to just be...if original it seems to be holding up great...

Last edited by souljour2000; 09-19-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-18-2012

gon2sea is on a distinguished road

ive owned 4 columbia's, a 43, a 30, and now a 36 and a 29 ( the S@S designed, not the newer Alan payne.) the common weak link and thing to look for are the keel bolts, after 40 plus years they might need attention. the 36 hull is pretty sturdy and she sails very well, very comparable to an islander 36.
lots of storage but water and fuel capacity is limited, but again, very easy to fix as there is plenty of room.
here is a link to my 36 project, expected eta for 2 year cruise is in 2 months....

https://picasaweb.google.com/1049052...ey=VSanctpnQjM
Old 06-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gon2sea View Post
ive owned 4 columbia's, a 43, a 30, and now a 36 and a 29 ( the S@S designed, not the newer Alan payne.) the common weak link and thing to look for are the keel bolts, after 40 plus years they might need attention. the 36 hull is pretty sturdy and she sails very well, very comparable to an islander 36.
lots of storage but water and fuel capacity is limited, but again, very easy to fix as there is plenty of room.
here is a link to my 36 project, expected eta for 2 year cruise is in 2 months....

S&S Columbia 29 has no keel bolts..it's a dropin pored type keel..or really "laid in"..the C-36 is likeley a bolt-on...yeah
Old 06-18-2012
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gon2sea View Post

Hey, Eric. Been following your progress on your 36 and it is impressive. I look forward to reading about your voyaging. We'll be out there at least several months later than you - plan on late this year to head south. Which islands are you heading for?

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 09-19-2013

That was an extremely impressive retro-fitting he displayed on Picasa...maybe he's in Borneo by now...
tomperanteau likes this.