Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Columbia & Coronado
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2012

mjpublic is on a distinguished road
looking to buy a 1969 columbia 36 footer

Hi,

I just found a Columbia 36 1969 sailboat on craigslist. I already gone to the boat and talked with the owner, who is mechanic at marina its moored at.

Its priced at 5500 dollars. Overall it seems to be in good shape for its age, though it is what I call a fixer upper. Rigging is in good shape, along with sails. Nav lights need replacement but thats no big deal. The Diesel engine was just refurbished but needs fuel lines put in. The bottom of the Hull needs to be repainted. This seems to be the biggest thing that needs to be done, there is some paint left but I see fiberglass. If I buy this boat I plan to paint the bottom myself. I do have a lot of experience in painting boats, including painting hull of largest USA submarine. That said, if I buy the boat any recommendations on good paint to buy, I want to repaint it navy blue?

The insides seem to be in good shape, electrical works, though i probably would want to update some of the wiring to support a TV and fridge. Also start work on putting in solar/wind system.

Last, I forgot to ask the seller this question but does this have marine sanitation device or sewage holding tank. I believe it doesnt and I know many states require such. If this doesnt have one how hard is it to put one in?

Last I totally understand this is variable on sailors experience and overall condition, but how does this boat design handle in open ocean say sailing Across pacific to places like say Hawaii or Tahiti?

Thanks

Michael

PS feel free to email me at mjpublic@gmail.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
Re: looking to buy a 1969 columbia 36 footer

If you plan on buying this boat, get a good surveyor to go over it top to bottom. He/she can answer a lot of your questions.
Old 06-09-2012

A couple of things....
Don't do anything until the owner gets the engine running so it can be checked out.
Sanitation requirements aren't just some states, they are federal requirements and you can't discharge untreated waste, so you need either a holding tank or some kind of waste treatment system and even with that, there are "no discharge zones that don't even allow for treated waste, so a holding tank is your best bet.
Have you taken any boating courses? I'm guessing not. You need at the minimum, a boating safety class and preferably, a seamanship class.
Old 06-09-2012

Okay,

Thanks for your reply though much of what you said I am already aware of. My questions was with in relationship to this model of boat. I had just seen the boat the other day and doing research on that type of boat.

Engine is non issue even if it doesnt work, it could easily be repaired by my friends who are Aux Machinists who are experts in diesels. Plus I can always use an outboard (it has mounting for such)

As far as boating courses, just side note, basic watches I stand include helmsman and also lookout.

Mike
Old 06-09-2012

Just so you know, for many reasons, an outboard on a 36' sailboat is really out of the question. Don't even consider it.
tomperanteau likes this.
Old 06-09-2012

I really am not worried about the engine for me as factor in getting boat its a non issue. Even if the sailboat had no engine in it, it wouldnt be a problem for me.
Old 06-09-2012

That's fine about the engine.
A couple more things, I know you are asking about a Columbia, but you might want to go over the the "Boat purchase and review" forum. A LOT more people read that forum and you will get more response to your questions.
Regarding the classes I suggested, I can't answer for you since you don't list your location, but a lot of states require you take a boating safety class no matter how much experience you have.
Old 06-09-2012

I am not worried about all about boat safety class due to my work. Its non issue for me. I am here for specifics on this model. Not trivial stuff like boat safety class or engines which arent even an issue for me given were I work at.
Old 06-09-2012

Like I said, got to the boat purchase and review forum if you want answers to your questions. less than a 100 people have read this thread and I'm the only one who has responded. 10 times more people will read it there and chances are good you will get a lot more responses.
Old 06-09-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road

Columbia 36 ...should be plenty to read at Columbia Yacht Owners website..you will have to join..it is a yahoo group...easy to join...then do search for "columbia 36". There will be alot of posts...takes a little time to read through them...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.