SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

additional potable water tank location

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  bcogg1 
#1 ·
im looking for space for a water tank in my coronado 34. i think 50 gallons would be great for cruising in mexico. the space i found is the water heater compartment behind the engine compartment. 50 gallons is about 400 lbs.

is 400lbs added next to the rudder post too much weight?

#2 ·
Hey Izzy;
I've found that even 50-100 lbs. of chain will change the charactaristics of my 26' boat, so I imagine that 400 lbs would be a significant change. I'm a big fan of soft water tankage, which I've found at boat salvage yards from time to time. I'm on the west coast, and BLUE PELICAN in Alameda CA, and MINNIES YACHTS in (I think Ventura or somewhere in the SoCal area?) both have rotating stock and sometimes have soft tanks. They drop into an area, only fill that area, and require minimal plumbing. They can also be removed for very easy cleaning or purification. I'd aim for midship locations, such as under quarterbirths or in lazarettes. And if you are able to acquire several small ones, say 20-30 gallons each, it spreads the load out even more and if they are contaminated (mexico water...) it only affects a portion of your water supply. Good Luck, and Fair Seas!!
Cheers,
Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.