SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

New Boat owner moving boat to Anacortes

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Alex W 
#1 ·
Moving my recently purchased Cal29 from Everett to Anacortes. I'm looking for an experienced person to help me get her there. Leaving tomorrow morning Monday June 10th.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

#2 ·
I have to work tomorrow or I'd be up for the ride. You going to go up Saratoga then through La Conner? The channel has been dredged. You'll want at least a 1 foot tide at La Conner when you start in the channel from Skagit Bay. On a high tide, the channel is usually running north, which can give you a nice 1.5 knot current boost.

Reactions: Faster
#4 ·
You'd definitely get more sailing opportunities that way. We've had nice winds for sailing since Thursday. Admiralty Inlet can get pretty rough with an opposing tide and wind. We have another minus tide today, so if you catch the ebb out Admiralty you may be able to catch the flood up Rosario and Guemes Channel. Good luck and maybe we'll see you around the islands this summer.

#5 ·
I think Saratoga is going to be easier for someone who is newer to handling their boat. It'll also be shorter and save you from the 3 knot currents in Admiralty. If you do go outside you want to clear Port Townsend by 2pm.

#6 ·
I am assuming you are thinking of going through Deception Pass? That area has me a little spooked. I have been operating power boats for years and wouldn't have an issue with taking a power boat through there. But I have not had much time in a sailboat and know in current it can be a drift boat at that point. If I had to do it though my gut tells me to pull into coronet bay and wait until the slack starts then go through. I have charts of that area. Sound about right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

#8 ·
That would be the Swinomish Channel.

#10 ·
Boat is still in Everett there was gale warnings this weekend. So I put if off, I couldn't leave early enough yesterday to make the trip it's looking like Friday is my best bet so far.

I did take a pressure washer to the deck and teak and made a big difference in her appearance. Going Down today to finish the cleanup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

#15 · (Edited)
I have zero sailboat experience, I have 25yrs of powerboat experience. So I'm not a complete neophyte when it comes to the water and boats. But I do understand that sailing adds a complexity to it that I'm not used to. I've watched a few beginning sailing DVDs from Netflix to get a basic idea of the order of things. So far the best rule is stay on the windward side of the boat. Problem is that the boat was used for Club Racing and has a bunch of extra Rigging that I get confused trying to figure out, so the DVDs are somewhat helpful. Like my Boat has three Halyards attached to the bow of the Boat. Stuff like that...anyway

We left Everett at 7am Friday Jun 14th and we start out ok... we get south to Mukilteo Ferry and it starts getting a little lumpy, at this point the wife isnt looking so enthusiastic about the trip. 10 minutes later she is getting full-on seasick. Giving the circumstances I decided to call my Parents who are retired and live on Whidbey Island. My Father meets me at Langley and she gets a ride back to his place. I ended up going up the east side of Whidbey and through Swinomish Channel, Motoring the whole way. Fortunately the boat came with an Autohelm and I was able to set a Compass heading and didnt have to Steer the boat the entire trip. Ten minutes out of Langley the winds chilled out and the Sun came out. Changed into some shorts and sandals and enjoyed motoring to "Hole in the Wall" making 6.5 Knots over ground according to GPS.

Now it gets interesting... I hit hole in the wall at a Low Flood with a 0'6" low tide. I think I hit it a little after the low so I might have had a foot more. At the entrance I'm a little off to the East side of the channel markers and I feel the keel kissing the bottom. I've been fortunate to have spent a lot of time on the Skykomish with a few people who know how to read a river and that experience paid off. Hitting the entrance I had the kicker motor wide open and when I hung up on the bottom my river experience come back to me real quick. I quickly moved the boat to the west side of the channel and no more bottom tickling. Now I was paying attention and wound my way through the channel and made it to La Conner without further incidents. La Conner was a really nice looking place I with likely revisit it when I have more time.

Hole in the Wall...

Motoring up Swinomish Channel to La Conner

Once into La Conner the Swinomish Channel was a breeze, if I was to do it again I would do it again I would definitely time the High Tide at Hole in the wall. I motor out into Guemes Channel around Washington Park to Fidalgo Head and into Skyline. It was a gorgeous evening and made a nice end to a dicey start of a day. Thanks to those who suggested this route.

Sunset at Fidalgo Head.

#16 ·
It sounds like a good trip, I'm glad that it went well.

In that section of the Swinomish you really need to watch the range markers. That is also the only place that we've touched bottom, thankfully it was soft mud. It did remove some bottom paint (but we were scheduled to haul out and paint anyway).

I'd recommend finding a sailing instructor who could take you out on their boats for a few lessons, then maybe do a 1:1 lesson with your boat to help you figure out your extra rigging.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.