SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Crew Wanted/Available (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/)
-   -   New Boat owner moving boat to Anacortes (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/100313-new-boat-owner-moving-boat-anacortes.html)

BillA98272 06-09-2013 04:26 PM

New Boat owner moving boat to Anacortes

Moving my recently purchased Cal29 from Everett to Anacortes. I'm looking for an experienced person to help me get her there. Leaving tomorrow morning Monday June 10th.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

erps 06-10-2013 12:44 AM

Re: New Boat owner moving boat to Anacortes

I have to work tomorrow or I'd be up for the ride. You going to go up Saratoga then through La Conner? The channel has been dredged. You'll want at least a 1 foot tide at La Conner when you start in the channel from Skagit Bay. On a high tide, the channel is usually running north, which can give you a nice 1.5 knot current boost.

BillA98272 06-10-2013 10:00 AM

I was thinking outside of whidbey is. Admiralty Inlet... Thought it might be the easiest for so. Someone new to learn to sail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

erps 06-10-2013 10:31 AM

You'd definitely get more sailing opportunities that way. We've had nice winds for sailing since Thursday. Admiralty Inlet can get pretty rough with an opposing tide and wind. We have another minus tide today, so if you catch the ebb out Admiralty you may be able to catch the flood up Rosario and Guemes Channel. Good luck and maybe we'll see you around the islands this summer.

Alex W 06-10-2013 10:44 AM

I think Saratoga is going to be easier for someone who is newer to handling their boat. It'll also be shorter and save you from the 3 knot currents in Admiralty. If you do go outside you want to clear Port Townsend by 2pm.

BillA98272 06-10-2013 12:08 PM

I am assuming you are thinking of going through Deception Pass? That area has me a little spooked. I have been operating power boats for years and wouldn't have an issue with taking a power boat through there. But I have not had much time in a sailboat and know in current it can be a drift boat at that point. If I had to do it though my gut tells me to pull into coronet bay and wait until the slack starts then go through. I have charts of that area. Sound about right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Alex W 06-10-2013 04:22 PM

No, the Saratoga Canal bypasses both Deception Pass and Admiralty Inlet. It is a cut through from La Conner to Anacortes. It'll save you a lot of time.

jackdale 06-11-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex W (Post 1042211)
No, the Saratoga Canal bypasses both Deception Pass and Admiralty Inlet. It is a cut through from La Conner to Anacortes. It'll save you a lot of time.

That would be the Swinomish Channel.

Alex W 06-11-2013 02:31 AM

Ugh, sorry for the confusion. Jack is correct on the name. Saratoga Passage to Swimomish Channel is what I was thinking of.

Bill should be done with his trip now, how did it go?

BillA98272 06-11-2013 10:10 AM

Boat is still in Everett there was gale warnings this weekend. So I put if off, I couldn't leave early enough yesterday to make the trip it's looking like Friday is my best bet so far.

I did take a pressure washer to the deck and teak and made a big difference in her appearance. Going Down today to finish the cleanup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2