SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Crew Wanted/Available (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/)
-   -   Two 100% newbies available for Chicagoland Daysailing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/100885-two-100%25-newbies-available-chicagoland-daysailing.html)

TuurboSpaggetti 06-28-2013 08:42 AM

Two 100% newbies available for Chicagoland Daysailing

Hi everybody!

Just wanted to post that myself and my girlfriend would love to help out on a day-sail in or around Chicago in exchange for being taught some much-needed skills. We can keep ourselves in food and drink, have great attitudes and are willing to learn whatever it takes. I'm a skinny guy, so I can probably climb masts or perform other non-weight bearing activities. Please email me at curtis.blubaugh@gmail.com if you've got any interest in helping out a pair of future sailboat owners/enthusiasts!

rockDAWG 06-28-2013 05:12 PM

Re: Two 100% newbies available for Chicagoland Daysailing

It is easier to look for crewing position as one person compared to two of you. I personally know many captains/owners do not allow couple to come board. They just don't want to take a chance to ruin their perfect day of sailing.

Therefore, if your objective is to learn to sail, be flexible. You will get more offers. :)

OF course, this is YMMV. Good luck

DRFerron 06-28-2013 05:52 PM

I think there's a difference in what a delivery captain is looking for in crew as opposed to a recreational boater. We've had a number of couples on board that we met through SailNet and we didn't want to throw them overboard. They simply wanted to experience a larger body of water than their lake and try handling a larger boat. At least they can entertain each other during down times. That didn't sound right, but you know what I mean.

Too bad you aren't on the Chesapeake. It sounds like you just want to practice your skills.

GeorgeB 06-28-2013 06:02 PM

Ditto here. MrsB and I are happy to show the joys of sailing to newbies. Unfortunately, we are on the west coast. A hint: You will get more rides if you offer to bring sandwiches, snacks and drinks. Remember, the boat owner is the one doing you the favor, be appreciative.

bljones 06-28-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeB (Post 1051444)
A hint: You will get more rides if you offer to bring sandwiches, snacks and drinks. Remember, the boat owner is the one doing you the favor, be appreciative.

George, I think the phrase "keep ourselves in food and drink" implies that they are willing to do that.
or at least bring their own for themselves.