SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Crew Wanted/Available (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/)
-   -   NE Oklahoma - Available to Crew (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/101046-ne-oklahoma-available-crew.html)

Garret01 07-03-2013 03:11 PM

NE Oklahoma - Available to Crew

Hello SailNetters,

I'm brand new here. I just recently completed my ASA 101 Basic Keelboat course at Redbud Marina on Lake Oologah. I would like to get some more time on the water (I don't own a boat) so I am posting. I have a new addition to the family and the wife works Saturdays so it may take some creative scheduling.

If you are willing to work with a greenhorn shoot me a PM. I'm in the Tulsa, Oklahoma area.

Thanks,
Garret01

Garret01 07-03-2013 03:34 PM

Re: NE Oklahoma - Available to Crew

I realize I probably don't have enough posts to receive a PM so please post here until I get my count up. On that note, this just counted as a post! :D

Melrna 07-04-2013 12:10 AM

You can usually sail with Red Bud on race nights to crew. I did it for years when I live in Tulsa. Usually Weds Sat and Sun someone is always looking for crew there.

Garret01 07-05-2013 09:50 AM

Thanks Melrna. Did you just loiter on the docks or did you contact the Marina? I've fired a message off to the Spindrift Sailing Club via Facebook but haven't heard back.

jephotog 07-05-2013 02:44 PM

Often if you just show up on a race night and walk the docks, you can get onboard. Especially if its windy boats need spare bodies to act as moveable ballast.

I am not sure how it works in OK, but a 12 pack of beer in hand is usually enough enticement to make a boat realize they need another crew member that night.

Make sure to bring white soled shoes and sailing gloves.

Melrna 07-05-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garret01 (Post 1054701)
Thanks Melrna. Did you just loiter on the docks or did you contact the Marina? I've fired a message off to the Spindrift Sailing Club via Facebook but haven't heard back.

I both called and showed up at the dock.

Garret01 07-05-2013 03:13 PM

Thank you both.

AndyJ 07-09-2013 10:33 PM

Any interest in sailing at the Lake of the Ozarks? Understand if it's too far to go.

Garret01 07-11-2013 01:06 PM

Hi AndyJ. If I wasn't on Dad duty I might take you up on that. The local lakes are ideal since I can drive out and be home at night.

Thanks for the offer!

Garret01 01-03-2014 11:50 AM

Bump to the top. Still interested in crewing if someone needs a hand in the Tulsa area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk