SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Crew Wanted/Available (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/)
-   -   Day or two trip to Nassau, Bahamas (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/103278-day-two-trip-nassau-bahamas.html)

wardnr2 09-03-2013 06:14 PM

Day or two trip to Nassau, Bahamas

I am currently doing courses and intend to sail a boat back from Florida to Nassau. As I know its quite the undertaking I am looking for anyone who has significant experience and would like to come along at no cost to you to The Bahamas.

Currently the timeframe im looking at is Monday Sep 9 to Thurs 12 to sail back. The point of origin is TBD but will most likely be Fort Lauderdale. Boat will be a 22'6-24' boat. Still deciding on which to buy with a 9.9hp engine.

glymroff 09-03-2013 06:48 PM

Re: Day or two trip to Nassau, Bahamas

That size, I'd say a flicka. Good luck.

TTC 09-03-2013 07:42 PM

What about Jake and RockDawg?

wardnr2 09-03-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glymroff (Post 1083715)
That size, I'd say a flicka. Good luck.

I'm thinking you think its a poor idea then. That's fair, if I dont feel ready Im most likely not going to do it but we'll see.

blowinstink 09-03-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wardnr2 (Post 1083691)
I am currently doing courses and intend to sail a boat back from Florida to Nassau. As I know its quite the undertaking I am looking for anyone who has significant experience and would like to come along at no cost to you to The Bahamas.

Currently the timeframe im looking at is Monday Sep 9 to Thurs 12 to sail back. The point of origin is TBD but will most likely be Fort Lauderdale. Boat will be a 22'6-24' boat. Still deciding on which to buy with a 9.9hp engine.

Wait . . . you don't have the boat yet -- or have it picked out yet . . . and you are leaving less than a week from today? This is AWESOME!

DRFerron 09-03-2013 09:37 PM

You're crossing with an outboard?

RobGallagher 09-03-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wardnr2 (Post 1083770)
I'm thinking you think its a poor idea then. That's fair, if I dont feel ready Im most likely not going to do it but we'll see.

Flicka:

Home of the Flicka 20 Sailboat

But if the conversation has gotten to this point, maybe you should consider taking smaller steps before crossing the gulf stream. I know I would if I were in your shoes.

YMMV

T37SOLARE 09-03-2013 10:25 PM

Crossing the Stream in the height of Hurricane season on a 19' boat on a schedule is a recipe for disaster...

Just saying.

wardnr2 09-03-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blowinstink (Post 1083802)
Wait . . . you don't have the boat yet -- or have it picked out yet . . . and you are leaving less than a week from today? This is AWESOME!

Intend to solely power it by outboard to make the trip across the gulf as quick as possibly...I hope it ends up being awesome. The boat is 22'6 not 20' but yes it is hurricane season which will factor into whether I do it or not.

Oppian 09-04-2013 10:32 AM

It has been a pretty modest Hurricane season so far and you can do your homework on the weather. My only advice would be to start far enough south that you don't have to fight the current. I recently single-handed to Bimini and back on a 36' cat. I went south to Fowey Rock and crossed eastbound motorsailing in 11 hours with south winds of 10 Kt into Bimini Harbor. I returned on 16kt east wind on sails alone on a run all the way with speeds around 7.5 to 8 and as high as 9.3. With the trailing seas on the west bound trip it was a gorgeous sail.
Watch of low seas and a south wind and have a safe trip.