$10 1 1.08%
$15 1 1.08%
$20 1 1.08%
$30 0 0%
$40 or more 21 22.58%
With No tinned fish or meat on the menu 20 21.51%
With No instant noodles or instant soup on the menu 21 22.58%
Do you do the midnight watch when paying crew are on board 0 0%
It is reasonable crew pay for the whole passage in advance and you hold their passports 23 24.73%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree12Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2013

piclarke is on a distinguished road
re: Warning warning advertising for paying crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I took a look at the sign-up page on their site. It's pretty clear what you're getting yourself in for. And you have to sign liability releases, etc. prior to hopping on?

No sympathy.

68-year-old dude signs up to hang with the 20 year old chicks? Yeah, that never works out.
Signing liability releases does not over rule a un statuory covention or state laws, worldwide treaties.

The port officials take no notice and state you delivered here it is your responsiblity to make provision to fly the crew member to his home land and if the skipper refuses they will give 24 hrs for the owner skipper to find another port to enter. - thats on entry. If after entry you give them the news [ the crew that is ] the authorities will state they will not sign / give departure papers for the vessel untill the skipper gives them the air ticket and will state he is also liablle for meals and hotel accommodation, transport costs to the airport. They will not give clearance to leave also untill the hotel, meals drinks, room service, other misc charges, bill is paid also. So the longer he refuses the more it will ultimately cost the skipper. If the skipper does a runner the authorities have a system in place all ports world wide will be given the vessels details passport no of the owner, ships registration details and he will have to pay the bill plus a fine before he can enter any port world wide. Even if he is an american with a american registered vessel.

The authorities will then pay the air fare for the crew member to his homeland knowing they will eventually be paid under the conventions on the law of the sea, and other treaties..

Captains responsiblities

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by piclarke; 10-17-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-17-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Checking your previous posts, the last time you started a thread this off the wall was September 2012. If we allow for one per year, this is it for 2013 and we're good until around this time 2014, right?

Since you can only choose one option, that poll makes zero sense.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 10-17-2013
Bluenoser

jimjazzdad is on a distinguished road

I hope the moderators pull this thread down soon. It does no one any good (except to let the OP vent...). Sorry I wasted my time reading it. I enjoyed the vid that Smack posted tho - I guess all is not lost ;-)
Old 10-17-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Warning warning advertising for paying crew

Rather than remove these two threads, I'm going to just remove the references to the boat that piclarke has an issue with. There are some good discussions going on that might benefit novices. There are also unsubstantiated claims against the boat.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 10-17-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I took a look at the sign-up page on their site. It's pretty clear what you're getting yourself in for. And you have to sign liability releases, etc. prior to hopping on?

No sympathy.

68-year-old dude signs up to hang with the 20 year old chicks? Yeah, that never works out.
I don't know my great grandfather was 70 when he had his first child and his wife was 20, seemed to work out for them, he lived to be 98 and met his grandchildren. It was his second marriage, and the way I figure my family history my second wife has not even been born yet!
Old 10-17-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Too bad about your lack of success with the fillies, Smack. You could tell them that once they've tried elderly ,they'll never go back. (Only works sometimes, but no tickee, no laundry.
Old 10-17-2013

scalvo is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Before this thread disappears, is there any other post or resource where I can find a list of boats that offer the same or similar as Infinity Expeditions. I have been looking and could not find anything.

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2013

ThickAndWide is on a distinguished road

Put back the redacted info - what are you afraid of whoever censored this guy's post?

Oh, thanks to the OP for trying to share.
piclarke likes this.

Last edited by ThickAndWide; 10-17-2013 at 03:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ThickAndWide For This Useful Post:
piclarke (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by piclarke View Post
You are completely wrong which negates all the comments opinions in your post.

Every boat, no matter how big or small, must have a skipper. The skipper is legally responsible for the safety of the boat and all the people on board, and is also responsible for complying with all the relevant rules and regulations, conventions, international treaties.

Please read;;;;

Skipper responsibilities

Plus Conventions on the law of the sea.

Its posters like you bring other boater owners and skippers in to disrepute with your ill informed bluffing postings. Plus giving confidence to others they do not have to check their responsibilities or get educated.

I do not have an ax to grind about paying for crewed positions. Its because skippers do not do their own due diligence and remain ignorant regarding their skippers responsibilities or bluff the inexperienced crew person bringing the credibility and yachting responsible owners and skippers into disrepute in the eyes off the non sailing citizens or first time crew sailors.

I might add I can stay in a pig sty for free which would probably be cleaner than that vessel.
Well I am not wrong, as the bottom line is you are in the end the one responsible for yourself. If you feel your life is not worth making sure on your own that basic safety is in place then OK but then don't complain when others don't either. If it was that bad you should have never left. I can't imagine thinking things would be neat and tidy and gourmet meals at that price. You keep mentioning the price like it is a lot of money. I know here you could not get a bed in a hostel for that price, let alone a comfortable room with 3 squares a day on a sailboat. Yes, you paid some of your expenses, but obviously not all. At the prices he is collecting I doubt you are considered a paying passenger, more like a guest paying a share of the expenses. So I am not sure all your international conventions and treaties really apply.

Yes it is the responsibility of a car to stop at a red light. I still look both ways when approaching an intersection to make sure it is clear. It does not matter who's responsibility it was if you are dead. And if I see a car coming that looks like it not going to stop at a red light, I stop. Better to be alive than right and dead. Same thing on a boat. Even when I am a guest I look to make sure there are life vests, other safety gear and make a mental note of where it is, not because it is my legal obligation, but because I am ultimately responsible for my own safety. It will do me no good out on the water when the boat sinks to say "but it is your legal responsibility to provide me with a life vest as per the Geneva Convention chapter 365 line 3487" as I drown.

And just a gentle hint, if you don't want to come off as a wacko don't use bold and different colors in an internet post. It does not make your point any stronger, just makes you appear to be desperate.

Last edited by miatapaul; 10-17-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-17-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

If you are paying to be crew, that's a contradiction in terms. And it means that whoever you are paying is already engaging in drama, trying to evade the rules for operating a commercial sailing school or charter vessel. If they are going to cheat the tax man and cheat the maritime authorities, you already have proof that they are two-time cheaters and you ought to expect that they will be cheating you too.

Off the books, under the radar, call it what you will they are trying to dodge compliance with the safety regulations and business regulations as a lifestyle and repeatedly, so, why should they treat you any better?
piclarke likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to hellosailor For This Useful Post:
piclarke (10-17-2013)
Closed Thread