$10 1 1.08%
$15 1 1.08%
$20 1 1.08%
$30 0 0%
$40 or more 21 22.58%
With No tinned fish or meat on the menu 20 21.51%
With No instant noodles or instant soup on the menu 21 22.58%
Do you do the midnight watch when paying crew are on board 0 0%
It is reasonable crew pay for the whole passage in advance and you hold their passports 23 24.73%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree12Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2013

piclarke is on a distinguished road
Warning warning advertising for paying crew

WARNING WARNING WARNING

Hello!

I would like to warn everybody who wants to take part in

Please read Go to ...

Edit: Deleted of links that Violate the forum rule against "Axes to grind": Jeff_H SailNet Moderator

Just came back after sailing with them for two months around Philippines, Palau and FSM. We did visit some incredible places, but if your health, time and money are important to you, then please think twice before joining them. Safety and sanitary conditions aboard were bad, diving wasn't organised properly, atmosphere was tedious, captain owes thousands of dollars to paying crew members, etc...

Please read the following articles, if you are considering to join the ................ The first one is the article wrtten, while he was still aboard and the second one is a proper review written by another ex crew member.

Please read

Edit: Deleted of links that Violate the forum rule against "Axes to grind": Jeff_H SailNet Moderator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jeff_H; 01-15-2014 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Edit: Deleted of links that Violate the forum rule against "Axes to grind"
Old 10-16-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
re: Warning warning advertising for paying crew

It was that bad and you still stayed with them for two months?

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 10-16-2013

scalvo is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Thanks for the info piclarke.

Do you know where to get information on similar boats? I have been looking for boats to join as crew without much luck. Maybe one of these boats would work for me.

Thanks,
Sam
Old 10-16-2013
A mod and her dragon

Sam,

After he claims the crew went unpaid and he had a miserable time and conditions were horrible you...want...to work for them?

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 10-16-2013

Ha. Im asking for "information on similar boats", meaning same concept BUT on a drama-free (and safe) boat.
Old 10-16-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Looks like it really sucks:

[URL removed in keeping with the rest of the thread]
piclarke and capta like this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by DRFerron; 10-17-2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Removed link to previously mentioned boat
The Following User Says Thank You to smackdaddy For This Useful Post:
piclarke (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013
A mod and her dragon

The crab didn't look too happy.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

The Following User Says Thank You to DRFerron For This Useful Post:
piclarke (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013

skelmir is on a distinguished road

Sounds like that person needs to buy their own boat and go cruising. Apparently they think that paying 39 euros a day is expensive and at that price they should be able to lounge around in a hammock all day and not lift a finger. I don't know anything about this Expedition company but that "objective" review came across as anything but.

My advice would be to manage your expectations. If you chartered a boat with a captain and a hired crew you have every right to demand everything to be shipshape and that your champagne isn't too warm. If you pay to crew on a boat things are going to be different. One cost a lot more than the other.
Old 10-16-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalvo View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the info piclarke.

Do you know where to get information on similar boats? I have been looking for boats to join as crew without much luck. Maybe one of these boats would work for me.

Thanks,
Sam
I have travelled with the below company and highly recommend them. They will charge more than 39 Euro a day.

Home
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

Old 10-16-2013

After reading the whole review Piclarke I have to say that in deed it looks like you had very different expectations.

Reading things like:
- "I am never a victim of these laborious activities and I’m diligently boycotting such exploitation (lying on the foredeck with a good book in my hands)"
- "I do not owe anything to Infinity, and do not have to do anything if I don’t feel like it."

It just makes it clear that you were looking for a holiday cruise and nothing to do with being involved on the boat, participate and learn. I also read Infinity Expeditions website and (whether u like it or not) it says very clearly that you are expected to works and be involved in maintaining the boat. The fact that you pay 30euros/day (or whatever it is) doesn't automatically make you a guest that only works when you feel like it. You agreed to certain conditions when you joined, especially one "the captain has the last word".

I think you are right writing a review saying what you thought but encouraging people not to join just because you had different expectations, seems a bit unfair in my opinion.
Closed Thread