Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2013

SciGuy2015 is on a distinguished road
BVI July 2014

Good Day, We have chartered a Beneteau 31 Oceanis out of Tortola for 11 days, July 11 to July 22, and now seek an instructional captain for at least the first week of that time period. If you are an experienced instructor and can serve as a great guide for the BVI, please contact us! Your "significant other" would be welcome on the trip, if that helps in the decision. Sailors, feel free to forward this message to others who may be interested.

Thanks,
Maureen & Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Re: BVI July 2014

Welcome to Sailnet. You might contact your charter company if you haven't already and see if they can't help you. I do instructional work based out of St Thomas. If you've not been to Traveltalkonline dot com, the BVI section, you might look over there as well. A recent thread was up regarding this very subject.

I see your posts on Traveltalk, no wonder they seemed familiar, it was you! In some earlier posts you mentioned that you wanted an ASA instructor. Then above it would appear you have changed your request to an "instructional capt" for at least the first week. You also mentioned that you had no sailing experience but had whitewater kayaked. What specifically are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to get ASA certifications? Are you trying to learn to sail? Are you looking for somebody to run you around the BVI and play tour guide? What are you willing to pay or do you expect that offering a cabin on a 31' sailboat is adequate compensation? I ask because these are the questions that most people that may be able to help you would be asking.

Off topic but in case you are not aware, July is technically hurricane season here. You might also wish to consider travel insurance for your trip.

Last edited by FarCry; 10-27-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-28-2013

To "DrivinSteve"....Site says I can't PM until have 15 posts credited to me. ???

Hi Steve! Um, I think you're qualified. LOL! Great to hear from you. The charter is July 11 to July 22, but Maureen & I hope to have the boat to ourselves the last 4 days. We plan on doing a 2/3 day basic keelboat class prior to the trip. Figure that after another 7 days, we'll be able to go it alone. Plan is to get good enough to bareboat charter with my bros the next summer.

Everything is negotiable. All expenses would be covered, and as indicated, you'd be welcome to bring a companion. We are AP Biology and Chemistry teachers in Northern NY State -- east shore of Lake Ontario in the snow belt.

Best regards,

Mike........SciGuy2015 at hotmail dot com
Old 10-28-2013

Hello FarCry, The reference to WW 'yaking is facetious. LOL! Has nothing to do with sailing technicals -- that was the joke. However, I did point-out that WW requires the ability to make fast but correct decisions. That was in response to someone saying a "deer in headlights" look is not good for a prospective sailor. Dude doesn't know me, so I stated, "deer in headlights" + WW = really bad time. Gotta be a cool customer for sure.

Anyway, just starting to network on this. Yup, we (wifey-Maureen & moi) wanna learn to sail while visiting a new area. Prob get in some snorkeling and hiking along the way. Staying on St. John afterwards and will hit-up one of the dive shops -- we are Advanced OW certified.

Instructor captain need not be ASA if s/he is a good teacher and knows the business. Familiarity with BVI is definite plus -- we want to find all the good spots. We love adventure and like active vacations. Enjoy having a good time, drinks, live music, but aren't party animals. Want a nice set-up for the July 12 Full Moon. Yeah, I'm a researcher and planner extreme.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-29-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

It looks like you're getting more action at TTOL. CaptJay gave you excellent advice over there. I'm a little surprised that a charter company agreed to charter you a boat without any experience and one of their captains involved. Which company did you charter with? I apologize if you've already mentioned it someplace. I do understand that you are intending to take some formal classes before next July.

Enjoy your trip.