SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sailors in the DC area

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  mpickering 
#1 ·
I am a recent (poor) college grad looking to explore sailing. I have some basic experience though I would like to learn more through additional daysailing or racing. If you would be willing to take on an apprentice, I can offer you good conversation and free labor(cleaning/maintance). Thanks, Todd

bennta01@yahoo.com

#3 ·
I am a recent (poor) college grad looking to explore sailing. I have some basic experience though I would like to learn more through additional daysailing or racing. If you would be willing to take on an apprentice, I can offer you good conversation and free labor(cleaning/maintance). Thanks, Todd
Todd,

If you're in the Metro DC area proper (southern Maryland, northern VA or DC itself), look into one-design racing fleets that sail out of the Washington Sailing Marina. They do weeknight racing and you can usually join and crew relatively easily. If you're anywhere near Reagan airport it is something to look into. I know Lightning Fleet 50 is based out of there. There is a Flying Scot fleet as well. Both are multi-hand boats (3 and 2 respectively) and skippers are usually looking for crew. Great way to get sailing experience.

I'm working to become a member of the Severn Sailing Association in Annapolis. They do Tuesday night casual racing and so far all I can say is: give me more! Lots of boats, lots of options. I'm crewing on Snipe 2-man dinghies and looking to get into Lasers as a complement. Long-term, I want to get a Star keelboat.

For casual sailing, find a group for the area you wish to sail. My first several years sailing was done on other people's boats. I'll be happy to take you out on my C-27 in the Fall if you just want to get some Chesapeake Bay sailing under your belt.

Lots of ways to get involved.

Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.