Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2014

capttb is on a distinguished road
Re: Skipper wanted Seattle to Portland

Cheaper moorage near by while you prep the boat and wait for weather seems like the best option to me also. Since the engine appears inoperable some sort of "tow" might even be prudent.
I would not advocate sailing an unfamiliar boat that may have issues down the Oregon coast in winter.
Actually, not a good idea any time of year.
Faster likes this.

Last edited by capttb; 02-11-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2014
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about

Nope, certainly not a trip for an unknown boat with issues. Not a trip for this time of year at all unless ya have a death wish...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-11-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb View Post
Cheaper moorage near by while you prep the boat and wait for weather seems like the best option to me also. Since the engine appears inoperable some sort of "tow" might even be prudent.
I would not advocate sailing an unfamiliar boat that may have issues down the Oregon coast in winter.
Actually, not a good idea any time of year.
That's the main reason I'm recommending getting it up to snuff and waiting for a couple months while he learns his vessel. The columbia bar can be a monster this time of year its likely a minor issue with the Volvo that is in his boat that's not allowing it to start easily. They are usually quite reliable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-12-2014

Uricanejack is on a distinguished road

Congratulations on your new boat. I bought mine in Portland about this time last year. And brought it up to Point Roberts in June. May or June you are more likely to have fair winds.
Like said it’s a bit early though the past couple of weeks weather would have been ideal. You certainly cant bet on it at this time of year.
As an experienced 3rd officer in the merchant marine you have the required knowledge to get your boat safely to Portland by sea.
You just lack a bit of knowledge on sailing and the boat.
I would suggest your first step is to find a berth for your boat in Puget sound on a monthly basis. Daily rate is far to expensive.
Mooring is almost twice the price in the PNW as it is on the Columbia River. I was paying about 220 a month in Portland and about 400 in Point Roberts for a forty foot dock. A 30 ft dock about 300

Once you have a monthly dock.
Take the boat out a few times to get the feel of it. Also it will give you an opportunity to get a few important jobs done to get the boat ready for the trip.
If you had a survey done prior to purchase. It should give you a good idea what is needed.
Personally I found this harder than anticipated. Just the sheer time and distance involved in getting to the boat.
A sailing course is well worth the time and expense. You will learn interesting nautical terms like bow.
More importantly you will get the low down on what those funny white rags are for and how they work.

Having done so you will be ready to take her down as skipper your self.

You will enjoy the trip.
Old 02-18-2014

Haberdasher is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input guys, this site is a treasure trove!

I decided to have it moved by truck. Simply can't deal with the 3 hour(or 5 in traffic) drive to work on the boat anymore! Sailing it this time of year sounds like a suicide mission.

I've actually sailed from Seattle and down the coast several times on a container ship. I'm familiar with the much of the area but from a completely different perspective.

I Took ASA 101 and found it useful for things like learning the points of sail. I'm familiar with interesting nautical terms like bow and stern. I was planning on taking 103/104 but I'm not sure I would benefit from much of the curriculum. It will be different on a 27' sailboat but Navigation, weather, rules of the road, radio ops... these are all things I do for a living and I have spent years studying them.
Old 02-18-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haberdasher View Post
Thanks for the input guys, this site is a treasure trove!

I decided to have it moved by truck. .........
I think that's a good decision, to maximize your time available to work on and enjoy the boat before summer. Could easily prove to be the 'easiest' on the boat, crew, and equipment too, while absolutely avoiding any risk of calamity along the way.
Bradhamlet likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)