Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By kd3pc
  • 1 Post By zz4gta
  • 1 Post By captcore

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2014

maxsvredux is on a distinguished road
Arrow Annapolis to Norfolk...and maybe down the ICW

I'm looking for someone to help get my dream started. In particular, someone to help me sail down the Chesapeake to Norfolk, possibly teaching me along the way. I'm willing to pay for this help. Once I am at the ICW, I can take my time going down the ICW in protected waters.

A little background...I'm one of those dreamer guys who always wanted to bum around the Bahamas/Caribbean on a sailboat. It's actually going to happen! A divorce is in the works and I'm ready to go! I've been outfitting my old 30' Hunter and am ready. Autopilot, solar panels, chartplotter, iPad Nav software, dinghy with davits, 12v fridge, small watermaker...etc. I've spent the last 6 months preparing the boat. I've been unable to make time to get experience sailing though. I knew I would be going down the ICW, so I figured I'd get opportunities here and there to learn, meet people along the way who would want to go out and give me some pointers and such. Worst case, I just rely on the diesel and use it as a motorboat.

Here's the catch...I'm ready to go now (as in right when this snow storm is ready to hit the DC area) and it's f'ing cold. I don't really want to stop along the way as it would be a cold nights sleep. I didn't equip this boat for being at anchor in 30 degree temps. If I had 1 or 2 persons with me, we could easily go straight through. The smarter thing to do would be to wait until the weather improves on Friday.

I'm also still looking for someone who might want to join me in my whole journey south. It's a small boat, no fancy living conditions, but plenty of remote anchorages and warm weather.

Anyone interested?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2014

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Re: Annapolis to Norfolk...and maybe down the ICW

stop and think for a few.

As good as it feels, it can and often does get worse. Even on a spring/summer day when you let the moment drive your departure.

30-45 degrees, whether at anchor, motoring or sitting at the dock, can turn deadly, quickly. Stopping or not stopping does nothing to the temp. Things freeze up on the boat. Things that may need to work, for your safety. You may fall in the water, and that can be deadly - even if you get out in a hurry, but have no heat source or adequate gear to warm up.

Warm clothes are a necessity, and having three people does not guarantee anything. I have often had a full crew (especially noobies) sea sick at the same time and unable to do most anything. That leaves me to pilot, captain and etc, by myself. And I have over 40 years on the water.

Delay your departure until you can get adequate gear or warmer than 50 degree weeks....

As they say on shark tank, I'm out.
jameswilson29 and jimgo like this.
Old 02-10-2014
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

MAX, send me an email to
harneyyachtrigging at gmail dot com. We can discus this in more detail. Please include weather transportation and/or food will be covered. I'm a Chesapeake bay local and have been to Hampton many times. I can send you a resume and references over email.

Thanks.
captcore likes this.
Old 02-10-2014

maxsvredux is on a distinguished road

The weather for Fri/Sat/Sun looks much better. I think I will wail until then.

zz4gta...I sent you an email.
Old 02-10-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Have you looked at the weather forecast not only from your departure point, but also along your route? That is, you're leaving from the DC area on Monday (for example), but what's the weather forecast for Norfolk on Wednesday/Thursday? What is the forecast for parts of NC? What's the (air and water) draft of your Hunter? Do you need to worry about bridges or tides on the ICW? How might that impact your ability to leave?

We moved our boat over a comparatively short distance (Rock Hall, MD to Barnegat Bay, NJ). It's amazing how little things like setting up a chart plotter (just needed power) can really set you back. Make sure you have some "play" in the forecast so delays won't totally mess everything up and put you and your crew at risk.

I'm not saying not to go, but please be careful. The cold water will kill you very quickly. If you CAN wait until it gets warmer, I'd lean heavily in that direction if I were in your shoes.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-25-2014

captcore is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to captcore

If you are still in need of crew, send me an email to captcore (at) gmail (dot) com. I am a 50 ton master and have been teaching sailing for 14 years. I am also a Chesapeake Bay local (living in Baltimore, but sailing out of Annapolis) and have done the trip to Norfolk at least a dozen times.

I look forward to hearing from you.
RoryP23 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for all your captain needs.