Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2005

seagoon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to seagoon
Sail-Dive PNG and Solomon Islands

1st May 2006 and we are leaving again for PNG and Solomon Islands, staying away for 6 month. Join us in Solomon Islands and PNG for 4 weeks or longer (room for 1 crew form 15-6 to 17-7). Like to do some great diving, WWll war wrecks and fantastik walls and big fish. Or just hang out at small villages, fish, snorkel. see us at www.geocities.com/svseagoon or just google svseagoon

Last edited by seagoon; 04-11-2006 at 01:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2009

motorboater is on a distinguished road
Sollies sailing

Any recent trips to the Solomon Islands?
Old 11-09-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I was there for a couple of years. Did a lot of diving around Guadalcanal and Gizo - but no sailing.

He's right about the big walls and big fish. Great place. Lousy food though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 11-09-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I was there for a couple of years. Did a lot of diving around Guadalcanal and Gizo - but no sailing.

Did you see any of the big Crocs?

About ten years ago, a woman and her husband pulled in to one of the more remote islands (not sure which) aboard their cruising sailboat at the end of an ocean passage. After getting the anchor down, the husband dove in with mask and snorkel to make sure it was properly set. A croc took him right before her eyes.

Tragic. The sort of stuff nightmares are made of.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 11-09-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Thankfully no. But I did hear a lot of stories.

Early on, in ignorance, we swam in some of the shorefront rivers that's were perfect chewing grounds for them. Luckily, we were with Solomon Islanders most of the time - and they looked out for us. You just had to understand that a gentle question from them was actually a "Are you freaking crazy!".

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 11-09-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

I'd love to sail there. Thoroughly enjoyed the place when I was there years ago but didn't get to do any sailing either. SIs are still considered to be off the beaten track so a good place to go if you want to avoid the madding crowds. (I think we've had this conversation before, Smack. Either that or I'm suffering from Deja Vu..again...)

Recent unrest seems to have quietened down but even that was pretty much limited to around Honiara which when I was there was one boring town. You won't miss much by avoiding it. Whether or not it's improved over time I do not know.

As for the food, Smack is right on the money. Good fresh fish of course, sweet potato and paw paw.....not much else. Lime Juice and beer about all there was to drink.

Problem with the SIs is getting there. Uphill all the way from Australia though I'm told that if you head up the east coast of Oz to Thursday Island then across to the Louisiades and on to the Solomons its quite a nice trip. Back to Oz via New Caledonia.

Solomons is also supposedly a good place to sit out the cyclone season, particularly if you are thinking of heading further north, but it would be a very hot and sticky interlude.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.