Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2014

ldav048 is on a distinguished road
Cuba to US - crew wanted

Hi,
Iím Simon, a Kiwi, sailing along Cubaís south coast, and looking for crew (1 or 2) to help me sail my yacht, and share the costs. For the past 3 months it has cost me approximately $9USD/day. The loose plan is to sail west along the south coast, up to Havana, and then on to the USA. From there Iím planning on sailing north along the Intra Coastal Waterway (ICW) to New England.
Cuba has the best snorkelling, fishing and cruising of all of the Caribbean. The boat is a very comfortable and safe 30ft sail boat, with 4 berths (beds). This would suit someone who has been, and enjoys camping. No boating experience is necessary. Iím very flexible with the dates, however itís necessary to have someone available for the passage from Cuba to the USA. Cuba is a very interesting and exhilarating place to cruise, offering untouched oceans, and an unrivalled cultural experience.
My boat is a Nonsuch 30 catboat. Sheís incredibly easy to sail, very beamy and spacious inside. The big kitchen turns out great food Ė fresh sashimi, lobster Thai curry, tuna and conch marinara...
There is no fridge as all food is caught/bought fresh. There is also no shower, but Iíve found a daily swim followed with a fresh water rinse suffices. Onboard toilet. Running costs are low as most travel is by means of sail. Food is incredibly cheap in Cuba - $2USD/day.
A typical day would consist of a great sleep at a beautiful and quiet anchorage, waking to fresh coffee, tea and fruit for breakfast. A morning swim amongst the fish. Then either a sail along the coast, or a trip ashore exploring remote unsettled Cayoís (islands), or tripping ashore mainland Cuba Ė wandering the cities, interacting with the locals, exploring markets, eating, drinking, dancing. Often in the afternoons weíll fish and dive to catch dinner Ė fish, lobster, conch... After cooking up the days catch, the evening is spent watching the sunset with a beer, wine or rums.

Email me with any questions

A little about me Ė Iíve spent a lot of time at sea, with commercial skippers qualifications, and this is my second trip through the Caribbean. Iím a carpenter by trade but cruising is my passion. Iím very relaxed and easy going, but also very cautious on the water.

Cheers,
Simon Cleaver

Hi, Iím Luke. Iíve spent the last 3 months cruising the Caribbean on ĎCatí with Simon. Iíve done a lot of cruising before and have to say this is by far the best. The mix of the cultural experience in Cuba, and the cruising, fishing and snorkelling, has been incredible. Days spent, relaxing on the boat, diving for lobster and conch, eating incredible fresh meals, mingling with the locals. It was surprising, coming from New Zealand, how safe I felt throughout Cuba. Iíve loved the warmth, sincerity, and passion with how the Cubans go about their lives. Iíve loved the varied days on this trip - sipping mojitos, learning salsa and Spanish from the locals, and low key days of reading books with beer in hand. It was very difficult leaving, however reality calls.
Attached Thumbnails
Cuba to US - crew wanted-img_0015.jpg   Cuba to US - crew wanted-20131231_170119.jpg   Cuba to US - crew wanted-20140101_140056.jpg   Cuba to US - crew wanted-20140103_100242.jpg   Cuba to US - crew wanted-img_1719.jpg  

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Re: Cuba to US - crew wanted

May you sail from Cuba to the U.S.? I thought there were restrictions.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 02-17-2014

ldav048 is on a distinguished road

No it's fine to sail from the US to Cuba. We've met plenty of people (inc Americans who have done this).
Old 02-17-2014

sony2000 is on a distinguished road

There is a tall ship working the south coast from the 16th for four weeks. Basing itself out of Cienfuegos.
Old 02-17-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

I'll bet there are plenty of Cubans who would be happy to sign on as crew. Have you thought of looking there?

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-17-2014
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

There are no restrictions for non-US citizens traveling between Cuba and the US beyond the normal Visa requirements.
There ARE restrictions for US citizens wishing to travel between Cuba & the US. Cuban refugees (eg., folks with family there) are allowed to visit "X" times per year; all others are not allowed except by special State dept. clearance (in other words: forget about it).
You could fly to Mexico and then to Cuba and sail back to the US. I would expect a warm reception from immigration though once they figure out that the captain of the boat you are on last cleared out of Cuba.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.