Seeking life wisdom, and an opportunity to crew on a passage - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2014

Biologist is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking life wisdom, and an opportunity to crew on a passage

Hey guys, I really like where this thread is going. I enjoy a good discussion on these topics, and it is really starting to help me get a handle on some basic preparations.

findrichard: thanks for the book title. I will do some perusing online.

svzephyr: I really appreciate your input. I completely agree with you about contributions. I was also raised to show appreciation. I always bring beer/wine in the aforementioned situations. You bring up a great point about jumping on boats going along the east coast. Being in Clemson allows me to make quick trips to the coast for this situation, so that makes sense to me. It will also "get my foot in the door" so to speak. I suppose my original plan to just "hop on a boat" crossing the pond is quite impractical and probably ill-advised as you say. I have been in contact with a captain looking for crew from BVI to Turks and Caicos on his Lagoon 50+ft cat. this December. The sail is only about 5 days, but I think it will really give me some good fundamental experience. It will also be a downwind leg, so I'll get a chance to work with the spinnaker, etc. He said he will cover all food and drinks during the sail, I just need to cover travel expenses to/from the location. I may start another thread concerning that opportunity, but it is still a long ways off.

Argyle: thanks a ton! You make a great point about going up to the Beaufort/Morehead City area. I did my MS research in New Bern, and would take day trips to that area, it's beautiful. I could definitely see myself working/living there at least temporarily. I am going to keep attempting to find crew opportunities (right now searching for the summer time, because I may begin school in the fall). I never considered spring/fall migration, which also seems like a great way to build my experience. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2014

gamayun is on a distinguished road

It sounds like you're doing and have done all the right things, and are seeking sound advice. Go while you're young and unencumbered, then decide what you want to do with your career. As one biologist to another, not all jobs involve pushing paper around every day. You'll find your niche. Fair winds and following seas to you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

s/v Kynntana
Freedom 38
Old 03-24-2014
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Well - New Bern. Strange how these things work out. I am currently in New Bern - hope to leave this coming Wednesday and head south. First hop - sail/motor to Morehead - then decided in/out depending on weather. I would prefer out but there have been a lot of late night gales off the coast, so most likely ICW till I get further south. My contact information is on my web site. If you want to tag along for a couple of days give me a phone call.
flyingwelshman and Biologist like this.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:

Blog:
Old 03-24-2014

Hey svzephyr,

It's great that you are currently in New Bern. Thank you for the invite to hop aboard for a couple days. Right now, I am about to defend my thesis here in Clemson (defend on the 15th of April). So timing is difficult for the next couple weeks. Where do you suspect you will be in May? I graduate on May 9th, but will be free afterward if you are looking for crew! I look forward to chatting with you more about this.
Old 03-24-2014
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

This gets stranger still. Actually I have to be at Fort Bragg on May 7th. Not sure where the boat will be. Stay in touch
Biologist likes this.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:

Blog:
Old 03-24-2014

Very cool how things can line up sometimes, I will definitely touch base with you as time approaches. I will also have a better idea of what my availability will be. Cheers and best of luck with your initial legs along the coast, whether they be ICW or further out. I will be following your progress
Old 03-24-2014

Gamayun,

Thank you for the note, I agree that this is probably the best time to go do something, while still unencumbered. What specifically do you do with biology? My focus is more wildlife conservation and management.
Cheers
Old 03-26-2014

gamayun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biologist View Post
Gamayun,

Thank you for the note, I agree that this is probably the best time to go do something, while still unencumbered. What specifically do you do with biology? My focus is more wildlife conservation and management.
Cheers
Probably not very helpful to you right now, but my work is mostly marine environmental policy and regulation. I became an independent consultant about 7 years ago. It's the kind of job that keeps me at a "desk," but as long as I have a laptop and internet connection, then I can bring that desk wherever I go. My office hours are whenever I feel like working. This has been great for me though it isn't something that I could have done early in my career (I graduated about 25 years ago) and it wasn't anything that I foresaw until the opportunity presented itself.

Good luck with your thesis and sailing adventures! Keep us posted on what you decide to do and where you go.

s/v Kynntana
Freedom 38
Old 03-26-2014

opc11 is on a distinguished road

Roger,

Thanks for the links. Read it all. I like that you spell it all out. You might be getting an application in the coming months. :-)
Biologist likes this.
Old 03-26-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Biologist...

Congrats on obtaining your MS in Biology and I imagine you're burnt out and would like to take a break... sailing would be an appropriate break indeed... it will clear your mind and make you focus on your next goals.

My son just graduated with a BS in Microbiology (Biology) and is pursuing the same track you're on (MS, PHD, etc.) but is focused and has the means to continue forth. We have a boat already so there is no need for him to dream about sailing.

I hope you find the means and vessel to sail in... crewing on a vessel is the best thing you can do as it leaves you the benefit of not having the expense of buying a boat, maintenance, insurance, etc. Also if you're doing distant education you may find more time to focus on learning rather than the time involved in taking care of a boat.

Good luck on your career.

Last edited by guitarguy56; 03-26-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Tags
life questions

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.