Seeking life wisdom, and an opportunity to crew on a passage - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Seeking life wisdom, and an opportunity to crew on a passage

I'd look for a job as a field biologist of some kind. Either doing field work, or working on a tour/cruise boat of some kind. Get paid to be out there using your skills, pick up the time out of the office as a bonus. Probably won't be paid much, but at least it is income instead of just expenses.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Had a friend I meet in my engineering career that was educated as a marine biologist and while he enjoyed it while he was single as soon as he married could not afford the lifestyle so he went back to school and got his engineering degree... worked with him for several years until he got burnt out doing engineering and his passion was the sea and reefs... I left the company to start my own while he stayed... we kept in touch and sure enough heard he left to go back into marine reef biology sector... and now is a professor at U. Miami and does marine research and I even saw him on TV during one of the documentaries on reef ecology... now he makes a decent living!
Old 03-31-2014

billyruffn will become famous soon enough

Join the Navy or the USCG. Lots of life wisdom to be found there. Caveat: self-absorption not allowed.
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 03-31-2014

Dave_E is on a distinguished road

In my experience, "wisdom" is not something you can get off the pages of this or any other forum. Advice, yes. Encouragement, yes. Subject knowledge, yes. After you get to an age of.... oh say 50 or so, and have sailed for many years, then you might have some "sailing" wisdom. Grasshopper.

Dave
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Old 03-31-2014
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biologist View Post
I have realized that I have four basic options after I graduate: 1) go home and live on my parents' couch, 2) find a job, make money, work 9am-5pm every day, 3) apply for PhD programs and spend another 4-5 years in school, or 4) seek out adventure (at least for the short term) and crew for a passage or similar opportunity. What do you suggest?
Chris
If you were my son, I would say that the third choice is the most promising. My family is product of the higher education. Without it, I believe I would be working at Kmart as a stock boy. I know, there are plenty of others partied and drunk for 4 years and didn't learn a thing. But I assume that you are NOT one of those.

Enroll into a Ph.D. program with the best professor in the field. Make sure he or she has plenty NIH grants. Don't think it is as an indentured servant, think of it that you get a free ride. I had the best time in the Grad school, I wish it was never ended.

Find a discipline that you don't need another 5 years post-doc to get a low pay academic position. Learning is much easy when you are young and naive. Set your priority, work hard and go after your dream. Being poor and unable to buy the big boy toys and live paycheck by pay check suck.

Ocean will still be there when you are ready. Good luck.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Tags
life questions