Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2014
Future sailor

salukikev is on a distinguished road
Inexperienced crew looking for opportunities

Hi,
Today's (see my post in "introductions") my first "official" forum day, though I've lurked a bit previously. Very excited to finally be a part of the community!
I'm posting here in the hopes of getting my wife more familiar with the plan I've been pitching, even if only to see the boats in the harbor and imagine ourselves living that lifestyle.
She doesn't really have any sailing experience (yet). I have some, but only on smaller boats sailing on Lake Michigan. I want to get a 40'+ boat to live on in the next year or two, so I want to get started on the learning process for both of us. Ultimately I'm wanting to get to the point where I'm doing Atlantic crossings & beyond but that will be a few years off.

For starters, I'd love to find an opportunity to get familiar somewhere along the NC/SC/VA coast. Any suggestions as to places we should be hanging out to socialize with boaters living that life? We're always up for a trip to the coast!
Thanks for any suggestions!
-Kevin & Amanda
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2014
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Re: Inexperienced crew looking for opportunities

Start by reading this thread... It will save us all a lot of work...

Seeking life wisdom, and an opportunity to crew on a passage

This is not meant to be rude... It is just to get you going quickly.

Fair winds and following seas

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-25-2014
Future sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by svzephyr44 View Post
Start by reading this thread... It will save us all a lot of work...
Thread read! Check!
Your list was helpful, thanks! I'm more worried about my wife's opportunities/experience. At the moment I just want her to get acquainted with what I'm proposing. I thought your 3 point list re: hospitality was common sense also- I think we share that philosophy.

It's tricky though, because I'm always reading up on the scene and formulating my plan, whereas she is just becoming familiar and I don't think she knows what to expect. BUT she is open minded and free spirited, so I feel like I'm still being realistic in the grand scheme of things. Fantastic, but realistic too. Nothing I've read so far has dissuaded me from my grand plan- though reading and experiencing are two different things- so far I'm still feeling pretty confident. Just going to take a few years to make it happen.
Old 03-25-2014
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Next thread:

Circumnavigation with partner

Enjoy

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:

Blog:
The Following User Says Thank You to svzephyr44 For This Useful Post:
salukikev (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014
Future sailor

whoa whoa whoa! circumnavigation!? Well.. ok, I guess we'll do that too.
haha... but seriously, that was a good thread read too. I'm going to forward her the link, but I also don't want to scare her into thinking we're going all out globe trotting. Going to stay in the kiddie pool along the East coast till we get seasoned, but I like where your heads at!
Thanks!
Old 03-26-2014

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road

Over the last 10 years we have take over 200 people sailing, 12 were Sea Scouts and we have taken crew on multiple off-shore trips. One lady has sailed in 7 countries and two male crew have sailed over 4,000 nm including Puerto Rico to Bermuda to Canada and Miami to St Thomas, one of them transited the Panama Canal with us recently. Another is about to do a Pacific crossing with us.

The biggest problem with crew is that they fail to realize that there is a lot of boat work/yard work to go with the sailing part. One 27-yr-old crew quit when we went into the yard to make rigging repairs before an off-shore trip and he was asked to do as much work per day as my 60-yr-old wife.

Another quit after a hard 7 day off-shore passage and he discovered he was nowhere as tough as my wife.

The lady who sailed in 7 countries, US, Bahamas, England, France, Trinidad, Grenada and Virgin Isles earned those trips by turning up spontaneously one day to help when she discovered I had 8 hours of engine work to do. She and her husband know that they can join the boat anywhere in the world and sail for a few weeks as welcome guests.

My best advice is to take US Sailing courses at a local club. My own club Coconut Grove Sailing Club in Miami provides lessons up to Bare Boat Cruising and rents boats to successful candidates from sunfish to a Beneteau 30 at 50% of commercial rates . Once the club members realize that you are a contributor then crewing opportunities abound. ASA courses are technically equivalent but taking lessons at a US Sailing affiliated club potentially carries the benefit of crewing for club members. CGSC has a yearly trip to the Bahamas on which new members can crew.

Sailing is lots of fun but it is not a game and you should learn properly. We know far more scared wives than competent men.

Good luck Phil & Nell

Last edited by Yorksailor; 03-26-2014 at 02:21 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yorksailor For This Useful Post:
salukikev (03-26-2014)
Old 03-26-2014
Future sailor

Thanks for the advice! It was work when Dad & I sailed lake Michigan, and I'd expect its more work sailing the Atlantic- no surprises there! I'm not the least bit afraid of hard work. A bigger problem I have is getting restless when I don't have a task. The closest I can relate to the long/international journeys is my motorcycling/travel adventures. I've gotten myself into and back out of a lot of jams (eg. knocked unconscious in Rome, destroyed motorcyle in NZ, lost in Brazil) due to nothing more than rolling with the punches and some improvisation/elbow grease.
I may join a local sailing club, but being as how Charlotte's not a coastal city, I feel like the lake/small boat experience isn't as relevant to my goals- and anyway I've already done that on a much bigger lake (Michigan). I want to put myself in the best position to learn, and learn quickly and on a boat that's similar to my plan to buy. Also curious to see what my wife's reaction the experience will be. She's a hard worker too, but with different priorities and a different skill set. Whether she's going to be comfortable and/or commit to a sailing life is TBD. A local sailing club would be a great way to get started in that regard!
Old 06-20-2014

StLKid is on a distinguished road

If you are still checking this thread, I am a new owner of a Dufour 36 Classic who is looking for crew for casual day sailing out of Southport, NC, experience is preferred, but passion is required. With the right crew, I might consider longer cruises or even racing next season (2015). Let me know.
Old 06-20-2014
Future sailor

Thumbs up Re: Inexperienced crew looking for opportunities

Hey!
Yeah, I'm totally in! We were actually looking at buying a place out in Wilmington as a 1st step to moving our lives onto a boat, so I'm definitely up for helping crew. Let me know what you have in mind, and I'll find a way to get out there!
Thanks!
-k
Old 06-20-2014

StLKid is on a distinguished road

I am currently just doing casual day sails on the Cape Fear River and along Oak Island, but was on a winning club racing crew a couple of years ago near Annapolis, and have been through ASA keelboat and dinghy training before that. Do you have any experience at all? I am willing to train passionate crew members, but need steady and sure hands around the dock. Tell me about yourselves in general, and what days in the next couple weeks you are available.