Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2006

dm567 is an unknown quantity at this point
wanted: will pay for cabin on extended crossing

I am looking to rent a cabin on a sailboat doing an ocean crossing. While I have a bareboat license and experience on coastal cruising I have never crossed an ocean and it is a dream of mine. I am looking for a relaxing trip on a safe, comfortable and well equiped boat 40' and higher with an experienced skipper. I can cook and am an able mechanic should the need arise. However, I do not wish the typical crew shifts but will gladly assist when asked to or the need arises.

I don't know if this has been done before so even if you don't have what I'm asking for please leave comments as to whether this is possible or how to go about it.

Thanks,
dm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
May I suggest Carnival Cruises or the QE II
Old 07-11-2006

I didn't know the senior members in this community were so comical. Perhaps this particular member has found a new career. I'm 42 years old, live in California, and besides the money can offer my services during the trip. I do believe that most people would consider this a different kind of trip than a Carnival Cruise! If there are any boat owners planning such a trip and could use some extra cash for their trip contact me. If there are any other boaters who can make meaningfull suggestions please post also.
Old 07-11-2006

toddrtownsend is on a distinguished road
It was meaningful actually . . .

Serial poster Surfesq really was trying to help, but in his own inimitable way.

Even on a fairly large cruising sailboat, you are only going to have perhaps 6 people onboard. It is hard enough to find a compatible group of people let alone having to tell 5 of the passengers who are likely paying and working that "Oh, that one guy, he doesn't have to do anything unless we need him. In fact, he doesn't have a watch."

I wouldn't want to be that Captain.

The response was unpalatable, perhaps, but I would recommend the same or a tramp steamer if you can find one these days.

Trt
Old 07-11-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Might want to try http://www.sailopo.com/index.html as a place to start looking. I would also suggest that if you're really interested in making a passage, that you should be fully prepared to work your @$$ off doing so... people who do not work on a small sailboat on an ocean passage are good targets for getting dropped overboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-11-2006

Thanks Todd. Much more artfully put than my obvious attempt at humor. Serial Poster? I can't approach most the old guys on this site.
All kidding aside, I would never consider bringing a person aboard who was not willing to participate as crew. Even my 41' boat is not big enough for an ocean passage with someone who intends to go for a ride. Hence my suggestion.
I would also add that Sailing Dog is a very polite man who has a lot of knowledge. (We tease each other but I respect his opinion). So if he says you are likely to get wet listen up.
Old 07-11-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Thanks surfesq...

BTW, if I were approached by someone wanting to make a bluewater passage, even paying for the opportunity, but not willing to work during the passage, I'd vote for dragging them behind the boat in the dinghy... with just K-rations for supplies.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-12-2006

Now I'm getting somewhere. I see that it is not likely to find this situation. Furthermore, if there is going to be resentment on the part of the crew I wouldn't want to be there. Since I was paying and not being paid to crew I thought some seasoned salts would understand the situation and not be offended. It was not my intention to insult anyone, just to find someone who needed money and had space on a trip. I'm pretty sure I'm not into the 6 hours on 6 hours off routine so I will disontinue my search. I guess there are no passengers on smaller yachts doing ocean crossings. I'll stick with the coast where I can get a good nights sleep.
Old 07-12-2006
Telstar 28

There are no passengers on smaller yatchs doing ocean crossings. No such animal exists. Small yatchs, even medium sized ones, are far too small to have the luxury of a passenger on an open water passage. People on board, who don't pull their weight, don't belong on board, regardless of how much money they may have paid for their berth.

If you are willing to work during the passage, and you might be able to work out something where you can sleep during the night, if you have additional skills like sail repair, navigation, etc... as was commonly the case on old-time sailing ships. But being along just for the ride is very probably unacceptable.

People pay good money to get a berth on a boat making a bluewater passage. To some people, the experience of being out on bluewater with an experienced captain and crew is worthwhile, often as a stepping stone to becoming a bluewater sailor. Getting paid to crew is not common on bluewater passages, especially for unskilled, unexperienced newbies.

Also, relaxing is generally not a word I'd use for even a well-equipped and well-designed boat, if it is less than 75'. Most small sailboats...and anything smaller than 75' is still a pretty small sailboat is not going to be relaxing if you hit any bad weather. Sailing is a avocation that is fraught with risk—battling the open ocean and weather is not something for the faint-hearted. That isn't to say that sailing, when properly done on a well-equipped boat, is very risky, but there will always be some element of risk that can not be avoided.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-12-2006

Well said. I brought one of my brothers along for a sail to Bermuda two summers ago. We got hammered pretty good by a storm just as we reached the gulf stream. High winds and big seas for 24 hours were enough for my brother to calmly leave the boat in Bermuda and board a plane without saying goodbye. He pitched in while we were in the sh*t but to this day he continues to maintain that anyone who sails out of reach of the Coast Guard is crazy.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.