Hard time finding crew opportunities - SailNet Community
 62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 126 Old 01-03-2015 Thread Starter

Hard time finding crew opportunities

My sailing/dive partner and I have been looking for team crewing opportunities on multiple crew finding sites, but unfortunately they have not been of much assistance. Even after uploading our resumes, the jobs that do show up on the websites are limited and very far away. We do have experience, and we want to learn as much as we can about sailing, but so far it is proving difficult to find that opportunity.

We have a San Juan 7.7 in the Chesapeake Bay that we have lived aboard every summer since the summer of 2012 when we purchased it. We have crewed on a 30 foot Bristol for a single man on his own personal journey from Stuart, FL to Beaufort, SC via the ICW and a brief period off shore.

So in a way, this is two posts in one:
1. Where can we find more crewing opportunities?
and
2. If you need crew, we are available!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 126 Old 01-03-2015

Dock
Re: Hard time finding crew opportunities

You can find more oportunities on your own boat. I am not being facetious, though I sound like it. Consider your proposal the other way around: if your boat was in the tropics and was gently cruising up and down the islands would you need crew?

Mum and Dad on a cruising boat just don't need other people on board unless its Great Aunt Polly for a 3 minute vacation.

They sure don't need a bunch of free loaders captured off the internet who could turn out to be drug smuggling vegan ratbags who insist on anchoring next to a dive site instead of near the French bakery.

So that leaves you with professional crew jobs that means you need your STCW95 and you will be carrying a tray, or swabbing decks for 16 hours per day. And they will never anchor where you want...

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 126 Old 01-03-2015

As usual I mostly agree with Mark!

We have twice tried to take crew for long trips, over 2,500 nm, but they jumped ship when we pulled into a boatyard to do a weeks work before the trip. Scraping and painting the bottom in 90 deg weather appears to be the best way to get rid of young crew...

Now we only take old and trusted friends two of whom have each sailed over 5,000 nm with us and will be on board for the 4,300 nm from Panama to the Marquesas.

Your best bet is to take your own boat down through the Bahamas to the Caribbean. I know a couple with a 12 yr-old daughter who managed it both ways on a 26 ft boat!

Phil
post #4 of 126 Old 01-03-2015 Thread Starter

Well I can assure you we are certainly not drug smuggling vegans. Though we are young, we understand that there is a lot of tedious and not so glamorous work involved with up keep of any boat, and we are 110% willing to do all that grunt work, because we know it's a part of the process, and we honestly want to make a career out of sailing/diving. We did a lot of that kind of work while living at our marina, as well as managing our own dive business throughout the summer. Our San Juan has no luxuries, so we're not expecting to be spoiled. We just want to find any chance we can to learn.
Yorksailor and Nancyleeny like this.
post #5 of 126 Old 01-03-2015
Mermaid Hunter

What does crewing mean to you? Do you expect to be paid or just fed? Long-term relationships or passages?
zeehag likes this.

sail fast and eat well, dave
S/V Auspicious
AuspiciousWorks.com
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

post #6 of 126 Old 01-03-2015

Just curious, what is it exactly that you think you are going to learn that you can't on your own boat? Is it an income issue, that holds you to your current locale? I know people who think this is the impediment, it is not. I've cruised with many people who find work in the areas that they cruise, from the NE to the Islands.

I guess I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish (also agree w/ MoSL), most people I know that want to crew don't own a boat and are gaining exp. thru other peoples vessels. You already have a 25 foot boat. I met a couple of 18yo Canadian kids (Knotty Bouys) that made it all the way to the D.R. on a 26 footer. So... again...??
zeehag likes this.
post #7 of 126 Old 01-03-2015 Thread Starter

We're not trying to get into sailing as a career for the money. On the trip we went on from FL to SC, he paid for our travel expenses to get to him, fed us, and helped us with certain financial obligations. I understand being under a captain of a personally owned vessel will vary from captain to captain, so we are very open minded when it comes to that. Again, we do want to do this as a career, so we are willing to be on board for any duration of time, anything that will help us further our chances of making sailing a reliable career.

glymroff: I can understand why you would be confused. Having our own sailboat has given us much experience, our only issue with long distance trips is our motor. We have a short shaft and a rig job and no swivel bracket. We have limited resources and finances, and motors aren't really cheap. And during the winter we come home to WV, so we're not near our boat or any consignment shops to keep an eye out for anything that could be of assistance.
post #8 of 126 Old 01-03-2015
Sailboat Reboot

Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

1. What does making a career mean to you? If you aspire to own a dive boat then you need to start with getting a 6 pack license. If you aspire to work on mega-yachts you need professional merchant mariner credentials and need to start collecting licenses.
2. Being a team may be hurting your chances. I never take on a team, particularly if they are not experienced. It is too easy (and has happened to me in the past) that it is "the team" vs the Captain.
3. Being young, poor, and a team is hurting your chances. It smacks of "we would like a free ride vacation." If you are willing to pay your way to and from the boat, pay your fair share of food expenses (plus 100% of your booze and recreation expenses) you might find it easier to find a boat.
4. What is the quid pro quo? Diving, photography, and cooking are skills just about everyone in the crewing small boat game has in common with you. Fixing just about anything that breaks is also a skill that most offshore skippers already have. What unique talent do you have that would make me choose you? Don't tell me you have a guitar and want to bring your dog for a transatlantic voyage (that actually happened to me in Tenerife in the Canaries!)
5. Can you demonstrate that you handle stress? Many offshore sailors joke that transits are days of boredom interspersed with hours of pure terror.

I don't mean to put you down or be negative. But getting started is very hard. Most of the time it means being in the right place at the right time. And frankly, it has become very competitive. When I was in the Canaries for the November-December annual transit from Europe to the Caribbean there were 600 people more people who wanted to crew then there were crew slots. The going price was for you to pay the Captain 1000 euro per person for the privilege of crewing across the Atlantic.

Best of luck.

Fair winds and following seas
ketch05 likes this.

CAPT Roger J. Jones USN (ret.)

Sailboat Reboot

411 Walnut Street, #9700, Green Cove Springs, FL 32043-3443

Reboot's Agent's Email:

Web Site:

Blogging:

Twitter @Sailboat_Reboot
post #9 of 126 Old 01-03-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter79 View Post
We're not trying to get into sailing as a career for the money.

Again, we do want to do this as a career, so we are willing to be on board for any duration of time, anything that will help us further our chances of making sailing a reliable career.
No Quarter... This is why people are confused with what your goals are.

svzephyr has given you some good advice

Tempest
Sabre 34
Morgan, NJ
post #10 of 126 Old 01-03-2015

So let's look at it from the other side.
Assume passage of >1000m, 40-60'craft,owner on board.
1. Couple- bad on small boat with 3-6souls on board. Us and them dynamic. Risk of the couple v. everyone else. I would avoid couples except as live lumber.
2. Never done that passage before. No asset when filling out insurance form.
3. No blue water experience. Actual detriment when filling out insurance form. They may require additional crew.
4. No demonstrated skill set. Owner gets to pick crew why pick you with many other choices out there.Many offer less concerns.
5. No references. High risk for owner.
You may find work on mega yachts but don't think it likely on the usual type of cruising sailboat. Owner has too much at stake. Too little room to be carrying two people who don't work out.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.