SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Wanted crew to move/cruise bluewater sailboat from USA anywhere,up to fewmonths using

4K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
I offer my sailboat to experienced hands, to move it from NJ,Bridgeport 08027, Richard buttonwood marina to Bermuda or anywhere away from USA best to Carribean. You can use it longer time up to few months for free as reward. Its old boat 1960, very strong built, 12500 LBS displacement, 30 feets, Rawson 30,long keel, 3 sails,Mitsubishi vetus 22hp diesel,VHF,alcohol stove,2xsolar panel 35W, pictures at www.geocities.com/dak6 , name "Windsong" ,you can call me +421 910622599 (European union), or email to jfree987@yahoo.com for another questions. Previous owner of the boat Doug Koriakin 609-204-0835 , Marina owner Jim Richards (mobile) 215-397-7583 , (fixed) 856-467-9173. Stable and seaworthy cruiser.
I cant do it myself, medical pension in East Europe, very low, so considered as potential immigrant from economic reasons by embassy....so no entry to USA, just paying marina for place and owe there money for place. THanks.Jan.

#2 ·
Not this again... this is probably the fifth thread you've started on this...and the eighth or ninth you've posted about it in... UGH.

#4 · (Edited)
Jan, if you owe the marina money they will put a lien against the boat and not allow it to be launched, much less to leave the marina, until they are paid in full.

If you own the boat and it is in the water, the US should allow anyone who is "crew in transit to their vessel" to enter the US for the purposes of leaving with the boat. Like many other nations, the US may not allow you to enter unless you have a return air ticket or other financial bond showing you can pay your way back out again, boat or not.

And last time I looked, Bermuda was a prime example of this. You will not be allowed to "live aboard" in Bermuda. You will not be allowed to enter without proof that you can and will exit again, in a timely manner. And your "crew" may be held liable if they abandon the boat in Bermuda. I'm afraid that you need to do some specific research about where you can move the boat--to retire on it, or just to be allowed to fly in and sail away with it. Bermuda is not at all unusual this way.

But recommissioning and fitting a boat for an offshore delivery is NOT something that any capable and responsible party is likely to do for free, even if you are offering to let them use the boat for a while. No life raft? No SSB? Not offshore-ready, and probably will require some substantial investment to make it that way.

Once the yard bill reaches the book value of the boat (asking price $4,800US according to the web pages) the yard will put a yard lien on it and sell off the boat, so if you ignore this problem it will go away.

#5 ·
Hellosailor has a very good point... if the fees get to the point they're equal to the price of the boat, or more, the marina will just sell the boat off, and may hold you liable for any fees owed above what they recover in the sale of the boat. If you can't afford to get a tourist visa to come over the US and prep the boat and sail it yourself, with or without a hired crew, you're likely to just lose whatever you've paid for the boat very shortly. The chance of someone being dumb enough to want to sail a questionable boat, with questionable paperwork and possible legal entanglements and not be paid is very unlikely.

#7 ·
Surfesq said:
Hello...this is a scam....I am convinced of it. You know he is going to ask you to either accept funds for the payment of the marina fees into your account..which he will ask for. or something like that.
Don't have to tell me that... I'm just playing devil's advocate... I think that this is definitely fishy, as it was posted on eight or nine threads... and the circumstances just sound too bizarre to be legit. Doesn't help that JohnnyRawson30 has only been on the board long enough to post this series of posts...with no previous history.

#9 ·
So, you're expecting whoever uses the boat to put money into a boat that they don't own to repair it. Yeah, right... dream on...you're seriously deluded if you think you're going to get any one skilled enough to take on this project.

Any sailors skilled and knowledgeable enough to be capable of repairing the boat and getting it ready for bluewater is going to stay a long way away from this.

To recap:

You expect the person that will be moving the boat for you to do it for free.

You expect the person to pay for the repairs necessary to make the boat ready for bluewater passages.

You expect that they will handle all the paperwork involved in moving a yatch owned by a foreign national, from the United States, to a foreign country.

And you expect that they will do this merely for the pleasure of using a beatup, and very questionable quality boat that they have no equity interest in, for no compensation.

Yeah, right... good luck with that.

#10 ·
Once again...Is the boat documented? You can't gain US documentation, so it will need another national documentation/registration. And if you put NJ state registration on it, there's no assurance that any delivery crew would be ALLOWED to enter another country with it.

And without any papers...the USCG may not allow it to exit the US, and state officials may present other concerns.

It sounds like you still don't understand that unless you meet ALL regulations, state, national, and international, that vessel will most likely be impounded and taken from you. And the folks who sail it into some foreign country, will be held liable for storage and disposal fees if someone doesn't show up on time to take it back OUT of that country again.

Sorry, Johny, but if you are legit on this one, your best bet is to come do it yourself. Take the train or hitchhike to Brussels, fly a cheap carrier like Icelandic into Newark NJ, and you'll be able to sail it away. If you can't afford that--then you probably can't afford the launch fee and the other expenses.

#11 ·
Hellosailer,

I think you may have missed the boat on this thread. We established no documentation at USCG ...and that the posting is a scam...a while ago.

I'm intertested in one comment you made: "And without any papers...the USCG may not allow it to exit the US.." I haven't had my boat out of the USA territory, but I've always assumed that to do so, I just take an Easterly heading and keep going, and nobody in the USA needs to say OK. Is that not true?

#12 ·
This is a great thread regarding regulations! Seriously, we all need to be better informed of the limitations or whatelse are out there that might entangle us at the least expected moment. I actually hope we could make a list of these kind of threads just for people to gain awareness and insight.

#13 ·
Boat was registered just in Department of Motor Vehicles, not in USCG. You dont need to put the money to it. Just one window to screw on. And you can use it longer time. Chater the boat, you will pay at last 50usd per day or more. It is for somebody who wants to sail and use it. But it seems that here are just people who dont want to help just waste my time and good will. So good luck to you, and have the same in your life from people around, when you will need to manage something.

#14 ·
sailingfool said:
Hellosailer,

I think you may have missed the boat on this thread. We established no documentation at USCG ...and that the posting is a scam...a while ago.

I'm intertested in one comment you made: "And without any papers...the USCG may not allow it to exit the US.." I haven't had my boat out of the USA territory, but I've always assumed that to do so, I just take an Easterly heading and keep going, and nobody in the USA needs to say OK. Is that not true?
It may be true that you can leave the country by just sailing east off the coast into the Atlantic...but you should know that getting back in is likely to be very very difficult. The immigration and customs procedures are very strictly enforced since 2001. If you're going to be leaving the US...and ever want the chance of coming back, then you might want to follow the rules.

#15 ·
JohnysRawson30 said:
Boat was registered just in Department of Motor Vehicles, not in USCG. You dont need to put the money to it. Just one window to screw on. And you can use it longer time. Chater the boat, you will pay at last 50usd per day or more. It is for somebody who wants to sail and use it. But it seems that here are just people who dont want to help just waste my time and good will. So good luck to you, and have the same in your life from people around, when you will need to manage something.
If the boat is state registered, do you really expect someone to try and take this boat into a foreign country... without internationally recognized boat papers?

I don't really see us as wasting your time... we're under no obligation to help you.... and we're pointing out valid questions, and you haven't answered any of them to any degree of satisfaction. To get a state registration on a boat, AFAIK, you need to have a legal address in the state. You don't.... so the state registration may not be legal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.