Looking to sail from New York to south America - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DRFerron

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-22-2015 Thread Starter

Looking to sail from New York to south America

Hi there, I'm new with all of this and I'm travelling from Toronto to New York this Monday and going to South America after. I've no experience sailing, but I did work in a Thames barge that sailed Italy and the strait of Messina for 6 months, night watches of 6 hours, was at the wheel crossing Messina, very exciting... But never putting out the sail. If anyone is around the area of New York and sailing to south America around the 5th of May I would love to catch a ride. I'm 35 years old, love travelling and adventure, I learn fast and I dont mind hard work. I have to be back in the UK the 22nd of May. Thank you so much and happy sailings.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-22-2015

Re: Looking to sail from New York to south America

Check out Alex

Alex Dorsey | The Minimalist Sailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 Old 04-22-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosmina View Post
Hi there, I'm new with all of this and I'm travelling from Toronto to New York this Monday and going to South America after. I've no experience sailing, but I did work in a Thames barge that sailed Italy and the strait of Messina for 6 months, night watches of 6 hours, was at the wheel crossing Messina, very exciting... But never putting out the sail. If anyone is around the area of New York and sailing to south America around the 5th of May I would love to catch a ride. I'm 35 years old, love travelling and adventure, I learn fast and I dont mind hard work. I have to be back in the UK the 22nd of May. Thank you so much and happy sailings.
No offense Gosmina, but to sail to South America from New York on the 5th of May and be back in the UK on the 22nd is a very ambitious plan to say the least.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-22-2015 Thread Starter

Hi. Thank you gtod25 and SVTatia for the quick response. I did imagine that would be pretty hard to this sail, but i wouldn't mind if I have to meet half the way or leave sooner... Just really would like to have the experience even if its just a 2 weeks sail. Thank you for the information.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-22-2015
Daniel - Norsea 27

Another thing to think about, many people going that route are not likely to actually sail, but rather motor down the ICW until Florida then island hop until making it far enough south. Would likely take longer than the few weeks you have available and that's with good weather the entire time.

If you're able to go any part of the way, go have fun anyway. Good luck to you.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.
-Paul Carvel
post #6 of 8 Old 04-22-2015
Dragon Mod

Dock

Isn't this the wrong time of year to head south? Most boats are heading north for hurricane season.
Faster likes this.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
post #7 of 8 Old 04-22-2015
Just another Moderator

Your time frame is completely unrealistic, sorry, as is any expectation of arranging such a trip on such short notice, never mind that people generally won't be heading that way for a while as Donna noted.

You'd be lucky to get to Florida by the 22nd....

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #8 of 8 Old 04-22-2015 Thread Starter

Ok, thank you all for he advices. I might just do it another time of fhe year and with more time. Thanks again

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.