SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

FL-NY Sailing 5/12/16

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  WanderingStar 
#1 ·
I'd like one more on the crew. One guy hurt his back and reluctantly pulled out. There are two others and myself. The boat is in Boynton Beach (near West Palm), going to Mount Sinai NY (Long Island, near Port Jefferson).
The boat is a 39' 1968 ketch. She has VHF, EPIRB, liferaft and hard dinghy. No RADAR, chartplotter, AIS or autopilot, but handheld GPS, new charts, back up electronic charts are all aboard. She has made this trip twice in my care. I'm a CG vet, sailing since childhood. The plan is sail out Lake Worth inlet and head north in the Gulf Stream as far as practical. If the weather threatens, we will use the ICW. We might stop just for a break. I expect the trip to take about two weeks, but I will consider sailors that can only go partway. I pay for all fuel, food, dock fees. Any meals or drinks ashore you pay for yourself. No drinking underway, no recreational drugs permitted on board.
I have successfully recruited crew online before, with good results. I've crewed for others and been invited again. Reply here and we'll make contact.

#3 ·
Savor, thank you. My back up guy came through today, so the berth is filled. If you think you would be interested in part of this trip, or any later trip, send me a private message. We can exchange information. There will be other trips north and south. Last fall two of my crew only committed to Norfolk southbound. I did the ICW with one other, a third man would have let us take some offshore hops. That applies to anyone else that would like to sail with us.

#4 ·
Update:
The boat is safely moored in Mt Sinai, the crew at home. The trip did not have ideal weather, too much NE and drizzle. Nothing of consequence was lost or broken. 14 days, 5.5 hours, most of the miles outside, most of the days inside.
I'll do it again, and post for crew when necessary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.