SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

transport Houston to Bahamas

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Pastorken576 
#1 ·
I posted this in the general forum, but I wonder if anyone here has had experience with this run or thoughts about it.

I have recently moved to the Bahamas (not as exotic as it seems, but still very fun) and in the process of getting rid of an old car I had in the States, was offered a Catalina 27 in trade. It seems like a nice boat, but it doesn't have a trailer, and it is in Houston, TX.

My sailing experience is quite limited. I took some lessons and sailed a Catalina 22 for a couple of summers on an inland lake. So, I am not qualified to sail it here myself. I thought about pulling it to Fla and sailing over, but I don't have a trailer. I would love the experience of sailing it here from Houston, but don't know whether that should be attempted in such a small boat. Do some captains who deliver boats take the owner along as crew?

Thanks for your input.

#3 ·
Unfortunately, professional delivery expenses are likely to run higher than what the C27 is worth, assuming it's in good shape. It's not uncommon for boats like that to be worth much less, even less than zero, if they require any significant work on motors, sails, standing rigging, the deck or hull.

I would sell the car and buy a boat in the Bahamas, or at least the east coast of FL.

#8 ·
Have you had someone survey the vessel? It will save you a lot of problems and tell you what is good and what needs repaired or replacing. I wouldn't take the boat out until I had the survey done and followed up on recommendations. It will cost you a little for the survey but it is well worth it. Boats tend to require constant care especially in a salt water environment. I learned the hard way and ended up with a bad leaky exhaust due to a gentleman's understanding. I spent the money for the new exhaust and a survey.

#11 ·
Actually I am in the Bahamas now. Freeport. The island is recovering from Matthew. The sailing club here has a couple of nice keel boats in addition to their Opti training boats, or at least they were. Now the Catalina 25 has a hole the size of a television in it! Above the water line, at least. Took out two portholes and part of the roof of the cabin on the port side. blown repeatedly against a piling on the dock. We also obtained a Hunter 27 that came floating down the canal and wedged in the boat lift. After some conversations with the owner and the salvage yard, we will be keeping that one as well. Now to the repair work!

Thanks for your interest. Come by and sail with us sometime!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.