Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2006

crewmember is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Charter Boat From Panama To Cartagena

hi everyone.

i was looking for a boat to cross from cartagena to panama and couldnt get any information about it.

so i went to Club Nautica in Cartagena where i found a 47 feet boat Kite
with american capitan Patrick Canning. The trip was just wonderful, we safely came to panama spending 2 great days on San Blas islands.

There were 2 other small, 30 feet boats going from Cartagena to panama, but they just didnt look right as their colombian owners, so i took Kite.

When we arrived to san blas, i met passangers from those colombian boats, i guess capitans name was Fernando, so all passengers were complaining about their trip and they said that the capitans hardly gave them any food and boats were in terrible conditions. Neither they had rafts or life save jackets.

so passengers from other boats tryed to get on our boat to reach panama, that much they didnt trust their colombian boats.

now we are in panama safely, and i strongly recommend to anybody who wants to go from cartagena to panama or from panama to cartagena use capitan Patricks service on his beautiful 47 feet Kite.

here is his contact information

www.flythekite.com

email.
svkite@yahoo.com

cell phone in panama. (code of panama) 6666 2210
cell phone in colombia (57) 316 5848 865

DO NOT TAKE COLOMBIAN BOATS AND DO NOT TRUST THEIR CAPITANS
THEY DONT MAINTAIN THEIR BOATS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2006
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
This is what I love about the Internet (said sarcastically).
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 10-20-2009

Aspro is on a distinguished road
Anyone sailing Cartagena to Panama should avoid "Rita 2" !!! - May be the boat being reffered to.

Captains name is Rodriguez (could be another name), he's Argentinian with a beard and a very disagreable disposition. Argued, yelled and screamed at his wife the entire trip (wife no 6, he's probably got a new one now....)

Spent 7 days on his vessel with 5 other passengers. It was a crew of 8 people on board. No life jackets, no safety gear at all, radio was not working, blige pump was not working, boat leaked and engine repeatedly broke down - stopped working.

Day 5 we ran out of drinking water - arrived at port day 7 severely dehydrated. The boat was becalmed on the same day with no engine to power it, no land in sight and no radio to alert authorities. Boat started leaking, the bilge pump wasn't working. We were bailing a greasy mix of deisel and water with a hand pump and a bucket for 2 days after that.

We copped some bad weather on the evening of day 5. That same night I came on deck, we'd busted a sail in 40-45 knot winds. The Captain had the boat on course and had sent a young bloke up the front to wrestle with the sail, it was very dangerous, the kid had no idea what he was doing and was being thrown around all over the deck in a big short sharp chop, no life jacket, no harness, if he'd gone over he wouldn't have been seen again. The engines had started working by this stage so I told the Captain he was an ******* and we got him back where it was safer.

I could keep going but by now I'm sure you'll have got the idea, it's a bad boat. We've reported all this (myself and the other 5 passengers) to port authorities. Individual complaints were also sent to the booking agent, who's assured us that she will not use this boat for bookings again. But who knows... It's Central America man....!

My mistake was not to insist on a thorough inpection of the boat, gear and inventory before we departed. I'd happilly sail with a Central or South American Captain and boat again but I'd be running a check list on it before departure for my own peace of mind.

Last edited by Aspro; 10-20-2009 at 07:06 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 11-05-2009

fritzmelony is on a distinguished road
Smile Panama Cartagena on SY ZAO

Hello friends,
I just travelled from Panama Portobello to Cartagena with the SV ZAO and his umbeliveble capitain Laonardo (sorry for my english...!). We payed 375 per person and 375 for the bike (big Ducati). Leonardo tooke us all along the paradise of San Blas Islands (we saw 7 or 8 islands) till Sapzurro, then we spend a day in Sapzurro and then we sailed a full night to Cartagena. The trip had been a dream, so beautifull !! The boat, in despite of his appearence (not painted, not perfectely clean, but not dearty any more, well not a yacht) is so strong, so perfectely working in all the sailing feature that I have been impressed, and is very roomy, we were 8 plus the captain and we never felt uncofortable....Leonardo is a kind of special person. A very strong and detrmined character (he was University teacher of physiscs!) (very nice with nice people but quite bad with people he does not like....!) but so full of knowledge, so in love with the sea.....he really teach you the meaning of sailing) well, overall was a very pleasant experience...I hope you will have the chance to have too. bye bye fritz
Old 04-09-2010

observer is on a distinguished road
We have just visited the San Bernado islands in Colombia (cerca Tolu) and Rita 2 was pulled in by the colombian navy. It would appear that the boat hit trouble on the lastest voyage and the captain was lost overboard (dead). No other details are available.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.