Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2007

zephyrflow is on a distinguished road
Sailboat Crew
Personal Data: William Dwyer II, williamdwyer@usa.net, 330-388-7270, w/m, single, divorced, one child, retired firefighter age 65
Nautical Training: Basic and adv. Piloting, Basic and adv. Sail, Power Squadron Jr. Navigator and Navigator. I can do celestial nav.
Nautical Experience: One month sail on 43Ft. sloop as first mate. I am a great cook!
Education: B.S. Aerospace Tech, B.S. Mechanical Engineering (8/05), Aircraft Mech.
Licenses: Commercial Pilot, Flight Instructor, Ex. Paramedic (25yrs.), Ham Radio (General Class), Ex Journeymen Firefighter/Paramedic (25yrs.)
Physical Capability: excellent for my age
Crew Compatibility: Exfirefighter crew team oriented and disciplined.
Books Read: I have read all of them: Sailing, Radar, Weather, forecasting, anchoring, piloting, celestial, diesel engine, electrical, sub systems, and cooking.
Objective: Crew now / Skipper later
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2008

Davidrogerson is an unknown quantity at this point
I am a Yachtmaster offshore sail and Coastal skipper motor(commercially endorsed). I hold the stcw95, MCA approved engine course and various other qualifications.
I have sailed intensly in the solent, France and the coast of England and have completed three ocean passages in the caribbean.
I am also aqualified Chef.
Ready when you are! david.rogerson@ hotmail.co.uk

Last edited by Davidrogerson; 03-10-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-11-2008

JacquesLangusto is an unknown quantity at this point
I would like to help you but I will be sailing that way at that time. Unfortunate, yes, as a lobster and a scientist I feel I have much to offer.
Old 03-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
David/Jacques-

Considering the OP is a year old, he's probably already found crew, been and come back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-11-2008
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
David/Jacques-

Considering the OP is a year old, he's probably already found crew, been and come back.
Not to mention ............. "The Rest Of The Story" ................
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 03-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Ajari-

I'm being nice... no need to bring that up. LOL.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-11-2008

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Don't be nice, Dog. What's the scuttlebutt?
Old 03-11-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Billy...check here and see the Dawg's first post on the thread and his link.
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-w...st-thomas.html
Old 03-12-2008
Telstar 28

Billy-

From that thread, here are the two relevant posts of mine, the link Cam mentions is in the second post:

Quote:
My take on it is this... if you're asking people to crew for you... that is what they are signing up to do... the boat should be reasonably ready to depart when they show up...and not need major work for them to do before it is ready to leave. The boat should be seaworthy, relatively clean and with all the necessary safety gear aboard.

This doesn't appear to be the case, at least from what I've read of Kacper's account of his trip. The people who showed up to crew were asked to help do work that by all rights should have been done before they showed up. They didn't sign up to be boat drudges or boatyard staff... yet that is what appears to have happened. The boat wasn't ready to go... not even close.

Now this isn't to say that they should expect to have an easy ride of it... if maintenance or repairs are required during the voyage, I would expect that they would assist to the best of their abilities. If the head clogs two days out... then they have no right to expect that the captain will repair the head without assistance.

There's a big difference between working on a boat during a voyage, and doing drudge work in a boatyard to get it ready for the voyage. When I had to prep my boat and paint the bottom, the people who helped me out were people who crew with me regularly. The people who only crew ocassionally weren't asked to help do the work—the ones who were asked have a vested interest in doing so—their sweat equity is the reason they have open access to the boat.
Quote:
TommyT-

There's a vast difference between having to spend a single day getting the boat prepped for a voyage, and spending the better part of a week doing same. Working 9:00 to 6:00 and taking two hours off to paint a shark on the keel, means that less than a standard business day was spent working on the boat. From Kacper's thread, located here, seven full days were spent cleaning up the boat and doing routine maintenance, versus prepping the boat for a voyage. Installing a new engine and re-building the exhaust system for it does not qualify as prepping a boat for a voyage—that is pure boat yard work, pure and simple. Comparing a day's work of prepping the boat—stowing the supplies and putting on the anchor roller, windlass and dodger—to re-powering and repainting a boat isn't really sensible. Anyone crewing on a boat would expect to help stow supplies, mount dodgers, and such, but repowering and repainting the entire boat is way beyond what is reasonable to expect.

Telstar 28
New England

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-12-2008 at 01:53 AM.