Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2007

Kernix is on a distinguished road
PA NJ area newbie would like to crew

Just a newbie, but is their anyone in the Philadelphia \ So Jersey shore area that needs any help with their boat? I'm willing to be someone's bi-atch if you teach me how to sail - I'll carry all the heavy stuff, do all the cooking and cleaning, etc.

Just hoping to learn ASAP without having to pay $200-300 everytime I go out for a weekend with a club.

Thanks,
Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
So, basically you're a boat drudge looking to trade labor and maintenance work for sailing time... that's not a bad deal... Have you asked at the local yatch clubs and marinas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-05-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernix
Just a newbie, but is their anyone in the Philadelphia \ So Jersey shore area that needs any help with their boat? I'm willing to be someone's bi-atch if you teach me how to sail - I'll carry all the heavy stuff, do all the cooking and cleaning, etc.

Just hoping to learn ASAP without having to pay $200-300 everytime I go out for a weekend with a club.

Thanks,
Jim
My boat should be in the water by the end of June, send me a message.

Paul
Old 06-05-2007
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
I can't commit to a day at this point, but I'll take you out. Although I am only a novice myself.
Old 06-05-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Jotun-

You often can learn a lot from teaching... even if you're only a step or two ahead of the student...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 06-05-2007

Kernix is on a distinguished road
Sailingdog - "boat drudge" - not familiar with the term but if it's like a "gopher" or some one you flog\beat or the lowest man on the totem pole, then YES - why would someone who does not know me take a newbie out. I offer the incentive of being the bitch - I'll cook\clean, I'll even buy the beer - just show me the "ropes" in between - $50 spent on beer is a lot less than $250 for a club trip. I've gone sailing that one weekend, plus constantly read so not a total newb, but ....

Freesail99 - where are you? Jersey?

Jotun - where are you? And though I'm a newb, basic sailing seems pretty simple - I imagine things like celestial nav, lnav for long cruises, sailing in rough conditions or with a spinnaker, etc are things that take time - but it seems simple - I think that I coulds do basic sailing by myself in less than 6 months - I'll go out with you - you're probably better than you think.

Jim
Old 06-05-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
My boat is in Tuckerton, I am in Malaga. Tuckerton is about 1.5 hours from Philly. I may be moving the boat to the Delaware Bay.
Old 06-05-2007
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernix
Sailingdog - "boat drudge" - not familiar with the term but if it's like a "gopher" or some one you flog\beat or the lowest man on the totem pole, then YES - why would someone who does not know me take a newbie out. I offer the incentive of being the bitch - I'll cook\clean, I'll even buy the beer - just show me the "ropes" in between - $50 spent on beer is a lot less than $250 for a club trip. I've gone sailing that one weekend, plus constantly read so not a total newb, but ....
Jim-

If you're ever up my neck of the woods, Buzzards Bay... let me know... be happy to have you crew. Also, might be doing a trip down to the Chesapeake this year... and might stop in NJ/Delaware area on the way down or back.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 06-05-2007
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
I live in Wilmington, DE--about 45 minutes from Philly. My boat is on the Bohemia River, which is in Chesapeake City, MD. That's another 45 minutes south. All told you're looking at about an hour and a half to the dock. You might even make it faster than that if you shoot down I-95.

SD, if you come down to the Bay, I'll meet you out. You'll be coming right past me.
Old 06-05-2007
Telstar 28

Jotun-

I'll keep you posted.

Telstar 28
New England

Last edited by sailingdog; 06-05-2007 at 07:35 PM.