SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

PA NJ area newbie would like to crew

3K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Kernix 
#1 ·
Just a newbie, but is their anyone in the Philadelphia \ So Jersey shore area that needs any help with their boat? I'm willing to be someone's bi-atch if you teach me how to sail - I'll carry all the heavy stuff, do all the cooking and cleaning, etc.

Just hoping to learn ASAP without having to pay $200-300 everytime I go out for a weekend with a club.

Thanks,
Jim

#2 ·
So, basically you're a boat drudge looking to trade labor and maintenance work for sailing time... that's not a bad deal... ;) Have you asked at the local yatch clubs and marinas?

#3 ·
Kernix said:
Just a newbie, but is their anyone in the Philadelphia \ So Jersey shore area that needs any help with their boat? I'm willing to be someone's bi-atch if you teach me how to sail - I'll carry all the heavy stuff, do all the cooking and cleaning, etc.

Just hoping to learn ASAP without having to pay $200-300 everytime I go out for a weekend with a club.

Thanks,
Jim
My boat should be in the water by the end of June, send me a message.

Paul

#5 ·
Jotun-

You often can learn a lot from teaching... even if you're only a step or two ahead of the student... ;)

#6 ·
Sailingdog - "boat drudge" - not familiar with the term but if it's like a "gopher" or some one you flog\beat or the lowest man on the totem pole, then YES - why would someone who does not know me take a newbie out. I offer the incentive of being the ***** - I'll cook\clean, I'll even buy the beer - just show me the "ropes" in between - $50 spent on beer is a lot less than $250 for a club trip. I've gone sailing that one weekend, plus constantly read so not a total newb, but ....

Freesail99 - where are you? Jersey?

Jotun - where are you? And though I'm a newb, basic sailing seems pretty simple - I imagine things like celestial nav, lnav for long cruises, sailing in rough conditions or with a spinnaker, etc are things that take time - but it seems simple - I think that I coulds do basic sailing by myself in less than 6 months - I'll go out with you - you're probably better than you think.

Jim

#7 ·
My boat is in Tuckerton, I am in Malaga. Tuckerton is about 1.5 hours from Philly. I may be moving the boat to the Delaware Bay.

#8 ·
Kernix said:
Sailingdog - "boat drudge" - not familiar with the term but if it's like a "gopher" or some one you flog\beat or the lowest man on the totem pole, then YES - why would someone who does not know me take a newbie out. I offer the incentive of being the ***** - I'll cook\clean, I'll even buy the beer - just show me the "ropes" in between - $50 spent on beer is a lot less than $250 for a club trip. I've gone sailing that one weekend, plus constantly read so not a total newb, but ....
Jim-

If you're ever up my neck of the woods, Buzzards Bay... let me know... be happy to have you crew. :D Also, might be doing a trip down to the Chesapeake this year... and might stop in NJ/Delaware area on the way down or back.

#9 ·
I live in Wilmington, DE--about 45 minutes from Philly. My boat is on the Bohemia River, which is in Chesapeake City, MD. That's another 45 minutes south. All told you're looking at about an hour and a half to the dock. You might even make it faster than that if you shoot down I-95.

SD, if you come down to the Bay, I'll meet you out. You'll be coming right past me.

#10 · (Edited)
Jotun-

I'll keep you posted. :)

#13 ·
Sounds good - I am giving my 2.5 weeks notice today and starting my new job on July 2nd - taking off the week before that and camping on the beach for 5 nights \ 4 days at Assateague - Sun 6/24 to Thurs 6/28. If you are up and running the Friday-Saturday-Sunday morning before that or the Friday-Sunday after that, let me know.

#14 ·
C&C 29 in Philadelphia

Jim:

I sail a C&C 29 out of a marina in Philadelphia. I am looking for someone to hold the other end of bolt in doing some maintenance work on this relic. I would be happy to take you out sailing. My experience is over 30 years sailing, from daysailers to 50 charter boats, in New England, New York, Lake Michigan, Delaware River, Chesapeake and Caribbean. Passed USCG "six pack" license exam with 100%.

More at Skipper - R. Harris

I like to pass it on.

Ralph

#15 ·
Cyclebear - excellent - I've stopped down to the marina there near Rock Lobster\Dave & Busters hoping to meet someone and help them out with whateva' with the hopes of getting out and doing some sailing. Count me in. I assume you are at\near pier 17?

I'll send you a private message with my cell & email.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.