Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2007
I'm the FNG still...

Lancer28 is on a distinguished road
Small Crew Wanted, Gulf of mexico cruise and USVI

Crew found. Thanks for looking - we're leaving in December 2007.

Last edited by Lancer28; 09-17-2007 at 09:59 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-2007

MTC1300 is on a distinguished road
Robert:
I might suggest that you consider bringing her to Corpus rather than Houston, I personally think it's much better. Reasonable berth prices. Easier to get in and out of. Galveston is Ok. You might want to consider sailing further than 20-30 miles out from Houston in the Gulf to make sure you miss those oil rigs which are not that high up in the waves, they can be pretty threatening. Your draft and some current charts through the Key's will be important because there just isn't any depth to speak of through there, coming from this side the gulf stream is not bad for you but coming back can be a nuisance. I wish you well keep in contact and if you get down to CC maybe we can meet and talk. I have been first mate and certified medical officer on a 32' and have enjoyed the gulf you will too. But Texas water's are much deeper than Florida. Might think about some current chart's in the Bermuda also.

mtc1300
Old 07-29-2007
I'm the FNG still...

Great ideas! I have about 6 on order. Thanks!

I was also considering keeping close to shore for the first few days to make sure all the gear still works properly, then set off for the straight-line crossing...

Anyhow, I'd be glad to meet up, will PM you on here if I get over your way.
Old 07-29-2007

MTC1300 is on a distinguished road
Robert
Great visiting with you please do keep in touch. You might want to spend a few days geting used to this gulf if you have be sailing strickly lake it sometimes takes a few days to get used to it. I will look forward to meeting you take care.

mtc1300
Old 07-30-2007
I'm the FNG still...

Just checking back with my post. We have only settled in one one member in particular at this point, and are still talking to folks who are interested.

September 15th will be my cut-off for being loaded. We should be ready to sail and in Texas by September 19th. I would prefer to have folks meet us in Denver for the drive to Texas with Honah-Lee in tow, rather than try to all join up somewhere in Texas, which sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

I've had a lot of questions about how much time I would want of a crew in regard to sea time, and I think as long as you have sailed before, been at the helm, know how to trim, I can show you the rest quite easilly.

Thanks,

Robert
Old 08-08-2007

trista22 is on a distinguished road
Small crew posting

Hi Robert,
Any chance you will be in the USVI in October? I will be on St John from the October 12-29 and I would love to do some crewing. I am just learning the ropes but I am a hard worker and a great cook. 3-4 days would be great fun and experience for me.
Trista
Old 08-08-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Robert...is the 9 foot draft listed on the documentation correct? If so you might want to scratch the Keys and the Bahamas off your list.
I would also suggest that
1. Heading out into the Gulf and the tropics at the very peak of hurricane season is not a good idea.
2. You need more time in Texas to really shake down the boat and prepare for a blue water/ long coastal trip. Have the fuel tanks been cleaned out?
Has the rigging been replaced since 1978? Has the engine been run under load and all hoses belts replaced with spares on board? etc. Don't mean to sound negative but my own experience says that lots of things go bad when a boat sits for 12 years on a trailer and they show up pretty quickly when you get 20 knots+ off shore. Just trying to say that you may be a bit aggressive in your plans.
Old 08-10-2007
I'm the FNG still...

Yes, the entire ship has been refit, plumbing replaced, electronics rewired or replaced, mechanical items rebuilt or replaced. Tanks are new (water, head, and fuel) with all new lines.

I just returned from a 9 straight day shakedown, witout having to return to port for one item. Everything worked ok for that trip, and I am planning on not crossing the gulf directly, rather sticking around the coast and making frequent stops every few days.
Old 08-10-2007
I'm the FNG still...

draft is only 3 feet... the computer at findacrew must have been in meters.
Old 08-10-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Whew...that put the Bahamas back in the picture! Sounds like you are ready...Good luck!

BTW...I got your draft off the coast guard documentation form on line. You might want to check that.
http://www.st.nmfs.gov/st1/CoastGuard/VesselByName.html