Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2007

svrenovatio is an unknown quantity at this point
Looking for individual or couple....

My wife & I are planning on leaving for a global cruise late in 08. Due to our limited sailing experience, we are hiring a full time Captain for the first 6 months or so to develop our skills and comfort level with our new boat. We have several we are working with currently. Once we have reached that comfort level, we will be looking for an individual or couple that might be interested in joining us at some point for an extended amount of time. The ideal person or couple would be that of a great amount of sailing experience but does not have the financial means to achieve this on their own. Experience and desire to sail the world are most valuable. This might seem to be a strange request but the more time I spend on this and other sailing sites, the more I see people that have such a love and desire to sail and see the world but have not (for whatever reason) had the ability to financially.

We are not looking for a baby sitter, captain or nanny. Just company and a desire. Our families would have been the first choice but no match exists. Our compensation for the individual or couple would include no cost for anything related to sailing or eating on board. There might be some financial compensation at a minimum and that is nego.

My wife and I are in our mid 40's. Most of our friends where we live are in the 50's+. We have no age preference. Just experience and desire.

Feel free to contact me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
You would help yourselves here by posting your boat's details, its safety equipment, your own level of experience and in what conditions, what (if any) supplemental experience or qualifications you intend on getting before you leave, and a projected course for the first year or so. The reason for this is that many people might want to join you for a week or two on passage (Newport to BVIs, ABCs to Pacific via the Canal, for instance), but this is premised on meeting the boat and getting dropped within reasonable distance to international airports. Some places, of course, require that crew have return tickets, or that the skipper posts a fat bond for them.

Others might wish to aid you in a trans-Atlantic, but might question your ability to deal with that at this stage.

Your request is actually very common and not strange at all. I am building a pipe berth in my forepeak workshop for the express purpose of giving a ride to occasional crew. Even if we can handle a passage by ourselves, a three-adult watch system is easier to handle in some situations, and usually safer.
Old 10-13-2007

Boat will be the new Passport 615. Details can be found on their web site. It will be outfitted for ocean crossings. Our experience is limited to some coastal cruising and lake Mich. That is why we are hiring a Captain for the first 6 months. We will have all the ASA certifications available (like that will mean something on our own boat) and I'm sure several blue water miles under our belts since it will be our goal to be sailing as much as possible for that first 6 months to gain knowledge and experience. We'll take as much time as necessary with he Capt. but most are telling us 3 or some months of full time sailing might be enough. In addition, the long ocean crossings will be with a documented captain with myself and friends as crew. Not sure what our specific route will be other then we will not be anywhere on the water area during their hurricane season (insurance and safety). The greatest advantage we have is our plan is open and time is not an issue.

I have several friends and associates with a lifetime of sailing experience in line for the ocean passages and the most difficult thing will be to turn some down.

When we began our search for a boat, our only criteria was that it was considered and had a history or being true ocean capable. Some may have chosen other builders but I have not found anyone that has questioned Passport as a go anywhere boat. It was a no brainer. It then came down to the company, reputation, value for the $ and our ability to work with the builder. W/S Passport won hands down. We were ready to fork out for an Oyster, Hylas, Morris, Hallberg-Rassy etc. We have not be displeased so far.
Old 10-13-2007

SanderO is an unknown quantity at this point
I think it is an interesting opportunity for the right people.

My own experience with being in a small boat.. and even a large yacht is a small boat in the big ocean is that the meshing of personalities is the real challenge.

Many people who you can have agreat time with socially, count as real friend turn out to be very different when you have to spend 24/7 on an ocean passage, challenging or not.

Sailors are actually loners, even when they are not single handers. They tend to have a deep attachment to doing things their own way. What happens when you have three boat owners on one passage... three captains but now one is the captain.

And we haven't even gotten to all the intangible aspects of our personalities which need to work together.

Just think about things like preferences for music or food. What you don't like an avoid you may not be able to or doing so becomes a issue.

I don't want to throw cold water on your plan, but the interview process needs to really get at all the working together issues, personalities, politics, and sailing skills, not to mention the power dynamics of being the captain but not having complete control.

How do you intend to qualify candidates?

I like the Passports!

jef
sv shiva
Old 10-13-2007

Hell of a boat for a couple, with a very "performance cruiser" hull form. I like the Solent headstay rig...Alex (Giulietta) would enjoy how hard you can likely drive this boat.

You could easily have three crew so you could have double-handed watches. It's also safe to say that you can afford all manner of safety, nav and survival geegaws. The variables are behaviour and skills.

Given that you're likely buying one of the first five hulls of a new line (I noticed they are using sims to illustrate the model), I would also guess that you are no strangers to innovation. I hope for your sakes that the 615 is sea-kindly, because that will have a big impact on how much you enjoy being on passage. I also hope that you can handle tasks like reefing down the sails mechanically if the power-assisted winches fail or the buttons short out. I also hope the main reefing system is simple and not in-mast. My point is that many of the labour-saving devices on today's production boats are potential failure points and are really suitable only for coastal sailing and proximity to repair facilities. Not being able to get the main in during an Atlantic gale is more than inconvenient...it can break gear and lay the boat over. Seventeen feet is a long way to drop across a well-appointed saloon.

I'm not trying to be negative here: Hal Roth sailed a Santa Cruz 50 solo as a racer, and he would have been about 60 at the time. But then he was Hal Roth . Sixty-one feet is a big boat: we stopped at 42 feet not because I couldn't afford or didn't want a bigger boat (a Kanter Atlantic 46 looked particularly nice), but because that's the biggest boat we felt my five-foot-something wife could handle solo in 30 knots, and the smallest boat we thought would work with two adults and a child focusing on independence from shore.

It's safe to say that unless both of you are Brad Liew sized, running this boat if the electrical aids fail will be a challenge. You might wish to specify huge winches and heavier than coastal running gear and just skip the electrical stuff, or at least have a Plan B. Same if you have in-mast furling or some other "convenience". I don't consider such devices appropriate for offshore outside of a racing context, but it's your money.

Last edited by Valiente; 10-13-2007 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-13-2007

Outside the major passages (Pacific & Atlantic) I don't see an issue that we couldn't handle regarding a mismatch with a "unique" soul for a week or so. We are very social and enjoy most others company. That being said, short cruises or spending some time with the prospective person or couple is the only way to test the waters. Telephone conversations and e-mail will give us a good start.

You are correct V. I am no stranger to the latest and greatest. I am a pilot and had my own late model Mooney and handling the Chart Plotter, Autopilot, GPS and all electronics will be a quick learn. We'll have at least 3 GPS back up systems incase all the electrical fails. We \were on the Chesapeake with some friends for a week last month and it was my first time using the Raymarine series chart plotter & autopilot and I had most figured out and was plotting courses and waypoints etc. in a couple hours.

Regarding the 615. Yes. Hull # 2. The Passport Vista series is a proven design and when Bill Dixon took the job to engineer and design the new 615, I was pleased. It's a risk with a new model but one I feel is very, very low. He has a stellar reputation for larger ocean cruising yachts.

The boat will be in-mast. I was leaning toward the Leisure Furl in-boom but had extensive conversation with other Passport owners with Selden in-mast and Bill Dixon. I feel very comfortable with it operating properly on the high seas. Of course I am concerned with it jamming in a gale but feel the benefits outweigh the possible issues. I have spoken with several Passport owners, many that have crossed the Atlantic and Pacific in their 470's and 515's with no issues whatsoever. I will be prepared in case as anyone would. “reef early and often”

Everything about the boat is being engineered to be handled by a couple with very oversized winches etc. in case hydraulics and electrical failure. I won't go out until we both prove to ourselves that we can furl all sails and handle the boat without power. The wife will not be on board for the crossing to FP or from Europe to US. I'm 6'4", 210 and in excellent health with former athletic experience. Wife is 5"6" in great shape and X-marathon runner.

We’re doing all we can to prepare. We had this plan in place before we ever read the Bumfuzzle experience. I have to say they seemed to lack the respect for the sea that we have but they did get it done. I respect certain things about their experience and can’t believe others. We could have bought a smaller boat and worked our way up coastal cruising but decided we could afford to have our 615 crewed the entire time if we wish and that would be the last choice once we get some miles under our belt but would to preserve the trip. I’m sure these Captains and crew would love the full time job but EVERY one is telling us we should be ready in 3 to 6 month sailing full time. I know everyone does not have this kind of choice and we feel very lucky for it. We did work hard and still are.
Old 10-13-2007

Glad to hear of it. Please consider starting a blog because you have a unique perspective of being relatively new sailors "going in at the deep end" in terms of your cruising ambitions and the modernity, complexity and sheer size of your chosen vessel.

I applaud your goal of seeing how the sails work "with the lights out". The electronics complexity is the least of your worries, to my mind. They are either on or off, and you either have a handheld or three and 48 AA batteries or you don't (or you have a sextant and an almanac and a recently set watch!).

No, the main issue for me on your behalf is the reliance on mechanical aids. If you have a physical option, I would use it on a regular basis not only to stay fit, but to keep it in good working order. Buttons fail, after all. Same rationale means I have manual pumps for bilge, toilet, galley and head sink water service, and even the windlass...with electricity there "just in case" my arms get tired! (OK, the head is a Lavac, so there's no electrical option. But I have pressure water and other electric geegaws...I just like belts *and* suspenders when contemplating offshore travel).

Good for you. Nice boat, too. I like the aft deck "garage"...makes things tidier.
Old 10-13-2007

SanderO is an unknown quantity at this point
If I am not correct, this poster put up a similar "request" on SSCA. If not it is remarkably similar. If so did that bear any fruit?

I'll caution you about getting on with people on a boat for short passages. You won't believe how your feelings can change about people on a small yacht at sea. That's MY experience.

I wish you well. I look forward to seeing and reading about the adventure.

Nothing like experience and that takes time.. don't it?

jef
sv shiva
Old 10-14-2007

kananumpua is on a distinguished road
renovatio,

I sent you a PM. I'm interested in the experience, not the pay. Plus I don't have the experience to warrant compensation. Let me know if you need an extra hand.
Old 10-14-2007

We will have a web site that we will post to and allow family & friends to follow our progress. Also to let them know when we have open space for visits.

Thanks for your input V. I'm the type that would crank for exercise most of the time anyway.

I've already have 2 GPS units (portable) that will work. With the boats and a couple hand helds, we should be at ease with where we are at all times. I do plan on learning a sextant for the simple fact that I love to learn new things and we'll have sooooo much time to do so.

We love the design too. The only thing is it looks like we'll only be able to have an 11 ft RIB. I'd like at least 12 but we'll get along :-)

Yes Jeff, I have posted elsewhere. I have received replies and have had some interesting offers. One is a long time licensed Captain and his wife. He has experience all over the globe and many ocean crossings. She is a school teacher that will be retired in a year and would love to join us at some time. Others are youth that and not looking for $ but fun and experience. We have time so I'm going to continue to look until we get closer.

I keep all the requests and contact info.

I have heard stories about crew and such not getting along. We plan on spending time to get to know them as much as possible but really, how can you be sure. Even friends and family (well, maybe even more) can get to be too close. I guess I acknowledge the issue but WILL NOT LET IT EFFECT my attitude about the offer or desire to cruise. There are tooooooo many things like that that seem to keep people from accomplishing their goals and dreams. Not here.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.