Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2007

Courlander is on a distinguished road
Skipper wanted BVI to Antigua Dec.20

Looking for skipper to accompany me to get my 43' catamaran from Tortola/BVI to Antigua on December 20, 2007. I'll cover airline ticket for return and common skipper fee. As headwing is guaranteed for this time of the year, no much chance to sail, so we'll be motoring with 6-7 knots and it should take 30-35h. Looking forward to hear from you.
Vilnis.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2007
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Welcome Vilnis. Whatever you do, just stay away from Capt TJC . Good luck on your search.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 11-16-2007

wiseleyb is on a distinguished road
I'm a terrible mechanic, pretty good at electronics, very good with computers, have NO catamaran experience but have done a ton of sailing, am good at navigation, can stay awake for insane amounts of time, don't frighten easily and have done BVI->Bahamas, Boston->Bermuda, Seattle-> San Francisco and most of the NE on monohauls. I'm also a restaurant trained cook/chef and scuba certified. If you don't find someone I'd be game (coming from Seattle) and would do it just for splitting air-fare (or probably less). Note - Capt/Skipper wasn't mentioned in there
Old 11-16-2007

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Vilnis - I will probably be in the BVI at that time; my flight back is on Xmas and I could put my boat on the hard a bit early and do this crossing. What are you looking for - an actual skipper to take control of your boat or just assistance in watches and navigation? Depending on the wind, the antigua trip might be enough to let you motorsail. Do you know the Cat or is it a fresh pickup? (posting this message from Virgin Gorda where the first boats from the 1500 have just arrived)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-16-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Hey Zan! any good stories from the fleet?
Old 11-28-2007

robbied is on a distinguished road
Vilnis,
30-35 hour is very optimistic for that trip. If the winds are very light you may make it in 48. It is usually about 20 to St Maarten which is about half way there. But in December the winds are usually blowing pretty hard, The current is always against you and you will be lucky to make 4-5 knots SOG.
6-7 is if you are extremely lucky

If you leave from Bitter End or Neckers rock at the top of Virgin Gorda and the wind is northerly enough can can sail or motor sail a good bit of it.

If you don't have a firm date and can leave in trough that is best as the winds and waves in the Anegada passage can be vicious. I turned back once going East to West from St Maarten to the BVI's before it was so bad with 30knots winds and beam seas breaking over the boat once out of the islands shadow. The problem is the current flows north and you want the wind from the north so the seas build up. Anyway the trip is not too bad with winds less than 15 knots but probably it will take a bit more time than 30-35 hours.

That said still need a Captain?
Old 12-02-2007

Courlander is on a distinguished road
Skipper to Antigua

hi robbied,

sounds like you have some fun from time to time on St.Martin jump, I haven't been so fortunate to get water over our cat on that passage, but of course it could get rough every now and then. Probably it depends as well on the size of your yacht and in this case our cat is solid 43' cruiser, so I do not expect too much of extreem this time of the year, nevertheless if it will look rough, we could always stay put in Tortola for another day or two.
The course I ploted on my MaxSea is closer to Saba and other islands down the chain, so if weather changes, we could get shelter there.
If you are interested to join me it'll be good to know more about your experience and other details, so let me know if you're still cool for it...vilnis