Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
Captain makes $15, crew works for free Or he can single-hand

Anyway, I see your point - but such is life. If I could pay $50/hr to those guys - I would. In fact, if I somehow end up getting a tax refund rather than owing Uncle Sam this year - I'll spend it on the most expensive captain, with a salty beard, a blue blazer, a parrot on his shoulder, smoking a pipe and all that, and cover his daily restaurant tab including a bunch of bloody maries or apple martinis - whatever he likes
As soon as the delivery contract is singed and the boat is handed over to the delivery "Capt" he is responsible 24/7. If he is at the bar and the boat sinks in the slip who are you going to point your finger at? Not your 'Capt." of course! One of my first rules was no alcohol was aboard or consumed until the boat was turned back over to the owner. A delivery is not an party cruise. The Carnival boats are made for that.

As for crew Payment. only fools and mules work for free.
Old 01-14-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
I'll do it

but I'm going to detour your boat south to BVI for 5 months just to let you know up front..
Old 01-14-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
I'll do it for free (expenses paid for obviously) if you provide 6 fair maidens to go forth wit.. (well 3 would be ok but that is the lower end of my bargaining power)....

You will not get a better bang for the buck (or should I say I wouldn't get a better....)...

Seriously...

Would be fun..

Quote:

Anyway, I see your point - but such is life. If I could pay $50/hr to those guys - I would. In fact, if I somehow end up getting a tax refund rather than owing Uncle Sam this year - I'll spend it on the most expensive captain, with a salty beard, a blue blazer, a parrot on his shoulder, smoking a pipe and all that, and cover his daily restaurant tab including a bunch of bloody maries or apple martinis - whatever he likes

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-14-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
brak - Don't know what my schedule is at this point, but if I'm heading that way around that time, I may be able to do it for you if you don't find someone first.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 01-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Brak-

I would also run this by your insurance company. I seriously doubt they'd be happy about a delivery captain singlehanding your boat the distances involved. If that's the case, the delivery captain may need to have their own insurance for doing the delivery. At the rates you can pay, I doubt it would even pay for the insurance costs, much less pay the captain and crew for their time.

Quote:

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-14-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Brak,
For what it's worth, I'd do it for the money you offered if I was qualified. It would be a nice vacation romp up the ICW on someone else's nickle.

But then again, if I was qualified and doing it as a job I'd probably want more
Old 01-14-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
I'll check with my insurance again, but from my previous conv. it seems I can let someone else drive my boat so long as their qualifications are acceptable (i.e. no worse than mine - and mine are not all that great, I am just a guy that sails occasionally ).

Anyway, all those offering your services - thanks And if I had even 3 fair maidens aboard - I'd never leave my boat (but my wife tends to get all worked up about that sort of thing).
Old 01-14-2008
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
I hired a professional crew - Chesapeake to Fajardo PR last year after I lost my volunteer crew because of boat and then scheduling problems. Capatain and mate - $500/day + transportation and meals, etc. Bottom line - although they were employed by ( an unamed ) national company - I would not have trusted them with my boat without me and my wife aboard. They were inexperience in sailing a boat my size and complexity and probably would have tried to motor most of the way ( and run out of fuel after 5 days).

They were warm bodies and took more than their shra of watch time but they should have paid us for the experience they gained on the seven day trip!
Old 01-15-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
speciald - I suspected that might be the case from time to time. This is one reason I don't know that I'd like to hand over big money even if I can afford to do so - I've seen my share of guys claiming all sorts of professional experience, whom I would not want to leave alone with my boat (well, may be if it was well tied to a dock and I had the keys).
Old 01-15-2008

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
BRAK

E mail me more specifics about the time and boat. My frined and I may be able to help you out. He has a 38 Hunter and I have a 35 C&C on the Chesapeake in Rock Creek. It would be good experience for both of us as we are contemplating doing the ICW down to Charleston next year. The amount of money is not the point for us, but e mail me with more specifics.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Closed Thread