Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2008

papazulu is on a distinguished road
Brak, man ,I cant believe im reading your posts with all your excuses for not just paying the "MAN". Some things just cost money. Thats a beautiful boat you have and surely worth a lot. Ask any insurance agent who is going to own the house(boat),after you let an unlicensed ,uninsured roofer on your roof and he falls off and breaks his back.
Old 01-30-2008
Sailing Instructor

SailSolomons is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to SailSolomons
Delivery to Solomons

Hi Brak, I've done this trip a couple of times and its taken me 7 days. This was without any breakdowns or mishaps. As some illustrious members have said, it's very inadvisable to travel on the ICW at night. The final leg up the Bay can of course be done at night. I am a USCG captain and ASA instructor and would be delighted to help you out if my schedule permits in April. I will be busy getting ready for the new season, but as I homeport in Solomons it would be easy for me. Please let me know if you get stuck and I'll see what I can do.

Andy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-31-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by papazulu View Post
Brak, man ,I cant believe im reading your posts with all your excuses for not just paying the "MAN". Some things just cost money. Thats a beautiful boat you have and surely worth a lot. Ask any insurance agent who is going to own the house(boat),after you let an unlicensed ,uninsured roofer on your roof and he falls off and breaks his back.
Based on current high quotes I might pay about 20% of my boat price for delivery She may be valuable to me, but she ain't that expensive.
Old 02-03-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Brak-
Fuel is going up but business MUST be going down. If I may suggest, if you don't get any acceptable quoites from reputable haulers, try pointing the converstaion this way:
"Well, I'd really like to ship the boat, but I can't come anywhere near that price. Are there any other options, any thing we can, to really get that down? I'm willing to be flexible, what can you do for me?"
Give them the opening, and let them know that IF they have a deadhead run available or they get another idea (like hungry) they can call you back. You never know what can happen--if you give them the invitation.
Old 02-03-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
That's good advice. I have never understood why more people don't haggle...it's not like the service or goods provider can't make a counter proposal that might be doable.
Old 02-03-2008
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Hi brak,

What are your issues with going offshore? I can probably run your boat up with one crew but I really dislike the ICW. Depending on weather it would probably be 3 - 5 days ...

I've been sailing 25 years on boats to over 50', mostly shorthanded. I sailed my HR 40 from Sweden to Annapolis last year.

Let me know if you want to talk.

Last edited by SVAuspicious; 02-03-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-05-2008

Dawnbreaker is on a distinguished road
brak,

I read your messages looking for someone to bring your boat up from Southport to the Solomons.

Brief history: I have sailed the ICW from Maine to FL for the past thirty five years. I have been up and down more than a dozen times. I have had six boats, from a 27 ODay to my most recent which was a Chuck Paine designed/Kanter Yachts built '64. You can find it on Chuck's website under his Bermuda Series.

At the moment I am boatless. I sold Dawnbreaker about a year ago. I am missing the waterway, I am more or less retired (still doing a little consulting), and I might be willing to do this just for the fun or it.

However, I would only do it if the boat is in good shape. There are usually some maintenance issues on a trip like this, particularly if the boat has been sailed much recently, which sounds like the case. I do most of my own maintenance, but I would not look forward to being stuck in the waterway with mechanical problems.

If you are interested, email me at... oops, it won't let me post my email address. OK, just Google Lawrence M. Miller and you will find my website and email address.

Larry Miller
Old 02-06-2008
Great Captain!

jim0123r is on a distinguished road
I think this position has been filled. I thought it was "mine" for a few weeks - and a couple of days ago, "Brak" told he had found someone cheaper.
Old 02-06-2008

mklscott is on a distinguished road
Sounds like no room at all for Murphy's law. A problem in the engine room could cause a delay and the crews' pay rate would be even lower. Mk-L
Old 02-10-2008

vt2009 is on a distinguished road
To Whom It May Concern-
I saw your ad for a low cost delivery wanted of a small cruiser from Southport to Maryland. I am a young sailor (21) but have spent the previous two summers teaching sailing. If you would like a copy of my resume which includes ASA Keelboat Certification, please email me at vt2009 at vt.edu. Myself and another more qualified crew such as one of my graduated friends from the sailing team here at Virginia Tech would be happy to deliver the boat for a cheap rate. I am no crooked, boozehound, or reckless sailor either. I have taught sailing to youth ages 6 to Boy Scout Leaders age 60 at both the Peninsula Yacht Club in Cornelius, NC and at the BSA Seabase Scout Sailing Center on the Pamlico Sound. I am experienced in the first leg of the journey sailing the outerbanks and sounds up to the Virginia Tidewater, which is a plus. So please email me with a fax number and I can send you my resume. I saw others laughed at your offer but I am taking this semester off of school to work sailing and am willing to take you up on it.

Last edited by vt2009; 02-10-2008 at 04:45 PM. Reason: changed "spend" to spent
Closed Thread