SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Need a crew member in Norfolk, Virginia Area?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  camaraderie 
#1 ·
My name is Christen. I'm looking for anyone who needs an extra crew member for racing this upcoming season in the Hampton Roads/Norfolk, Virginia area. I am originally from Maryland and was a US sailing small boat sailing intructor for three years at a camp. I raced (for fun, nothing hard core) Hunter JYs, Hunter Excites and was a part of a crew of 5 on an O'Day 22' for two summers. I currently own an O'Day 17', just a day sailer, and am restoring it trying to get it ready for the spring. I work during the day till 5:00/5:30pm, the same in the summer, so this may have to be an evening or weekend thing. I really want to get back into racing for fun. If you need a crew member, message me back. Or, if you know of any racing that I can join myself with my boat, let me know! I am new to the area. Thanks!! Oh, are there any local boat ramps or good sailing spots I should know about around here? The harbor is quite intimidating where I live, near Downtown Norfolk with the big ships and small rivers. :)

#3 ·
Try Portsmouth boat club. portsmouthboatclub dot org. (I don't have enough posts to do links yet).
As to boat ramps there are several in Virginia Beach, the lynnhaven inlet should be good very shallow though. There is a ramp just off Shore Drive at the lesner bridge. There is also Back bay again in VB.
The cove might also be something you might be interested in. It is by the high rise bridge on I64 in Chesapeake.
Then you also have the Elizabeth river both east and west branches, which right on your doorstep.
If you don't mind traveling a bit there is North Carolina 45 min to an hour drive. There you have the sound to sail on. Also very shallow in some places.
Hope this helps

#4 ·
Head South

Im not new to the area, just new to sailing. I just purchased a 1960 New Horizon 25' with a few buddies and plan on sailing the OBX. I live in currituck, NC about 30 min away and plan on trying the intercoastal waterway through chesapeake and norfolk where your at as well.

#5 ·
Willoughby has thursday night races that are great fun, with considerably better after parties. As for sailing out of the Elizabeth: Once you clear the carrier piers willoughby bay can be a mellow sail if you just want to screw around close to home with no large vessels until you get to the main channel. There is also a ramp right there as well. (4th view) From there its a quick sail to clear the hampton roads bridge tunnel and a great long day sail to the eastern shore and back. Three friends and I will be racing again this year, my first year as capt. (but we don't plan on winning as hull speed maxes at about nine, we are perf and aasc rated so that helps but there will always be a stern in front of us at the committee boat, but we sure have some fun) If you want to join us give me a pm. I am always looking for someone who wants to just sail as well. Bring beer eerrr rum.

#8 ·
island 50...you are looking at about a month from Norfolk to Miami with a little time for weather layovers and rest/sightseeing. Can be done in 3 weeks if under the gun! Same on the way back. Norfolk to Annapolis is about 24 hours any way you want to break it up. If you need to save time...suggest taking offshore hops sailing continuously on the way back in jumps of 2-4 days coastally till you reach BeaufortNC then spend 3 days to get to the Chessie. You can get to Beaufort in about a week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.