Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2008

johnniespaceboy is on a distinguished road
Smile Need some advice on how to start.....

Looking for a starting point into sailing, it has always been a dream of mine to sail around the world. I have travelled to all sorts of places around the world and the ocean seems like the last frontier. I am looking for a place to start, such as a crew job of some sort. I am young and relatively healthy and have no problem working hard but want to learn the basics. I want to sail the open ocean and was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Secondly I am interested in buying a trimaran (probably something around a 30-40 footer) and am looking for some buying advice from people with experience with these boats. I have never sailed before (have been on sailboats once or twice but never did anything to consitute calling it sailing at least for me). I have heard that trimarans are good liveaboards, and stable and seem to have ample room on them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Welcome to Sailnet.

If there's a yacht club or a marina nearby, go hang out, introduce youself to the people there and you'll likely get plenty of free advice, and possibly free experience. Many people routinely sail shorthanded (esp racing) and would be happy to take and train new people. Make sure you're reliable and show up when you say you will or you won't get a callback.

I'd get some exposure to boats of different types before taking the plunge and buying your own. Spend a season on OPBs (Other Peoples Boats) first. You'll make better decisions on your own behalf afterwards

Good Luck.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-19-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Faster gave you great advise. I would pick up a small cooler to bring some snacks and some beer, to say "thank you".
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Welcome to Sailnet. I'd highly recommend you read this post to get the most out of your time here on sailnet.

If you're looking to liveaboard a trimaran, I would highly recommend you not get a folding design. The folding designs will often have less space aboard due to their being designed to accommodate the folding requirement.

However, a fixed beam trimaran is often very difficult to find a slip for and often much more expensive to haul and launch. There are some very good designs that would work for living aboard and long distance cruising.

Be aware, that a 30-40' trimaran is a fairly expensive boat to purchase, own and maintain. I'd ask what your rough budget is for purchasing the boat, and highly recommend you set aside at least 15% of your total budget for refitting, modifying and upgrading whatever boat you do get, since sailboats are not like cars, where they are ready to go just off the lot. Most will require some modification to make them work for the way you will sail it.

Another option would be to make the boat yourself. If you have the resources and skills, you can make a 35' trimaran in about two years.

I'd also recommend reading the following books:

Sensible Cruising, by Don Casey, Lew Hackler
The Cruising Multihull, by Chris White
Multihull Voyaging, by Thomas Firth Jones

It would help if you said how old you are, and what resources you have... the more information you give about yourself, the better advice you can generally get.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-19-2008

petegingras is on a distinguished road
J-spaceboy,

go the the US or British Virgin's and charter a boat and a captain, especially if you want a multihull, and spend a week on the boat you want to purchase. I don't think triamarans are generally chartered, but maybe. Then talk to the captain, he'll have stories, and you'll get the feel of life aboard.

Every bar you go into, ask if bartender to introduce you sailing livaboards, he'll probably be one himself. This'll give you a peek at the sail around the world part.
Old 03-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One warning about Faster's advice... finding trimarans to crew on is going to be rather tough...since the majority of the boats are monohulls.

It would also help if you said where you are located... since local knowledge might make a big difference.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-19-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
One warning about Faster's advice... finding trimarans to crew on is going to be rather tough...since the majority of the boats are monohulls. .
Gee, thanks, SD.... I was trying to tempt him away from the "dark side"... now you've gone and ruined it....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-19-2008
Telstar 28

Faster—

LOL... My position as a SITH LORD requires me to deter you at every opportunity.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-19-2008
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Faster—

LOL... My position as a SITH LORD requires me to deter you at every opportunity.
Ah-hah! SD reveals his true identity as a Sith Lord - now we know his secret to obtaining high poster status.

Here's an archived photo of him getting fitted with an early prototype of his mobile computer with voice recognition software:

Old 03-20-2008

johnniespaceboy is on a distinguished road
ok well I am 23 years old, looking to spend somewhere around 20 grand, and live in Nevada right now (yes i know its not near any oceans) so that is kind of a problem as of yet..... i have an adventure truck I am putting on ebay soon and will help finance my trip...... any more ideas??? i mean is that too little money should I look for a bigger mono hull? i just really had my heart set on a trimaran