SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

looking for day crew on j/24, near melbourne FL

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
I've posted a few times, but this is the first I've been looking for a crew. I've tried single handing and I'm just not comfortable at that level yet, so:

I'm a new sailor, and new owner of a j/24. I'm down in Indian Harbor Beach, Florida, near Melbourne FL. I'm looking for folks looking to go out for some day sailing on the Indian and Banana Rivers. My schedule is wide open, and not limited to weekends.

I'd prefer finding folks who are more experienced than I am, but I'll consider beginners.

Anything else I should mention?

#2 ·
Yes, don't tell anyone it's a J24.

On a J24 only the skipper has a flat spot to sit, everyone else has to sit on a block or winch or stopper or some combination of the three. Yikes, you couldn't pay me to go riding around in one of those puppies, once was enough!

#4 ·
Yes, don't tell anyone it's a J24.

On a J24 only the skipper has a flat spot to sit, everyone else has to sit on a block or winch or stopper or some combination of the three. Yikes, you couldn't pay me to go riding around in one of those puppies, once was enough!
I'll admit there is a lot going on on the deck, and around the cockpit. But, I can bring cushions for those that don't like being a winch cover.

#5 ·
Get in touch. I heard there are some problems sending or getting private messages when you have less than 10 posts. I'll send you my phone number, or we could work out a time and place to meet right here.

If it helps any, I'm over at Telemar Bay Marina. You could just drop by.

#7 ·
Hello Tom,

If Tues afternoon around 1:00 pm I could meet your at your boat or at the clubhouse.
I just sent you a message with my phone number. If you didn't get it for some reason, we can meet up in the marina. There's a live-aboard restroom facility with seating out front, just inside the gates. If you have a life vest, bring it, or I'll need to run out and get one.

#8 ·
Hi Tom,

I'm not in FL at the moment, but I do occasionally visit my relatives in Rockledge. I have J22 sailing experience and would love to have some friends to sail with next time I'm down there.

#9 ·
Well, when that time gets close you can contact me on this site. I'm not sure how much longer I'll be in this area, but a check back should let you know.

For other news, went out on the water with the guy from above... won't use his real name in case he has issue with that. We had a nice sail, and he gave me a handful of good ideas. We had motor trouble coming back in :( But we got in! I'm having more, but different motor issues now, and still waiting for parts to come in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.