Crew neeeded IMMEDIATELY, Cabo San Lucas to Tahiti & New Zealand (5-6 weeks) - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Cam-

I'd have to agree with Billyruffn. The OP is asking the prospective crew to submit a CV without providing his own qualifications or much information about the boat, and seemingly take his word for the condition of the boat and the captain and first mate.

To travel on two-days notice is fairly unreasonable, given how expensive the airline tickets for such a flight generally are. The fact that his isn't willing to feed his crew or help with the expense of a full priced flight... bodes ill for other aspects of the voyage IMHO.

IMHO, this isn't a good idea for either the potential crew or the captain. As billyruffn points out, this really isn't the way good crew gets selected, or a good match is generally made.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Billy...I PM'd you.

Dawg...your initial post was out of line and if you'd done your unusual research you'd have found his basic resume right here in his first post. Sounds pretty competent to me:

Extensive experience on sailboats and motor yachts, Eastern U.S., Bahamas
and Caribbean - including 12 years of chartering and private yacht work
plus numerous offshore deliveries. Great at impeccable hands-on yacht
maintenance and staying within budget.

U.S. Coast Guard licensed Master, 50 tons offshore (upgrading to 100-ton),
as well as STCW-95. Sailing yacht charter captain (4 years in the
Caribbean and Maine). Many more years as a private motor yacht skipper and delivery captain.

Also established and managed bareboat charter company office (Sun Yacht
Charters in Antigua, West Indies).

Currently Port Captain for the Nantucket Boat Basin on Nantucket.

Easy-going, cooperative team player, good listener.

My resume is available for your review - please call me at 802-579-4557 for the web address...thank you.

I look forward to speaking with you - have a great day!

He is a professional skipper making a delivery and needing to immediately replace crew that left the boat with no notice. He makes an offer anyone is free to accept or reject....as he has done here several other times in the past. My guess is that he now has crew who are more than happy for the adventure and is underway. If not...maybe next time he'll offer more.
Old 04-03-2008

Lion35 is on a distinguished road
I gotta put my two cents in and side with CAM. The guy laid out the deal and asked if anyone wanted it, seems fair to me. If anyone doesn't like the deal they wouldn't jump, but there are people out there that would jump at it. I don't see how he misrepresented the circumstances and he seemed to layout the deal pretty well. A lot of delivery deals are last minute, has to happen now type of deals.

To everyone else's point, I wouldn't consider the deal because he's not offering airfare and I wouldn't have time for due diligence on the boat and skipper, but this doesn't mean he's out of line for asking. I have friends who have taken deliveries on as much notice with less info and had great sails.
Old 04-03-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakeCity View Post
I agree with the concept of unpaid work for experience and or adventure, but the way that posting was worded was to me offensive.
If I lived in the Cabo area and had the time, I’d give it a thought.
But the idea that I would have to stand in line to show my credentials for that privilege of paying a person who would address to me like that, no thanks! One can only imagine what they would be like to work for!
Cheers Q_C
Most people with such an elevated sense of self-worth are useless on deck anyway.

(the guy is looking for a rope-choker. I doubt that the rope-choker's feelings about how he's addressed when requested and required to choke rope are of much concern. I'll bet he's all hung up on that being the Captain all the time thing too!)
Old 04-03-2008

QuakeCity is an unknown quantity at this point
Lion35
You say "seems fair to me" yet go on to say "I wouldn't consider the deal because he's not offering airfares " I guess you wouldn't because there's nothing fair about the deal!
I agree there's no harm in asking, but it will be a cold day in hell before there's anything fair about that deal!

sailaway21
I guess you’d bring back the catoninetails for that type of lower class! Talk about elevated sense of self-worth! WOW

Cheers Q_C

Last edited by QuakeCity; 04-03-2008 at 12:41 AM.
Old 04-03-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Crew to me seems like a pretty vital component...It does make me wonder how come he could not postpone for a extra day or two to secure a good crew...
Would he have left the dock on his tight schedule if something else was amiss with the boat?...Then again maybe delays are why he was in a hurry now...

I would have jumped at a deal like that once in my life...not now .

I thought the post was OK....just a little bit demanding and rushed feeling...I Felt his frustration about having to be in this spot...

Lots of things could have happened...

FWIW..If I was told by my Doctor that I had 6 months to live last December, instead of my recent diagnosis of remission.... I would have taken him up on it..and I would have busted my butt for him and loved it...

Last edited by Stillraining; 04-03-2008 at 01:25 AM.
Old 04-03-2008

Lion35 is on a distinguished road
Hi QuakeCity,

Quote:
You say "seems fair to me" yet go on to say "I wouldn't consider the deal because he's not offering airfares " I guess you wouldn't because there's nothing fair about the deal!
I guess I didn't make my point very well (again.) I think it's completely fair for him to ask, but I agree with others the deal wouldn't work for me. This doesnt mean it isn't fair or OK for him to ask and post, or that it's not the perfect deal for someone else. Different people have different desires, time, experience, and financial situations.

I have a friend who crewed from Ecuador to Tahiti on a 41' cat this year on very short notice. He got his airfare covered but that was it. He just had the time and wanted to get back on the ocean after selling his tri a few years ago. There are people who can't afford their own boats but may be in MX or SoCal already and just waiting for a chance to crew across the Pacific.

There are also other people willing to pay big bucks for sailing lessons and experience, much, much more than airfare for a delivery with meals aboard covered. For instance, these guys are coming into our marina later this month Clipper Round The World Yacht Race I don't know what it cost them but I think they're paying more than airfare. Not apples to apples I understand but still.

Just my two cents, I really don't think the guy was out of line. One person's bad deal is another person's dream, that's all.
Old 04-03-2008

QuakeCity is an unknown quantity at this point
Lion35
I appreciate your point about what others would do for the chance to crew on south pacific cruise, but just because there are people who would wear such abuse doesn’t make it fair!
I want to leave this subject with this thought, I’ve read here in more than one post by Captains/Skippers saying they wouldn’t work for less than $2000 or so a week. Yet some of them would have you help them earn that wage at your own expense, people on this site more or less saying “you’re a rope-choker, your feeling or financial well being don’t or shouldn’t matter”
I getting the impression exploitation is the norm when it comes to sign on as a crewman!
CheersQ_C

Last edited by QuakeCity; 04-03-2008 at 03:17 AM.
Old 04-03-2008
Peace, Courtney

DJEVANS has a spectacular aura about DJEVANS has a spectacular aura about DJEVANS has a spectacular aura about
QC, I think you've made your point...all in all, I don't think it's worth the effort to get offended, really. The fellow made an honest request, was not rude, and is not obtaining crews by press gangs, am I correct? There are those weirdos (like myself) who if, given the luxury of time, would do a thing just for the experience and learning they can gain from it. Perhaps he was hoping to come across someone like that.
Welcome to SailNet, by the way.

DJ

-Mignon McLaughlin
Old 04-03-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
jim0123r vbmenu_register("postmenu_261516", true);

"I think this position has been filled. I thought it was "mine" for a few weeks - and a couple of days ago, "Brak" told he had found someone cheaper."

The above was copied and pasted from "deliver my boat to the Solomons" thread. As you can see this is our op of this thread.

Being in the delivery game for quite a few years, I feel sorry for this guy. He thought he had a delivery job lined up to take a boat to the Solomons until he was under bid. This is why I would ask the boat owner for a signed contract and 1/2 down to secure the "date."

Now he has boat going Cabo San Lucas to New Zealand, nice work if you can get it. I can almost bet you he had his crew lined up before he committed to this delivery. It sounds to me that he had a crew member who backed out at the last moment. It could have been, that the boat owner had already payed for travel expenses for this crew member ie. airline ticket that went unused when the crew member didn't show up.

I would also bet you that the boat owner will not Ok more expense money as he would tell the Skipper "you agreed to move the for X number of dollars and if you can't do for that, I will find someone who can." Our good Skipper is between a rock and a hard place. I am sure that is why his post was writen the way it was as he has no up front funds and would have to reach into his own pockets to cover expenses for the new crew member. Just how deep those pockets are we don't know.

It is the spring of the year. A new delivery season has started. Let the games begin.

Last edited by bubb2; 04-03-2008 at 05:27 AM.