SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Crew Wanted/Available (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/)
-   -   Crew neeeded IMMEDIATELY, Cabo San Lucas to Tahiti & New Zealand (5-6 weeks) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/41774-crew-neeeded-immediately-cabo-san-lucas-tahiti-new-zealand-5-6-weeks.html)

jim0123r 03-29-2008 02:24 AM

Crew neeeded IMMEDIATELY, Cabo San Lucas to Tahiti & New Zealand (5-6 weeks)

We need to replace a crewmember, just two days before we are ready to leave Cabo San Lucas to go to Tahiti (and on to New Zealand). We will be ready to go Monday morning 3/31 - looking for a crewmember who can get here Sunday 3/30.

The vessel is an Adams 50 steel cutter, has circumnavigated 3 times. Sound boat, sound captain and first mate...easy going and experienced.

This is a NON-paying position. Airfare to boat in Cabo and from destination will be your expense, as will the food while in port. Food underway is covered by the boat.

It will be about 25 days Cabo to Tahiti and another 13 days (Tahiti to New Zealand).

If interested, please respond *immediately* WITH DETAILED CV - boat experience (type of boats and sizes), passages, references - to me at jim0123r (AT) gmail.com...Sunday 3/30...thank you. Please include phone number, as time is of the essence at this point.

I will be reviewing all applicants at dinner time (Pacific Daylight Time) 3/29 and will call right after that. The person selected will need to book his/her flight and leave Sunday morning to get here Sunday afternoon/evening.

All the best -
Jim

camaraderie 04-02-2008 05:47 PM

I have deleted the negative posts and responses above. This is not off topic and Jim is making a legitimate request for crew. If you don't wish to apply and don't have anything helpful and factual to members to add, the negativity is not helpful or in keeping with the goals of this site. Cam

QuakeCity 04-02-2008 07:41 PM

With all due respect camaraderie, too many here this post would be deemed to be unhelpful and against the goals of many who visit this site.

CharlieCobra 04-02-2008 07:58 PM

I'm curious. Isn't 25 days from Cabo to Tahiti a bit optimistic? Even for a 50 footer.

camaraderie 04-02-2008 08:09 PM

Quake... You mean the original post? Why? Anyone can set their own terms for crew and any crew can set their own terms for captains/cruises. No takers means you better change your terms. Too many takers means you can raise the requirements next time.

artbyjody 04-02-2008 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim0123r (Post 291313)
We need to replace a crewmember, just two days before we are ready to leave Cabo San Lucas to go to Tahiti (and on to New Zealand). We will be ready to go Monday morning 3/31 - looking for a crewmember who can get here Sunday 3/30.

It's a bit late now anyways - stated they left 3/31...

QuakeCity 04-02-2008 08:38 PM

Ok if I post a request for a paying slave to crew my boat, would you not find that offensive? Because mate, there’s a fine line here!

camaraderie 04-02-2008 08:52 PM

Actually...if you'll look in the archives...unpaid crew positions...even ones that ask crew to share expenses are quite common. Many people will do all sorts of things to live their dream of sailing the ocean. You may call it slavery...but there's dozen's of guys sitting in offices right now thinking...I wish I could get away for a month to sail as crew to the South Pacific. People sign up for months in advance and HOPE to be selected each year to crew on the ARC and Caribe1500...many are left at the gate since there are far more wannnabees than positions available. Maybe not that common down under...but quite a regular practice here.

QuakeCity 04-02-2008 09:08 PM

I agree with the concept of unpaid work for experience and or adventure, but the way that posting was worded was to me offensive.
If I lived in the Cabo area and had the time, I’d give it a thought.
But the idea that I would have to stand in line to show my credentials for that privilege of paying a person who would address to me like that, no thanks! One can only imagine what they would be like to work for!
Cheers Q_C

billyruffn 04-02-2008 09:53 PM

Cam,

I'm sorry you found my post 'negative'....with all due respect, somebody who asks for crew as the skipper above has done (i.e. send me your CV on day one, I'll review it and email you on day two, you fly in on day three and we leave in the morning for a month long passage.......)..... Well, come on, that's just nuts. Anybody who would take him up on it is nuts. Embarking on an extended ocean passage is a serious business. Selecting the right crew plays a key role in the safety of the boat and the success of the passage. There are lots of nuts in the world who just might fly in and make this skipper's trip a nightmere, or this might be a skipper who could put some newbie dreamer's life at risk. IMHO, this just isn't the way that competent seamen go about crewing boats for long offshore passages.

Believe me, as I speak from first hand knowledge -- spending three weeks at sea with a skipper who's got a screw loose can be a terrifying experience. And unless you have time to test the skipper and boat (which this guy was not offering), how do you know that a screw isn't loose?