Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2008

RobertoH is on a distinguished road
Skipper & Crew Pricing?

Hi all,

I an new to this website and looking forward to spending a great deal of time sailing through the site pages.

I need some input from those experienced in crewing up a sailing yacht for a rather long voyage. I will shortly own a 63' racing yacht, and plan to move it from Africa to Taiwan. First off, I am not highly experienced; leave it at that. I will be looking for a skipper and crew to manage the trip, with me as a "learning" passenger. Although I there are a lot of questions I would like to ask, I will leave the questions to those related to this specific forum.

1. How much can I expect to pay for an experienced skipper and crew?

2. Do I pay by the nautical mile, or daily rate?

3. Apart from the Skipper, how many crew members would be an acceptable minimum? (I will hopefully ramp up quick enough to at least be somewhat of a productive crew member).

4. What should the crew be responsible for: their own kit (weather/deck gear), insurance?

5. Would it be best to source skipper and crew from the departure country, or destination country?

By the way, I will outfit the yacht with whatever instrumentation and equipment would be required to allow for ease of navigation, overall operation, and safety.

Any real world input would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2008
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
Expect to pay $3-5 hundred per day + transportation costs door-to-door + all meals.Your insurance would cover but they may want to review the crew's qualifications for your trip. There are some companies that provide crew - search the net. I had to hire crew two years ago to go to Caribbean to Puerto Rico. The cost was about $6k for the trip. The crew, though said to be experienced; had never sailed in a boat as large as mine (60ft) and were not experienced off-shore sailors. They were bodies to do watches but I would not have let them take my boat on the passage without me aboard so be careful with crew selection.
Old 04-10-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoH View Post
Hi all,

I an new to this website and looking forward to spending a great deal of time sailing through the site pages.

I need some input from those experienced in crewing up a sailing yacht for a rather long voyage. I will shortly own a 63' racing yacht, and plan to move it from Africa to Taiwan. First off, I am not highly experienced; leave it at that. I will be looking for a skipper and crew to manage the trip, with me as a "learning" passenger. Although I there are a lot of questions I would like to ask, I will leave the questions to those related to this specific forum.

1. How much can I expect to pay for an experienced skipper and crew?

2. Do I pay by the nautical mile, or daily rate?

3. Apart from the Skipper, how many crew members would be an acceptable minimum? (I will hopefully ramp up quick enough to at least be somewhat of a productive crew member).

4. What should the crew be responsible for: their own kit (weather/deck gear), insurance?

5. Would it be best to source skipper and crew from the departure country, or destination country?

By the way, I will outfit the yacht with whatever instrumentation and equipment would be required to allow for ease of navigation, overall operation, and safety.

Any real world input would be greatly appreciated!
1. The price is all over the clock. I would do it for the fun of it if you paid my way there and home again.

2. I would expect that most Captains would quote you a daily rate that will vary depending on the condition of the boat, the crew you hire and the amount of training you want.

3. The number of crew will vary depending on the boat. If it is a pure racing yacht, and you want to sail it, quite a few may be needed. If you just want to motor it it could be two or three.

4. An experienced crew should arrive with the proper clothing and safety gear. If they don't have it then they are likely not experienced and should be really cheap or free.

5. I would not limit myself to folks from either country. I would ask someone for a recommendation.

Given a few more details, I may be interested in skippering or crewing for the price of a return ticket. If you are interested in my help, P mail me.
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217
Old 04-12-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by speciald View Post
Expect to pay $3-5 hundred per day + transportation costs door-to-door + all meals.Your insurance would cover but they may want to review the crew's qualifications for your trip. There are some companies that provide crew - search the net. I had to hire crew two years ago to go to Caribbean to Puerto Rico. The cost was about $6k for the trip. The crew, though said to be experienced; had never sailed in a boat as large as mine (60ft) and were not experienced off-shore sailors. They were bodies to do watches but I would not have let them take my boat on the passage without me aboard so be careful with crew selection.
Excuse my delay in responding; bad internet for a few days. Thanks for the expection of pay. It will give me some kind of idea what to budget. And, thanks for the crew selection warning. I will definately use a fine tooth comb to check backgrounds.
Old 04-12-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumper View Post
1. The price is all over the clock. I would do it for the fun of it if you paid my way there and home again.

2. I would expect that most Captains would quote you a daily rate that will vary depending on the condition of the boat, the crew you hire and the amount of training you want.

3. The number of crew will vary depending on the boat. If it is a pure racing yacht, and you want to sail it, quite a few may be needed. If you just want to motor it it could be two or three.

4. An experienced crew should arrive with the proper clothing and safety gear. If they don't have it then they are likely not experienced and should be really cheap or free.

5. I would not limit myself to folks from either country. I would ask someone for a recommendation.

Given a few more details, I may be interested in skippering or crewing for the price of a return ticket. If you are interested in my help, P mail me.
Thanks for the information Plumper; all good food for thought. I haven't decided on which direction to go with crew, as it is much more expensive than I anticipated. I received your PM and will get back to you; now that I have my internet back! Thanks again.