I an new to this website and looking forward to spending a great deal of time sailing through the site pages.
I need some input from those experienced in crewing up a sailing yacht for a rather long voyage. I will shortly own a 63' racing yacht, and plan to move it from Africa to Taiwan. First off, I am not highly experienced; leave it at that.
I will be looking for a skipper and crew to manage the trip, with me as a "learning" passenger. Although I there are a lot of questions I would like to ask, I will leave the questions to those related to this specific forum.
1. How much can I expect to pay for an experienced skipper and crew?
2. Do I pay by the nautical mile, or daily rate?
3. Apart from the Skipper, how many crew members would be an acceptable minimum? (I will hopefully ramp up quick enough to at least be somewhat of a productive crew member).
4. What should the crew be responsible for: their own kit (weather/deck gear), insurance?
5. Would it be best to source skipper and crew from the departure country, or destination country?
By the way, I will outfit the yacht with whatever instrumentation and equipment would be required to allow for ease of navigation, overall operation, and safety.
Any real world input would be greatly appreciated!