Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2002

gtsnell is on a distinguished road
Hawaii to New Zealand

My wife and I (both inexperienced sailors)are planning an around the world trip. To cover the leg from Hawaii to New Zealand we are investigating crewing opportunities.

Here''s my question: Taking into consideration weather and the number of opportunities that might be available, would we be better served trying this in September or January (or does it make no difference)?

Thanks,
GT Snell
Boston, MA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2002

MaryBeth is on a distinguished road
Hawaii to New Zealand

Sorry, but my question is, as inexperienced sailors, why would you even think of trying this?

Get experience elsewhere before trying to get on an overseas voyage. Please do not try to land a position on a boat where you will be out of sight and sound of land and not have the experience to help in an emergency. You will only be endangering other''s lives, as well as your own. When you are 3,000 miles out, there are no mulligans.

Please be honest with the people you are interviewing with. Perhaps there are some who will be able to be well enough crewed to take you on short passages so that you can gain some offshore experience. That would be a great start.

Sorry to sound harsh, but I have been stuck with crewmen (and women) who lied about their experiences and when the crap hit the fan, they peed their pants (some literally) and refused to be pried out of their bunks to help lash down the mainsail so we could sail barepole.

As for the weather and times of the year, don''t try to reason with hurricane season, especially when you have little experience.

If you still insist on doing an around in the near future, please consider the nice cruise ship packages available.

Best of luck if you''re willing to learn,
MaryBeth
Old 06-24-2002

gtsnell is on a distinguished road
Hawaii to New Zealand

Okaaaaaay, let''s try this again.

My wife and I are inexperienced sailors. I had noticed, however, when looking at crew wanted postings there are sometimes opportunities on boats/trips for people without experience, but who are willing and able to learn. We thought such an opportunity might be a great adventure to add to the mix of our upcoming around the world journey.

If you think you might be able to answer some basic questions about how we might get started, please drop me an e-mail.

Otherwise, please feel free to post messages here impugning my intelligence, integrity, and general worthiness as a human being and potential sailor.

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2002

Viceroy is on a distinguished road
Hawaii to New Zealand

No disparaging remarks but suggest that some helpful hints can be found elsewhere. Send me an e-mail with your e-mail address and I''ll send you three pages of ocean crossing observations for the inexperienced. Its too big for the board to handle. No spam, nothing but my personal experiences. 126 happy responses have been sent on the "Cruising" board (second page of 40)Cheers, Richard.
Old 08-11-2002

anneminix is on a distinguished road
Hawaii to New Zealand

excuse me for droping in, but i would love your info on "oceans crossing" 25'' coastal boater tks
Old 08-20-2002

bdkorth is on a distinguished road
Hawaii to New Zealand

Hi,

Not a knowledge base here by any means. My wife and I bump the level of inexperienced sailors to all new levels! I just wanted to drop a note of encouragement and well wishes. My wife and I are working (in Idaho of all places) on someday becoming cruisers and going around also. I greatly enjoy reading about other people that are already well on the way to accomplishing that goal.

Good luck on your journey and adventures.

Brad
Old 09-05-2002

piclarke is on a distinguished road
Hawaii to New Zealand

Hi,
There are plenty of boats that are prepared to take on inexperienced crew providing they pay. Just make sure the Skipper is experienced and the boat has all safety equipement and it all works. I have been on plenty of boats that answer yes to my questions only to find that it doesn''t work. In addition to do you have- does it work- do you or can I use it as well must be asked as well. I have been on a boat where the skipper has said no using the rubber ducky if I not going ashore. No using the shower. No using the electric capstan. Cyclone season is 01/11/02 to 01/05/03. Accordingly Sep is the best time - Jan a NO NO. Hope this helps.