Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2008
Catalina 320

jnsailing is on a distinguished road
Long Island - Friday 7/18

Supposed to move my "new to me" baby from Huntington to Port Washington on friday 7/18 but my scheduled crew member just cancelled - Anyone interested in helping deliver her? Thanks.

Catalina 320
College Point, NY
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I am out on Lloyd Neck tonight and have delivered my own boat from East Hampton to Steppingstones (and farther) before. Have also had my 27 footer in Huntington Harbor before and grew up sailing on Hempstead Harbor so I know the area pretty well. If you need crew then PM me and I can we can talk if you want company for the trip.
The only thing that might foul up my availability is a possible plan to go sailing on my 19' Lightning tomorrow with old friends but potentially remote. I am a good sailor/navigator and the weather tomorrow looks like SW winds which could mean it would take a while. How well tuned up is the motor and what boat is it?
If you want to email me I will check it as early as I get up (@9). email calebjess at AOL dot com. Phone here is area code 631 and phone number is: aha-1tr0 (use the phone to figure out). You would have to get me back to Huntington somehow.
I am 50, smoker, good natured, good crew and handy on boats.
In any case I wish you well.
Caleb

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-18-2008

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Just got an email from the jn. His trip is postponed.
Old 07-18-2008
Catalina 320

delayed

Work and family have conspired to delay moving the boat - Don't they realize just how trivial these things are compared to sailing? - Looks like sunday will be the new BIG day

John

Catalina 320
College Point, NY
Old 07-20-2008
Catalina 320

Big day

Well today was the day - had my daughter along as crew (energetic and eager if not knowledgeable) - ended up being a very long 7 hour trip from huntington to port washington - day started out nice with winds from the sw at 5-10 - of course the sound lived up to it's reputation and we sat almost becalmed for a length spell but then the winds filled in from the sw at 15-20 and it made for some nice sailing except the destination was right into the wind and all that wind did make for an interesting time docking - at least now it's home and closer for me to get to

John N.

Catalina 320
College Point, NY
Old 07-21-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Senior Moment is now 'home'.

John,
Glad to hear that you had some wind for your delivery and that your daughter was crewing for you. Maiden voyages can be fun if a bit harrowing but you had plenty of wind even if it was right on the nose.
I thought of you when I got down to the beach on Lloyd Neck with my wife around 1300. Sailboats were scudding about and enjoying the SW breeze which later built to 20+ where I was. I was looking for your boat heading west and south but I guessed that I got down to the beach to late to watch you pass by. Since I don't know what the boat looked like and did not have binoculars I could only speculate as so many sailboats headed northwest towards Stamford.
My only regret was that I did not get to take my own Lightning 19' out in the freshening wind of the afternoon as we awaited my sister coming home to her house there. The Lightning is more of a sailing dinghy and racing boat and would have been a very exciting ride which was not in the cards for us. We had a nice swim in the Sound though. Not many jellyfish yet.
Glad to hear that you made it 'home' with "Senior Moment".
Caleb

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.