Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2008
Kona

Tropiccafe is on a distinguished road
Female Crew Wanted

Looking for female crew for a 40 ft sailboat with some experience.
We are a married couple in our 50's retired and ready to take on the right person as crew for our annual trip to the Bahamas. There is no pay but the potential for experience and fun is endless. Send all email to liv4sun@gmail.com

Boat 40 foot sloop/convertible cutter
Year 2007
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropiccafe View Post
Looking for female crew for a 40 ft sailboat with some experience.
We are a married couple in our 50's retired and ready to take on the right person as crew for our annual trip to the Bahamas. There is no pay but the potential for experience and fun is endless. Send all email to liv4sun@gmail.com

Boat 40 foot sloop/convertible cutter
Year 2007
Going to move to Crew Wanted....

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-10-2008
WAFI

astraeus is on a distinguished road
Why are most the crew wanted posts for females?

"I used to be wise for my age, but then I got older."
Old 09-10-2008
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road
Guys are smelly and all around just more offensive?
Old 09-10-2008
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThumbs View Post
Guys are smelly and all around just more offensive?
What the @!#$&* you talkin about?!?

I never did understand the fascination with female crew. Well, maybe I do if you're looking for bow candy, but I don't see where having a male crew would put you at a disadvantage. When I look for crew, I don't care what parts they have, just that the job gets done.
Old 09-10-2008

davidpm is on a distinguished road
In this case I suspect the OP's wife is making the decision.
Old 09-11-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
I have used crew on two voyages. Once a guy with sailing experience delivering boats and the other with a young girl (23) who had hardly been on a sailing boat before. The one qualifying statement about the girl is that we have known her all her life but that is academic to this comment.

The guy "knew it all" and was constantly interfering with the running of the ship in ways that he was not invited, making poor decisions when on watch alone and generally was a PITA. We got rid of him at our earliest opportunity.

The girl by contrast knew nothing and made no pretences of knowing anything. She did exactly what she was told to do, nothing added, nothing omitted. When on a night watch alone, she would call me if anything happened that was out of the ordinary. A light on the horizon, a wind shift, unusual noises, anything. She never made bad decisions because she never made any decisions. Only by the time we got to the end of the voyage was she making some decisions but they were based on what she learned from us so in our view she always got them right.

I spoke to a very seasoned voyager years ago and he said that he only ever uses younger (because they're generally fitter and stronger) ladies who know nothing of sailing because that way his extensive sailing experience is never challenged.

My second experience was exactly that and I'll never have a male stranger on my boat as crew again. Ever.

So it's unfair to suggest that we choose younger ladies for reasons that are frivolous or dishonarable.

Andre
Old 09-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Andre-

And this whole time, we just thought you were a dirty old man...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-11-2008
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
I have used crew on two voyages. Once a guy with sailing experience delivering boats and the other with a young girl (23) who had hardly been on a sailing boat before. The one qualifying statement about the girl is that we have known her all her life but that is academic to this comment.

The guy "knew it all" and was constantly interfering with the running of the ship in ways that he was not invited, making poor decisions when on watch alone and generally was a PITA. We got rid of him at our earliest opportunity.

The girl by contrast knew nothing and made no pretences of knowing anything. She did exactly what she was told to do, nothing added, nothing omitted. When on a night watch alone, she would call me if anything happened that was out of the ordinary. A light on the horizon, a wind shift, unusual noises, anything. She never made bad decisions because she never made any decisions. Only by the time we got to the end of the voyage was she making some decisions but they were based on what she learned from us so in our view she always got them right.

I spoke to a very seasoned voyager years ago and he said that he only ever uses younger (because they're generally fitter and stronger) ladies who know nothing of sailing because that way his extensive sailing experience is never challenged.

My second experience was exactly that and I'll never have a male stranger on my boat as crew again. Ever.

So it's unfair to suggest that we choose younger ladies for reasons that are frivolous or dishonarable.

Andre
Now lets compare apples and a rod iron fence.

Last edited by zz4gta; 09-11-2008 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-11-2008

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
Master under God!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Andre
Once it has been established that the "final" decision will be mine AND that in the event of a crisis situation we will not be having committee meetings I am perfectly happy to have my "extensive sailing experience" challenged. As unlikely it as it sounds, I have come to accept that there is a very slight chance that I might on rare occasions be "wrong". Life must be very simple for people who surround themselves with newbies to prevent themselves being "challenged".