SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Crew Wanted/Available (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/)
-   -   Looking to crew/learn on Lake Norman (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/47335-looking-crew-learn-lake-norman.html)

ckgreenman 09-21-2008 10:26 PM

Looking to crew/learn on Lake Norman

Hello, I live on Lake Norman (Denver) and am looking to gain some experience and knowledge on something bigger than my 8 foot sabot. Unfortunately I have a regular 9 to 5 so I'm only available evenings and weekends but if you need an extra pair of hands during that time, I'd love to hear from ya.

Chris

jackytdunaway 09-23-2008 06:31 PM

I am at Holiday Marina up Davidson Creek. All you have to do is a full detail on the boat including polish wax and you got a ride. I like to look at myself so there has to be a good reflection.

ckgreenman 09-23-2008 09:38 PM

How about I buy lunch and bring the beer?

jackytdunaway 09-24-2008 06:05 AM

Damn, I hate these tough negotiations! PM me with your contact info. I'd be glad to take you out. i am still learning myself so don't expect an expert and a lot of knowledge but there is sailing and fun to be had.

tschmidty 09-25-2008 08:15 AM

I actually live in Charlotte and would love to get out as well if you have room for a third! I actually just bought a Newport 16 on a trailer but need to do some work before I can get it in the water. We have had great weather for sailing this past week.

tschmidty 09-25-2008 08:25 AM

I can't PM since I just joined so reply to this thread or send me an email at tschmidty with yahoo.com as the rest.

ckgreenman 09-25-2008 08:30 AM

Hey, tschmidty, I'm curious was that Newport 16 you bought located in Albemarle?

tschmidty 09-25-2008 10:59 AM

Yep, it was/is in pretty rough shape. The whole seam between the hull and topside (except the transom) was broken and had been siliconed back together. Lots of fun cleaning that out. I built a lift and pulled the top off and am in the process of fixing some bad repairs and damage on the edges.

Basically I bought a hull, a mast, and a trailer for $300.

I have a few pics here, on photobucket, but I can't link to them. You can go there and search for tschmidty69.

You can see where I started to prop up the front after separating it. It actually was held together by the silicon caulk but with a ton of gaps of course. I decided after poking at it that it needed to just come apart to do the job right. It really shouldn't be too long until I get it going though, but we'll see. If not I have a trailer for my next boat!

ckgreenman 09-25-2008 11:05 AM

I offered him $250

ckgreenman 09-25-2008 11:09 AM

If it ends up being too much work, I'll buy the mast from ya :). I've decided that I want to build one and it's gonna be around the 16 ft range too.